3 overdoses in 1 day within blocks of one another in LaPorte

LaPorte Police responded to calls of three drug users who overdosed on the same day within blocks of one another. All three were revived with Narcan.

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017, police responded to the 200 block of Jefferson Avenue and also to the 300 block of Maple Avenue.

At the Jefferson Avenue residence, they found a 19-year-old female lying on a porch, unconscious and barely breathing. Bystanders had started CPR. Police administered a dose of Narcan and LaPorte EMS and LaPorte firefighters soon administered another dose. She then became alert. She admitted to using heroin earlier. She was transported to the hospital. Witnesses told police the woman showed up at the home and passed out after getting out of a vehicle.

At the Maple Avenue residence, police and EMS responders found a man, 22, and a woman, 21, lying on a front porch. The male was barely responsive and the female was unresponsive. Both were administered doses of Narcan and transported to the hospital.

52 Responses to “3 overdoses in 1 day within blocks of one another in LaPorte”

1. Tax payer

Jul 12. 2017

STOP wasting my tax dollars on these people !!! Let them OD its natural selection.

• Name (required)

That’s an awful comment

• Joe

YAAASSS!!!

• Wowjustcrazy

Jul 14. 2017

Your “tax” dollars would still be wasted on something stupid so why not let it save a life besides many of us file taxes at the end of the year and get a large chunk of it back so let it save a life if anything

• Amen!

Jul 15. 2017

I couldn’t agree more… it’s such a waste … I hate to be crude or calus… But it’s wasted resources…. I’ve lost many close to me over this drug, and I deal with its addicts daily… I use to think it was a disease, but faced with the problem head on I have come to the realization it’s a choice. And you can choose to beat or let it beat you!

2. Steve

Jul 12. 2017

Let Nature take it’s course !! smh

3. John

Jul 12. 2017

I completely agree with Tax payer and with Steve. Let ’em OD and leave ’em be.

4. wanaspk2

Jul 12. 2017

This is so sad. Some may say it is a waste of tax dollars to save these people who overdosed, some may say let nature take its course. Which I assume that means let them die. I wonder would these people feel that way if it were their son or daughter or grand child. I know for my self if it were one of my family I would be thankful they were alive. Because maybe almost dieing was they last straw, maybe they would want to seek help, maybe they have another chance. Just my opinion as well as the others.

• Politely Disagree

Jul 15. 2017

I have to say regardless if they were my friend or family they made the choice. And coming from someone who works with and deals with these individuals regularly, more times than not almost dieing means nothing but the chance to go out and get their fix again.

5. Name (required)

Jul 12. 2017

I can’t believe people now a days . We all make mistakes in life . I believe that some need another chance in life . Some of my close friends have OD from herion and it’s a bad addiction. I wish they had gotten help before it’s to late they had passed away and left their family , kids and friends here to suffer and it’s very sad to see there family ,kids and friends suffer because they lost someone that OD and it was to late for them to get. We should as a community come together not apart.. God Bless 😊

• Fools game

Jul 15. 2017

I too have personally been affected by this and unfortunately you’re sadly mistaken

6. lawman

Jul 12. 2017

some of these have had multiple chances. a lot of people are tired of the cost. its a two sided debate folks and I side with the first three comments.

• Name (required)

Go figure
      Prolly a cop with lawman as their name
      People like u make me sick
      Disgusting
      Ur a waste of a breath

• Phil

Jul 13. 2017

Hey name required how is it a waste of breath if he is typing… What if this happened to someone you loved or a friend would you want them to die. I sort of understand about your tax dollars but you still should be concerned. Prayers go out to the families

• Grow up

Jul 15. 2017

Take a look in the mirror and read your comment…

7. Left LaPorte

Jul 13. 2017

Totally agree with the comments about letting nature take its course! I know personally since I have a relative with a substance abuse problem and absolutely refuses help! Several trips to the hospital haven’t convinced them, nor are they willing to seek “free” help! As cruel as it may sound, try looking at it from the family point of view and maybe you will understand our frustrating side of the argument.

8. Name 2

Jul 13. 2017

Wow that’s pretty sad, what kind of people are you? I am a recovering heroin addict and have 14 months clean. I have changed my life. I am a great mother, have a good job, nice house, car, etc. I spend a ton of time with my family. I have been working on my credit. How dare you to think you are the one that gets to say it is too late for those people. Shame on you!

• One in a million

Jul 15. 2017

You’re one in the humpteen who are the opposite… go you! Be proud of yourself! No shade! Recovering is seriously incredible and you are unlike the vast majority

9. New lease on life

Jul 13. 2017

As a recovering addict and alcoholic who had many chances as well. I now have almost 25 yrs sober thanks to nobody giving up on me. I did cost the taxpayers money with my stints in Jail and rides in police cars. Today I am a respectful member of this community. I am a business owner, father, grandfather, and husband. I am a Christian and I give to others in need and help others when I am able. Thankfully nobody said that I wasn’t worth one more chance.

10. Concerned citizen

Jul 13. 2017

One dose given for first timers. They should receive counseling that their names will be put on a list that is a DNR list for EMTs. Too many return visits by EMTs and police costing Everyone else because they ( drug user) do not have a job or insurance or means to pay this bill. Who pays for this life style? Those of us that work and pay taxes to support our emergency services. What about other people that need those services but the EMTs or police can’t get to them because they are at a scene with a drug overdose? One time and you’ re out!

11. Denise

Jul 13. 2017

Would you let your kid die. Over tax dollars? They already feel unworthy in MOST cases. Want to die because of MINDSET. Definitely not thinking….and people that remind them their lives are not worth even the cost. SMH. I want to HELP them. HELP them realize their worth. If one shot could be the one that opens their eyes to life, or 100….it is WORTH that life. My opinion. We have NO MENTAL HEALTH FACILITY IN OUR TOWN. But we do have haters that are all about money spent to actually SAVE LIVES.

12. FRED

Jul 13. 2017

So what happens to them now? Nothing. They are allowed to do it again. They should be put in a mandatory drug rehab program. Another thing, they should be required to reimburse the county for the Narcan if they can afford the drugs.

13. Mari

Jul 13. 2017

La Porte sure has some very hateful people living here, No compassion for a addict. Hope it never touches your families or loved ones. What if one of your loved ones would die, do you really think that would be the answer to there problem? And would you still feel the same way? If so, I pray for God to forgive you… Maybe you should read up and get educated on what a addiction does to a person. How many people do you know that are addicted to cigarettes or alcohol???? And they can’t stop using. Humm I guess it’s not that easy!!! The brain is telling you that you need it to maintain. It is a mental and physical addiction. Maybe you should be trying to help come up with a solution and not choosing to close your eyes. Because “death” is not the answer….Please open your heart and try to understand. Death is NEVER the answer to any problem.

14. Noname

Jul 13. 2017

The problem with giving narcan is that those people will abuse it. It is enabling them to keep using. Just like calling addiction a disease. It lets them use that as an excuse to keep doing it. People are going about trying to fix the problem. this is not the way to do it. If narcan is going to be used there should be a limit to how many times it can be given to one person. It’s going to back fire the way its going now.

15. Name (required)

Jul 13. 2017

You would want grace if it was your son or daughter .We need to be careful of how we judge others.( It’s not our job) because it could find itself at your door. No judgement here just stating some facts.

16. Lp citizem

Jul 13. 2017

I agree with the first three.. 3 strikes your out..

17. smh

Jul 13. 2017

I have lived on Jefferson St., right in the middle of it all, for 4 1/2 years. When I first moved here, every one was a pill junkie or a drunk walking up and down the street. Now every one is overdosing on heroin. The overdosing has been going on for over 2 years now. These people that KEEP OVERDOSING are idiots not worth the time to save. Some of them who overdose are repeaters and are unable to learn. Alot are first time overdoses. They are even worse. They see and hear about people overdosing all the time.. AND THEY STILL DO IT!!!!! OMG WHAT AN IDIOT.. Do we really need people like that in society?? I mean seriously. Idiots.. We’ve got enough of them already. How about weeding some out like nature intended in the first place.. Stop saving these idiots.

18. Jungle Jane

Jul 13. 2017

Survival of fittest, circle of life, they want to die, let them, the end!

19. SuzQuz

Jul 13. 2017

Who, in 2017, doesn’t know that heroin is deadly dangerous? No one. If people choose to use, let them have at it. The police and first responders have more important business than to repeatedly dole out the narcan. Northwest Indiana has developed a reputation for this idiot behavior.

20. Laura

Jul 13. 2017

These hateful comments are ignorant, over-simplified, and hurtful to those who struggle with addiction and their families. Addiction is a disease. If we were to always “let nature take its course” and only focus on monetary costs with diseases, cancer would not be treated, no interventions with heart attacks and strokes, the list goes on and on…Try to imagine if this was your loved one. Part of rehabilitation for addiction is support from the community in getting these people help. Shame on you all.

21. Hmmmm

Jul 13. 2017

So every cheeseburger you eat is one step closer to your arteries being clogged and when you have a heart attack, insurance will have to pay for your surgery. Every time insurance pays out they charge us all more money. So if you’re “stupid” enough to continue eating cheeseburgers, even though you know that one day it will probably cause heart disease, we should not perform CPR on you because you knowingly cost us money. Natural selection after all. Another fine example of the selfishness of people in this world nowadays. How about we REALLY stop these drugs from being shipped into this country and putting the traffickers to death if caught. There is a way to stop it. People smoking. Same situation. Knowing they’re killing themselves and costing all of us more money in health insurance. Just because it’s a slower death doesn’t mean it’s all that different. DNRs for all smokers too right?

22. Hmmmm

Jul 13. 2017

These are real people with moms, dads, children, siblings, etc that have a real problem. Don’t cast stones. It’s frustrating I know. I am family to one of these people, but I love them anyway despite the poor choices.

23. Papadoc

Jul 13. 2017

All life is about making choices. Some choose well, others do not. The question should be, to what extent should society take responsibility for the poor choices of its members. Like the grasshopper and the ant.
    If a person overdoses, and requires intervention, I feel that they have a debt to repay to the society that saved them. Perhaps some road work or helping maintain the parks might be in order. Hard work never hurt anyone.

24. Tax Payer

Jul 13. 2017

Would I let my kid die ? That question Denise asked in one of the comments. Did you ask the woman that CHOSE to do heroin and OD in front of her child who then roamed the neighborhood because he knows this is a regular thing with his mom if she would let her kid die ? Who feeds and takes care of her kid ? Why does she get to get her government assistance and use it for drugs while her kid doesn’t have clean clothes, food or someone to give a shit about him ? Everyone wants to help the addict but no one wants to help the victims of the bad decision makers. EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY YOU HAVE A CHOICE TO STAY CLEAN!!!!!! Ask all the recovering people commenting on this. They made the CHOICE TO HELP THEMSELVES AND STAY CLEAN. I am tired of paying for people that don’t help themselves. People that neglect and starve their children for that buzz and CHOSE to do so. I am tired of paying for government assistance for people that wouldn’t have time to do drugs if they had a friggin job and CHOSE to take care of their children. HELP the ones that want to be help and let the ones that make the CHOICE suffer the consequence of their CHOICE ! GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES AND TAX PAYERS SHOULD DO THE SAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. drew

Jul 13. 2017

where is all the heroine coming from? Maybe the wall with Mexico isn’t a bad idea.

26. Lisa

Jul 13. 2017

I’m not going to get into what most of this conversation has been. I don’t really know if addiction is a disease or nor. It most definitely is a chemical in balance in the brain I’m sure. The biggest problem that I have with this is that a lot of these that are overdosing are teenagers and young adults. I know that teenagers definitely do not think like adults do. Regardless of the friends that they have lost teenagers still seem to think that they are invincible.
    For several years and the last three especially I’ve been thinking that the Laporte high school should have a mandatory movie day. Forget about the people that are dying because teenagers probably just think that it makes them really tough if they’re able to use it without dying since teenagers don’t think like we do. I think that the mandatory movie day should show films like basketball diaries or Requiem for a dream, train spotting. These movies really showcase the dirty, horrifying desperationof drug use. There’s nothing glamorous about selling your body to get drugs. There’s no way that I’m going to determine why somebody makes a decision to use drugs because they could be born to an addict or they could’ve been raped or any number of things that really screws peoples brains up. So they use something to get away from the pain and heroin and opiates are all three factors of addiction physical, psychological and physiological. So once they are hooked which doesn’t take much they literally have to use it to not feel like they’re dying.
    So I think what’s really important and it wouldn’t be that hard is it to have a mandatory movie day I think that kids need to see what the real truth is about heroin. Because it’s so common now and so many kids have died probably half of the people using it are actually mourning someone else that has died from it. Far as adults I don’t really know what to say but for the teens something needs to be done and I really do think it’s a simple as showing that heroin will make you do things like sell your body, so your soul hurt others, steal, robs you of your humanity and your personality. I’ve been thinking about the high school doing this for a while and honestly I don’t know why they haven’t because I’m 40 and I did a lot of dumb things when I was a teenager but you know what myself and none of my friends or anyone that we knew did heroin because we all knew how dangerous it was……….

27. Concerned parent

What’s that old saying?

You play you pay!!! I think if they are getting narcan whether it’s the first time or not then they should have to pay for it. Hard manual labor won’t hurt and then they might learn there are consequences to their actions.

And mandatory rehab!!!

28. Kjl

Jul 13. 2017

I have to agree with Lisa on a lot of her points, these kids need it shoved in their face, and they need all of the graffics, all of the hardcore, nasty, real life, this is what it REALLY is. Kids today have been fed a lot of graphic video games, YouTube, but it doesn’t feel like real life. They can get all of it over the internet they know how to find stuff and see stuff that we as parents think or don’t want to think they know about but they probably do and have probably seen. I don’t know if they just don’t realize or maybe even if they’ve lost friends family members or people they care about they just don’t think it’s going to happen to them. This generation has been babied way too much. I agree with one of the other posts, if you get a NARCAN shot you will have to do so many hours of community service. After every shot the hours get higher and its treated like any other misdemeanor, if you don’t do your hours, (unless you are in treatment) you go to treatment or jail. These kids don’t know the meaning of consequence and that’s what they desperately need, some structure and some consequences.
    I remember back in school the Dare programs we all thought it was funny and we laughed and joked about it, but none of us ever did the hard stuff! We drank alcohol or smoked some pot, maybe some did cocaine,or acid, but I honestly do NOT remember knowing anyone who did heroin. Personally, I was terrified of any of that stuff and most of my crowd was too. I sincerely hope that something will happen that will clean this town up because it is a good town and there are good people and nobody needs to live afraid that their loved one or someone they know is going to die tomorrow, because the ambulances are too busy saving another heroin overdose.

29. T

Jul 13. 2017

Wow some of the comments are disgusting. There’s a horrible opiod problem but just let them die? Wow. Not one person in this state or country alone does NOT know someone who is affected by this epidemic. Not one. And those who are saying let them die probably has someone very close to them doing it with no clue. Some know the signs and others will fall for the lies. Oh I work so much or I’m so tired oh I have a bad toothache. This issue needs to get under control. And some of those ppl hooked are because their docs prescribed it to them. Over and over again. So before you say let them die.. just look to someone you love and if you can say just let them die to that person when they could be saved then fine stick to that dumb opinion. Otherwise let’s concentrate on getting it off the streets and getting people help.

30. Julie

Jul 13. 2017

I see it as this, someone with Cancer that has no choice does not get the help they deserve yet someone that purposely puts toxins in their bodies get the help. That is bull**** in my opinion!

31. Pam

Jul 14. 2017

Until you understand addiction your meanness is filled with ignorance letting them die is not a solution to the problem I hope it never touches your family but if it does I hope they are blessed enough to get what they need to get their life back all lives matter ( We as a community need to come together and help solve this issue and letting someone die is a selfish act to this problem it’s not the solution or option period !!!!

32. Left LaPorte

Jul 14. 2017

Although a “movie day” might sound like a good idea to educate teens, the impact will likely only last as along as the movie! We saw movies during the drivers education days of the past and sure it gave us something to think about. I’ll guarantee that it didn’t stop everyone from drinking and driving! Personally, I think the addiction to gadgets is as bad if not worse than drinking and driving!

As some have said, “IT IS A CHOICE”, and yes, maybe some people are wired to be more likely to suffer from addiction problems, but it is still a “CHOICE”! So, should we ban everything to prevent those with the inability to choose the right thing to do?

Our society wants to help everyone! We know there are some people don’t care enough about themselves or are more susceptible to addictions – who knows? Can you rehabilitate hardened thugs who “CHOOSE” to do what they do to innocent and decent people – can we fix all of them? No, because they “CHOOSE” to do the wrong thing because they want to!

Stopping the drugs is a euphoric concept that is unlikely due to the incredible amount of money to be made! Do you think the drug lords care about the addicts? Of course they do, but only to draw them in deeper and to get more innocent people addicted! If this were easy to stop, it would have been done by now – hmmmm????

Maybe you think I too am cold and don’t care, but maybe it is because I “CHOOSE” to take a realistic approach to this issue. Like some have said, people with an incurable disease “CHOOSE” to set up a DNR for their families because they care about them and “CHOOSE” to do the caring thing – think about that!

I am thankful that I don’t have an addiction problem and do feel sorry for those who do. We can’t help everyone no matter how bad this sounds, neither can the church or any religious denomination for that matter!

To those here who have loved ones caught up in this epidemic, I wish you all the best to help your loved ones get help for their addictions and “SURVIVE” to tell their story and help others. And to those of us who have loved ones who are destined to give up, don’t want help and eventually “cash in their chips”, we will live with their “CHOICE”!

33. Crying in the Rain

Jul 14. 2017

This is why I’m so glad my kids left this town when they graduated high school and went to college, then never looked back. I can’t wait until I can retire and leave myself. Not because of the heroin epidemic, but because of the heartless, holier-than-thou, judgmental people who live here. I’ll bet most of you call yourself Christians as well. You should all be ashamed. Look at all the years we’ve paid for smokers to get insurance and medical care… I don’t hear you complaining about them. They had a choice,too. But with all of them we’re talking about HUMAN BEINGS. Human life. Every life is precious right? Or is that only before they’re born?

And I can’t believe some of you reference the cost of Narcan, which is actually pretty inexpensive but that’s beside the point. Ridiculous. You can’t require rehab because there is no place to send these people to. The few rehab programs in the area are full with waiting lists. But you wouldn’t know that, because you’re too busy flapping your judgmental mouths to worry about any actual solutions. How about being mad about our healthcare system? We have the most expensive healthcare in the world by far, but we’re only 37th and falling in quality. With universal healthcare, medical providers and pharmaceutical companies would no longer be able to gouge us for routine treatments. Lobby for single payer universal healthcare. Do something positive. Then all the Narcan and Epi-pens and inhalers and chemo and addiction treatment would be covered… you would have nothing to complain about.

“Just let them die.” This mentality boggles my mind, but it really shouldn’t, because this is what La Porte has been like my entire life. Living amongst you is painful. No wonder there is an addiction problem here.

• Charles Gardner

Jul 15. 2017

I totally agree with you singing in the rain.

• MamaKidd

Jul 15. 2017

Exactly.
      However, this is a nationwide problem people. It’s been growing for years. It’s at crisis level.
      There are multiple reasons for it. Judging and hating won’t solve the problem. But I guess that’s easier than educating ourselves about how we got here, about addiction..ignoring reality and science. Clearly, it’s easier than putting our Christian compassion and values into action.

34. Charles Gardner

Jul 15. 2017

People need to understand that addiction is a disease and the need help.

35. WWJD

Jul 15. 2017

WWJD

36. Erica

Jul 16. 2017

Let’s put the narcan money towards patients fighting cancer. We can help the people that were inflicted with an actual disease instead of junkies.

37. Max

Jul 16. 2017

Taking illegal drugs is not a mistake, it is a choice. And most times it is a choice fueled by crime against people & property. If someone has money for illegal drugs then they have money for the Narcan they receive if they OD and should receive a bill for the Narcan. Or all the “bleeding hearts” out there or the junkie’s family should offer to pay for the Narcan if they have so much sympathy for a criminal.