Blaine Gamble, 1921-2017

Blaine Gamble has seen his last Notre Dame game. He succumbed April 17, 2017.

He was born in Mishawaka, IN, on May 3, 1921, to Lorenzo B. and Anna Jewel Gamble, who preceded him in death.

He had one sister, Eileen Albini of Northbrook, IL, and was preceded in death by a brother, Warren Gamble.

He is survived by his wife, Doris C. (Cutler), whom he married on Aug. 25, 1951, in Millidore, Wisconsin. He has one daughter, Shirley Jean (Milo) Borden of Martin, Tennessee, and a grandson, Matthew Daniel.

Blaine initially became involved with drum and bugle corps when he was 8 years old by becoming mascot for the Mishawaka American Legion Post 161 Drum Corps. As an eighth grader at Battell School, he was named drum major of the Mishawaka High School Band. He designed the letter formations and drilled that unit. He also served as drum major during his high school years.

Blaine served in the Pacific Theater during World War II and was a member of New Carlisle Post 274 American Legion and Rolling Prairie Post 9423 Veterans of Foreign Wars. He received his undergraduate degree from Milton College in Wisconsin and earned his Master’s at the University of Notre Dame. He continued to play an active role in drum and bugle corps, directing as well as playing in several units. His efforts won him a nomination into the All American Drum and Bugle Corps. He was also a member of the All American Judges Association. He was inducted into the Drum Majors Hall of Fame in ceremonies at Notre Dame.

Blaine worked at football and basketball games at Notre Dame, spending 30 years in Section 31, where he served as Senior Captain. This was the student section, so a sophomore explained to him why the student body chanted “Rudy” during that famous game.

He began his teaching career at Palmyra, Wisconsin, High School, where he coached basketball. An attractive beginning teacher rode the fan bus to all the away games, which convinced him he wanted her for his wife. After five years at Palmyra, the couple moved to Lakeville, Indiana. It was there they were joined by a daughter. Four years later he moved to New Carlisle, Indiana, where he taught History and Economics. He was active in coaching throughout his career and produced two state champions in track. Palmyra won a tri-state meet, the prestigious La Crosse Peacock Relays. New Carlisle won the Goshen Relays and established meet records in two events. As New Prairie Cross Country Coach, Blaine inaugurated the New Prairie Invitational and incorporated the Agony Hill as part of the course.

Blaine served as a member of the Board of Directors of Teachers Credit Union and was a member of the New Carlisle Lions Club, serving one year as President. He was also named a Melvin Jones Fellow by Lions International. He wrote sports copy for the Mishawaka Enterprise and Janesville Gazette and began writing part time for the LaPorte Herald-Argus in 1960 so he could get his students’ athletic accomplishments in the paper. Upon retirement from teaching, he worked full time for the Herald-Argus. It wasn’t until his grandson was born that he realized why so many grandparents welcomed him to games.

After his stroke, which created Doris as his primary caregiver, Blaine realized how fortunate he was that she rode that fan bus. In 2012 he and Doris moved to Martin, Tennessee, where he was able to see his grandson graduate from college. He also became a member of the Skyhawk Club.

A funeral service will be held Friday, April 21, at 1 p.m. at First United Methodist Church in Martin with Rev. Randy Cooper officiating. Burial will follow in East Side Cemetery, Martin, with Military Honors. Visitation will be Friday at the church from noon until the service. Murphy Funeral Home, Martin, is handling arrangements.

Memorials may be made to the University of Notre Dame, the University of Tennessee Martin, or New Carlisle United Methodist Church.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.murphyfuneralhome.net.

13 Responses to “Blaine Gamble, 1921-2017”

1. Sandra Provan

Apr 19. 2017

I remember Blaine as a very knowledgable, entertaining and kind man when he worked at the H-A. My sympathies to his wife and family.

2. Jackson Weir

Apr 19. 2017

Fare thee well Mr. Gamble

3. Bill Gangwer

Apr 19. 2017

I have so many fond memories of Blaine covering my track and cross-country meets during my tenures at LPHS. He always looked for the “story within the story” and would even go as far as to offer coaching advise as to where certain athletes should run on relays and other events. His journalistic articles were personal, insightful and always laced with several of his Blaine-isms. I’ll be sitting at school and at home remembering a man that just had a way of making people feel good about their athletic effort through his words.

4. Barry W. Halter

Apr 19. 2017

Sorry for your loss, I held Mr. Gamble in very high regard as he was always there for all his students . He wrote with great passion on all the sporting events he covered. He always told it like he saw it. He will be missed by many. Rest in peace ,you touched the lives of many young men and women.

5. Paul Lindeman

Apr 19. 2017

Blaine served as a volunteer coach with the LPHS Boy’s Track Team for at least the 1993-96 seasons. He was instrumental in teaching technique to the athletes, and in sharing his track wisdom and experience with the coaches. He always had a smile on his face, and had a positive attitude. He rewarded senior athletes by taking them to dinner over at Notre Dame. Always a true gentleman, I am happy to have had the pleasure of coaching with Blaine. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

6. Jan (DePoy) Thode

Apr 19. 2017

I had Mr. Gamble as a teacher at NPHS and I worked on the school newsletter under his guidance. Several years later, while working at LP Hospital as OR Manager, Mr. Gamble passed by my office while the door was open and couldn’t help but notice my Cubs office fully decked out in Cubs pictures, chairs & memorabilia. He ended up writing a Lifestyle article for The Herald Argus about me and my Cub fandom. 🙂 He was a kind and generous man and one that I’ve never forgotten. Rest in peace, Mr. Gamble. My thoughts & prayers are with his family.

7. Mary Hill Frey

Apr 19. 2017

Rest in Peace Sir. You have always had a special place in my heart from thoughtfulness and kindness. Although I didn’t have you as a teacher, I was part of the Cougar Cadets and learned to march under your guidance, something that came in handy in the Air Force. You will be greatly missed by so many. May God rest your soul. My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this most difficult time.

8. Helenann

Apr 19. 2017

I remember Mr Gamble covering the LPWBA Hall of Fame banquets for the Herald Argus. He actually attended the banquets and personally interviewed the inductees and the guest speaker, a bowling professional. He was an old-fashioned journalist. Never the same after he retired. Prayers for his family.

9. Pat Zoll

Apr 19. 2017

One of the great characters of the Herald-Argus team. Blaine coached the Herald-Argus basketball team on many occasions. He would go “all Bobby Knight” on you if you messed up. We loved it……………..thanks for all the stories and memories coach.

10. Laura Bladecki

Apr 19. 2017

Blaine Gamble was such a wonderful teacher. I admired him in class and FTA. He will be missed by everyone that he touched their lives.

11. Tom Keen

Apr 20. 2017

Mr.Gamble was always very special to me, with the loss of my father at a very young age Mr.Gamble kept a keen eye on me. Definitely my all time favorite teacher. I will see you again. With all of our love Tom and Jan Keen

12. Gail Sauers-Fickel

Apr 21. 2017

I was fortunate to have Mr. Gamble as my Econ teacher in High School. He taught information that has helped me be a better money manager and understand our country’s monetary system. Years later I was fortunate to become aquainted with his very intelligent and energetic wife Doris when we served on a New Prairie Schools committee. The two of them made a truly dynamic couple. I am very sorry for his family’s loss. May he rest in eternal peace.

13. JIM NAPIWOCKI