Glen Rucker, 1926-2017

Glen Rucker, 90, of LaPorte, died Monday, May 15, 2017, at Miller’s Health and Rehabilitation in LaPorte surrounded by his family.

He was born Aug. 16, 1926, in LaPorte to John and Sophie (Jankowski) Rucker and was a lifelong LaPortean.

Glen was a talented athlete, graduating from LaPorte High School in 1944 after competing in the ISHAA Basketball Championship.  He later attended Valparaiso University.  He served his country in the Navy during World War II.  He was a member of PNA, Union Mills Conservation Club, past president of La Porte Old Timers Association and a frequent visitor to Ye Olde Pipe Shoppe. Glen retired from the U.S. Postal Service in 1988 and enjoyed his retirement fully.

Glen was an ardent LaPorte Slicer fan and loved to participate in and watch live sports of all kinds. He loved to fish and hunt and was known for his generosity and good humor. He always had a smile on his face and a joke and a sucker to share.

On May 28, 1949, Glen married Jacqueline (Severs) and together they celebrated 44 years of marriage before her passing in 1993.

Surviving are his seven children, Rebecca (Tom) Stupeck, Marcia (Dave) Shannon, Lisa (Matt) Bennett, Janet (Les) Robertson, Jeff (Mary) Rucker, Merry Rucker, and Gina (Tim) Teets; nine grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and one brother, Franklin.

A celebration of Glen’s life will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, May 26, with a prayer at 7 p.m., at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte.

Memorial contributions in Glen’s memory may be made to the LaPorte High School Athletic Department, 602 F St., LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at esslingfuneralhome.com.

15 Responses to “Glen Rucker, 1926-2017”

1. Jerry Gray

May 18. 2017

Hello Rucker Family,

My condolences at your loss. I’ll always remember your Dad’s smile and laugh.

Epo

2. Gail Johnson

May 19. 2017

My prayers are with you as you celebrate a wonderful, long life. May your memories keep Glen close in your hearts until you meet again.

3. glen wade

May 19. 2017

My condolences to Glenn,s family

4. Brian L. Graham

May 19. 2017

A true Slicer for life, I will always remember his huge, booming laugh when he would spend time with the butcher shop boys at LeRoys.

5. bob

May 19. 2017

I will remember Glen with a big smile and a sincere hand shake , my condolences to glen’s family .

6. Sally Bachman Bergman

May 19. 2017

I’ve so many great memories of Glen at the post office! He was one of the good guys! Work was always great fun with him around..been missing him ever since he retired.. praying for all his family. He was so proud of each and every one of you. Godspeed Glen..

7. Karen

May 19. 2017

I’d known Mr. Rucker since I was a little girl. He and my dad played baseball /softball for many years. I always enjoyed seeing him at different sporting events or other places, he would always have a great story to tell. He certainly will be missed. Prayers to his family.

8. Cyndi & Dan

May 20. 2017

What a wonderful tribute to a life well-lived. He will be missed by so many who loved him. Our prayers are with the family during these days. You had an amazing Dad who loved you all so much!

9. Patty Kegebein

May 21. 2017

Jeff, Gina and families- so very sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family!

10. mike pruden

May 22. 2017

I’ve known Glenn for many years. From seeing him at the Civic watching our league basketball games. When I came early I would go up and visit with him for awhile. Also, out at Scharf and Lions field, watching the softball. And later, as trustee for the P.N.A. Conservation Club. Glenn was a great asset and ambassador for our club. He especially enjoyed working the fish pond at the fair.
    Also, would visit with him at Al’s east coffee shop.
    I enjoyed when I would need to give Glenn a phone call, and was greeted with his daily joke on the answering machine.
    Glen lived a full and active life, and will be remembered by everyone that he met.,
    I am so happy that I had the pleasure to have known Glenn.
    So sorry for your loss.

11. Kevin Ott

May 22. 2017

Our prayers for comfort going out to the Rucker family.

12. Bruce

May 24. 2017

R I P Susie. See you at the ballpark above.Thoughts and prayers to the Rucker family.

13. Cathy Bornell

May 25. 2017

I’m so sad to hear of your loss. Your father was such a delightful person to know. I can remember him at all my boys ball games. hailman school. He always had that special smile. Prayers to all.

14. Jon Keene

May 27. 2017

Your Dad was a great guy. Always quick to make everyone smile.He worked with my dad at the post office for years. Sorry for your loss. Hold fast to those good memories until you see him again!

15. Penny Kirkham

May 28. 2017

Glen will certainly be missed by all the neighbors. In the summer he would walk uptown and back – and we would visit each morning. I will miss running into him at Wal-Mart and Mama T’s. When fall hit we all knew it was Popcorn Ball time at the Rucker house. The day after Halloween I’d have a care package hanging on my door. Thanksgiving it was a smoked Chicken. When Winter hit he’d plow from his end of the block all the way down to my end. What a blessing he was to all of us. Now he is in the Spring time of his eternal life – RIP, my friend, RIP.