Alfred “Al” Lenard, 1926-2017

Alfred “Al” A. Lenard, 90, of LaPorte, died Sunday, May 7, 2017.

He was born Aug. 28, 1926, in LaPorte to Frank and Helen (Cziakowski) Lenard.

Alfred owned and operated Lenard’s Bar for many years. He was a member of St. Peter Catholic Church and Sacred Heart Catholic Church in LaPorte, American Legion, and VFW. He served his country in the Army during World War II, in the Pacific. Al enjoyed hunting, fishing, mushroom hunting, gardening, walking in Kesling Park at 5 a.m. every day after he retired, watching western movies, and socializing while he shopped the local grocery stores. He was also fond of the Cubs, especially during the 2016 championship season.

On June 26, 1948, in LaPorte, Al married Anne M. Cashmer, who preceded him in death on May 15, 2006.

He was also preceded in death by his parents; sister, Bernice Starzyk; and brothers, Stanley and Harry Lenard.

Alfred is survived by three sons, Richard (Janice) Lenard of LaPorte, Garry (Kathy) Lenard of LaPorte and David Lenard of Englewood, FL; and six grandchildren, Jennifer, Alan, Katie, Jordan, Joey, and Nikki.

Visitation will be at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, on Friday, May 12, from 4 to 8 p.m., where a parish Rosary will be recited at 6 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held Saturday, May 13, at 10 a.m. at St. Peter Catholic Church, LaPorte. Family and friends may gather at the funeral home one hour prior to the Mass on Saturday.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Miller’s Merry Manor, 3520 Monroe St., LaPorte, IN 46350; St. Peter Catholic Church, 1101 Michigan Ave., LaPorte, IN 46350; or Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 201 Bach St., LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

16 Responses to “Alfred “Al” Lenard, 1926-2017”

1. I’d like to offer my condolences to Al’s family & friends. He was such a kind, funny, caring man.
    I know your missing him but remember all of the wonderful memories you have of him & share them with each other.

He will always be in your heart with all the love he had for you & you for him & in your mind with all the many things & memories you’ve made together. May he rest in peace & watch over all of those he loved.

2. Mike & Pam Higley

May 09. 2017

Al will be missed he and Annie were wonderful people and always treated everyone like family, My respect to the family. Mike

3. Brian L. Graham

May 09. 2017

Rich and BurrHead, I am so sorry to hear this. My last memory of your father was from the bar. Bob Heck and I were playing two on one against Burr on the hoop beside the bar, and your dad came out to watch. He quietly told you to quit settling for the jump shot and drive the ball. Long rebounds tended to end up on the tracks.

Celebrate the great life he led.

4. Mary Hiigli

May 09. 2017

To all the family. I so enjoyed meeting and talking to Al when I was cleaning house for Rich and Janice. I thank you for the opportunity it provided me to get to know this wonderful guy. Thinking of you all.

5. Tim Parks

May 09. 2017

One of the good ones, he will be missed. Rest in peace.

6. Mike McFerron

May 09. 2017

Rich, Burr, Dave & families – My sincere condolences. Al was a great guy who touched many lives in LP. I have many fond memories of he and Annie. Their kindness, generosity, and good humor were just a few of their numerous attributes.

Cheers, Mike McFerron

7. Craig and Debbie Kuta

May 09. 2017

To all the Lenard Family, So sorry for your loss ! Al was a wonderful man! He was always so kind and happy to see Craig! He will be missed by many! Ours thoughts and prayers are with you at this time of loss!
    The Kuta Family

8. Patrick O'Neil

May 09. 2017

So sorry to hear of Mr. Lenard passing.My condolences to all of the Lenard’s. Al was our assistant coach in Pony league with Bob Mumma. Always greeted me with smiles and compliments and in the future as his tavern. Great sons that I am happy to know and enjoyed the times together. I know Al is in heaven smiling down with pride.

9. Michael Zych

May 10. 2017

My prayers are with the family. Growing up on Warsaw street with all my childhood friends was the best.

10. Rachel Anderson

May 10. 2017

Lenard Family,
    Sorry for your loss. Al was a great guy. Always enjoyed waiting on him at the bank. He knew everyone that came into the bank too.
    He is with his Annie that he missed so much.
    Memories are the best to remember them.

11. Gregg Forszt

May 10. 2017

I’m saddened to hear about Al’s passing. Even though its been over 40 years since Al & Ann’s bar was my home away from home I’ve often thought about them and the good times and great food I enjoyed there. A couple of days ago was the 20th anniversary of my dad’s passing so a lot of La Porte memories are fresh in my mind. My deepest condolences on your loss. May the great memories that you have of Al sustain you in your grief.

12. Jim Lofton

May 10. 2017

Dear Lenard family,

I am very saddened and still crying my eyes out as a write this.

Al and Annie were beautiful people, caring, loving family, and friends.

I have known Al, ANNIE, Rich, Burr Head, and David and Als siblings

for many years. May Al rest in peace and join his beloved Annie !

I will miss him so very much, but my memories will always be mine.

13. Linda Arney

May 11. 2017

I just saw this while in class, and it was all I could do to not tear up in front of them. Al (and Annie) were my first employers, and being around them my entire high school career and working there until I was married was a major cornerstone in my life and how I try to live it. I will never forget Al’s smile everytime I ran into him over the years…

14. Dave Jablonski

May 11. 2017

Words cannot express my sadness hearing Al has passed away. What a great man, he will be sorely missed! To the Lenard family, sorry to hear of your loss. I was very lucky to spend some time with Al and Annie and had many great times. Everyone was always family at Lenard’s. RIP Al, till we meet again.

15. Bear

May 13. 2017

Having a bit of a problem to express my feelings with Al’s passing. He always seemed to be everywhere. You couldn’t keep him down. What a classic Tavern he and Annie ran. So many great times had there by all. So many laughs…. He not only greeted you with a welcoming hello there, but also anywhere. Richie, Burr, and Dave and the rest of the family, my heartfelt condolences. The Royal couple are now united again for all eternity. Al, this Buds for you.

16. Ted Johnson

May 15. 2017

HEY, What a wonderful person him and Ann were.
    Fond memories of them and Stan also.
    We sure had some good times with that gang !!!!

I live in Cocoa Bc. Florida, so haven’t seen him for awhile, but have excellent memories of their place.