I-94 east ramp to U.S. 20 to close April 3 for major realignment

Maps and press release from Indiana Department of Transportation

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is alerting drivers to the closure of the I-94 east ramp to U.S. 20 east (Exit 40A) on Monday, April 3, through early July. This closure is part of an interchange modification safety project, where crews will realign the exit ramp and traffic pattern to U.S. 20, ensuring traffic exiting I-94 will not have to compete for position with oncoming U.S. 20 traffic. This will increase safety for traffic both exiting I-94 and already travelling on U.S. 20.

INDOT is also alerting motorists of lane restrictions that will be in place along U.S. 20/35 near the ramp through the duration of the project.

This project is a $5 million interchange improvement investment that INDOT has awarded to Rieth-Riley Construction. Once the ramp realignment is completed, Rieth-Riley crews will also improve the approach lanes of I-94 leading to exit 40A. INDOT will alert drivers prior to the start of that work and will have details on how traffic will be affected in that area.

If you choose to follow state-designated detours, here are INDOT’s directions: Drivers traveling east on I-94 wishing to exit onto U.S. 20/35 east will be detoured to Exit 40B, the U.S. 20/35 westbound cloverleaf ramp, west on U.S. 20/35 to the I-94 westbound ramp, and west on I-94 to the U.S. 20/35 eastbound ramp.

For more information, call the LaPorte INDOT office at 1-855-464-6368 or email laportedistrictcommunications@indot.in.gov.

13 Responses to “I-94 east ramp to U.S. 20 to close April 3 for major realignment”

1. Wow

Mar 24. 2017

Drive this route everyday and haven’t noticed people “competing” for position on 20 enough to warrant a $5,000,000 remodel. This makes no sense. What are the crash stats??? Couldn’t tax money be better spent elsewhere on 20??? And no offense but I’m sure Rieth-Riley will use every bit of those three months judging from their work on 94 last year.

• Have to Disagree

Mar 24. 2017

I also take this exit every day to work and I use the ramp around 5:30 am. Even at that early hour, with not much traffic, it’s sometime difficult competing with traffic crossing over to the turn lane onto 35. I have to time it just right by either slamming on the gas or slamming on the brakes and let them cross over before I can enter 20 east.

2. DH

Mar 24. 2017

This is an excellent project. I’ve always had concern when driving on US 20 east to 35 south. Semis & cars coming off the 94 ramp are dangerous for cars on 20 trying to get onto 35 south.

3. Bill

Mar 24. 2017

Good idea. I have been almost run into by a driver coming from I94 who thought he had the right of way instead of yielding to traffic on US 20. Of course it was my fault so he gave me the finger.

4. Wow

Mar 24. 2017

Looks like I’m in the minority here. Oh well, I guess people can keep getting hurt or killed on other parts of 20 so other people can have an easier time merging off of 94. Leave it to INDOT, take a seemingly minor problem and turn it into the project of the summer. Gotta keep wasting tax payer money and time so their budget doesn’t get cut next year.

5. Have to Disagree

Mar 24. 2017

WOW….I don’t consider it a waste of taxpayer money. And besides, they are going to be spending a considerable amount of $$$ redoing Hwy 20 from 35 up to the 20 & 2 intersection. I see they started doing some work today near Fail Rd. It’s about time they fix the pot hole capital highway in LaPorte County.

6. Have to Disagree

Mar 24. 2017

And another thing WOW, if you travel this highway twice a day to and from work have you observed all the crazy drivers who don’t obey the speed limits in areas like by Renaissance Academy or near Fail Rd? They drive like idiots even in bad weather. Like Mike Kellems said of the LaPorte County Sheriff Dept…A lot of these accidents are driver error….Just my 2 cent opinion.

7. lawman

Mar 24. 2017

MOST of the recent accidents have been driver error. everyone is always so concerned with fatalities and if you say anything on line they jump on you. yes its hard to say a person who was killed is at fault-many say blaming the victim. three out of the last four fatal wrecks on 20 were from a CAR-NOT SEMI-crossing the centerline of a 4 lane hiway in broad daylight. seems to me someone was distracted and I am sure a cell phone was involved

8. Wow

Mar 24. 2017

Areas near fail road are exactly what I’m talking about. This article says they’re spending $5mill on this exit ramp. I’m confused on how that affects 20 near fail road and other places like that. My two cents say spend the money on a center barricade or a grass median like on 2. If you think $5mill is a good investment to make merging off of 94 easier, I have ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

I don’t disagree that 99% of crashes are driver error. In fact I’ll bet 99% of people getting the finger when they’re trying to get in the southbound turn lane are caused by driver error too.

9. sally dipert

Mar 24. 2017

If you have ever sat at the 35 and 20 light waiting to turn east on 20 you know something has to be done, semis come flying off of 94 and don’t even try to get in the driving lane before coming through the light. they come 3 abreast on a road that has only 2 driving lanes, and you can’t see them coming if you are sitting waiting next to a semi waiting to turn west on 20 at the 35 light. very dangerous situation there! Drive that area every day, thank you INDOT for finally doing something about it.

10. Mama sez

Mar 25. 2017

Well they should of put a stop sign on the 94 Eastbound off ramp a long time ago. This way those exiting 94 Eastbound on 20 would have to stop. That there would of simply made thing safer for all involved.

11. len

Mar 30. 2017

so basically going home via westbound 94 entrance at 5pm will be a disaster.

12. Bonnie cummins

Apr 04. 2017

If people coming off 94 would learn what yield means. They come flying off never looking to their left, so people on 20 have to watch out for them.