Maria Cepeda, 1921-2017

Maria C. Cepeda, 95, of LaPorte, Indiana, passed away Sunday, June 25, 2017.

She was born December 15, 1921, in Carolina, Puerto Rico, to Jose Pilar and Lucia (Orozco) Rodriguez.

Maria retired from the American Rubber Corporation after 23 years of service. She was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, LaPorte.

On June 15, 1955 in Carolina, Puerto Rico, Maria married Alejandro Cepeda, who preceded her in death on April 23, 2001.

Maria is survived by her daughters, Carmen Watkins of South Bend, Indiana, and Yolanda (Nile) Rose of Huntsville, Texas; son, Alex (Connie) Cepeda of LaPorte; grandchildren, Chad, Kyle and Cassandra Cepeda, Katie (Dr. Steve) Spiritoso, Julianne (Zach) Stangebye, and Angela, Joseph, Grace, and John Watkins; and great-grandchildren, Gwendolyn, Bruce and Jay.

A son-in-law, Bruce R. Watkins, and siblings, Rosalina, Andre, Luca, Lola, Juan, and Ana, all preceded her in death.

Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, June 30, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, where a Parish rosary will be recited at 4 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, July 1, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, LaPorte, with Reverend Ian Williams officiating. Burial will follow in Pine Lake Cemetery, LaPorte. Family and friends may gather at 9 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home.

A special note of thanks to Dr. Israr Sidiqi, the entire staff at Kindred, ER staff at Elkhart General Hospital, and Heartland Hospice for their care and love on behalf of Maria.

Memorial contributions may be made to Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 201 Bach St., LaPorte, IN 46350; or Heartland Hospice, 230 W. Catalpa Drive, Suite D, Mishawaka, IN 46545.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

11 Responses to “Maria Cepeda, 1921-2017”

1. mary essling

Jun 26. 2017

Dear Carmen….I’m so sorry to hear about your Mom. She was so dear. You and your family are in my prayers. Mary

• Carmen Watkins

Jul 02. 2017

Dear Mary:. How kind of you to remember my mom. Thank you for your compliments and prayers. The funeral home lived up to its name. Have a beautiful summer. Love Carmen and family

2. Robyn (Ruple) Karkiewicz

Jun 28. 2017

Dear Carmen, I am so sorry for your loss. Your mom was so wonderful. I am keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Robyn

• Carmen Watkins

Jul 02. 2017

Dear Robyn: thank you for remembering my mom and taking the time to acknowledge us in our loss. Diane and Linda came from the old St. Joseph Grade School. They looked beautiful. Perhaps I can get together with you gals in days ahead. Have a blessed summer. Love, Carmen and family

3. Judy (Goethals) Jourdan

Jun 28. 2017

Yolanda and family, so sorry for the loss of your mother. From the days of working at Bernacchi’s I still recall with fondness you and stories of a loving family. Good people stay in our hearts – even after many years. May joyful memories bring comfort. Judy

4. Carmen Watkins

Jul 02. 2017

Dear Judy: On behalf of Yolanda and the family, thank you for remembering us and our mom. Your words were so sweet. Yolanda doesn’t have a techy phone to reply, so I’m doing it. May you have a beautiful summer. Love, Yolanda,Alex, and Carmen

5. So sorry to hear about your mom.

6. Richard Pate

Jul 13. 2017

Yolanda and family, so sorry for your loss. I just saw the notice and sorry I missed the service. Please accept our condolences and sympathy. You are in our prayers.

• Carmen Watkins

Jul 17. 2017

Dear Pate Family:. Thank you for your kind sympathy. Yolanda sends her personal thank you. Blessings to you and your loved ones.

7. Carol Belzowski Welsh

Jul 15. 2017

Carmen,
    So sorry to hear of your mother’s death. I have many memories of her kindness when living on Pulaski Street and afterwards when we would meet. My prayers for you and Alex and Yolanda.

8. Carmen Watkins

Jul 17. 2017

Dear Carol:. Thank you for your kind and loving words. Pulaski was a special place to live and grow up. We also were very thankful to have lived our lives by your family throughout the years. You all are a blessing to our family. Much love to you, Dick, and your family