Mary Ludlow, 1928-2017

Mary L. Ludlow, 89, of LaPorte, Indiana, passed away Friday, July 21, 2017.

Mary was born April 26, 1928, in Tippah County, Ripley, Mississippi, to Howard Levi and Mary (Gillard) Smith.

On March 4, 1948, in Ripley, Mississippi, she married Lee E. Ludlow, who preceded her in death on Dec. 2, 2004.

Mary moved to LaPorte in 1953, coming from Fort Campbell, Kentucky, where her husband was serving in the Army during World War II in the 11th Airborne Division. She served in the LaPorte County government for many years in the Recorder’s and Surveyor’s offices and was elected LaPorte County Recorder, serving from 1981 to 1984. She was a member of First United Methodist Church, LaPorte, a member and past Worthy Matron of the LaPorte Chapter of Eastern Star 280, and Bartlett O.K. Houck, OES 229 in Bartlett, Tennessee.

Mary leaves behind three sons, Mark L. (Debra) Ludlow, Timothy P. (Sylvia Espinosa) Ludlow and Ripley (Shelley) Ludlow, all of LaPorte; four granddaughters, Casey (Mike) Lapczynski, Heather (Adam) Scheiderer, Kaelynn (Matt) Deckard and Amanda (Dee) McDonald; 11 great-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews; and her special friend and companion, Richard “Dick” Ulam and family.

She was preceded in death by her parents, husband, six sisters and one brother.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday, July 24, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, where an Eastern Star service will be held at 6:45 p.m. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 25, at First United Methodist Church in LaPorte with Rev. Bob Vale officiating. Family and friends may call one hour prior to the service at the church.  Burial will follow in Patton Cemetery, LaPorte.

Memorial contributions may be made to First United Methodist Church, 1225 Michigan Ave., LaPorte, IN 46350; or St. Jude’s, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

20 Responses to “Mary Ludlow, 1928-2017”

1. Robert Rehlander

Jul 21. 2017

Rest In Peace, dear friend

2. Vicki Pass on Monroe

Jul 21. 2017

So sorry for your loss. Thinking of you Rip and the rest of your family.

3. Lisa Hennessy Johnson

Jul 22. 2017

I worked with Mary at the Herald Argus and she was always so pleasant and friendly with a smile and that sweet little southern accent. Such a wonderful lady 🙂 Positive thoughts to to you Rip and to all of your family.

4. Jan Thode

Jul 22. 2017

So sorry to hear of your loss, Mark & Rip. May you find solace in the memories of your sweet Mother. Will keep you and your families in my thoughts and prayers.

5. Joan Hensell

Jul 22. 2017

Lovely woman. So pleasant to work with. Sorry for your loss.

6. Paula Nieman

Jul 22. 2017

Rip, Shelley and family-

So sorry for your loss. Please know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

7. Anita (Tina) Gary Geyer

Jul 23. 2017

Ludlow Family,

So sorry to hear of your mothers passing, she at home in Gods house now. Keeping you all in my thoughts & prayers.

8. Robin Podell

Jul 23. 2017

May you find the Peace that passes all understanding….

9. Jim Burke

Jul 23. 2017

So Sorry

10. Marti Forszt Boundy

Jul 23. 2017

Mark, Tim & Rip
    Jay and I are sorry to hear of your moms passing. I remember watching you boys from my brothers bedroom window “playing” outside your Fox St home and knowing your mom had to be a great lady to keep you 3 in line! She raised you right! Our deepest condolences…we will keep you & your families in our thoughts.

11. Charlie Mas

Jul 24. 2017

Mark, Tim, Rip and family,

Very sorry to hear about the passing of your mom . Your parents and family are one of many good families and memories from our old “St Joe” neighborhood. May you find strength in each other during the difficult days ahead.

12. Denise (Elshire)Cannon

Jul 24. 2017

Fond childhood memories of Mary and
    the whole family. She was such a gracious lady. God bless

13. Jen Tracey-Schuster

Jul 24. 2017

Shelley, Rip, and family,
    May God bless you and keep you during the coming days and weeks. My prayers are with you!

14. Barbara Schmidt Qualls

Jul 25. 2017

Enjoyed talking to Mary during the H-A days. She always had an amusing story to tell about days gone by. And she raised a family to be proud of. My prayers are with the family and Dick Ulam.

15. Brenda & Bill Carbon

Jul 25. 2017

We are so sorry to learn about Mary’s passing. She was always such a wonderful woman and a blessing to many. May many memories of all your wonderful times together remain and help you in the days to come. We are sorry we are not able to be there because of the distance (we are in TN) , however our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. May God give you peace and comfort.

16. Shelly Otwinowski

Jul 25. 2017

I have fond memories of working with Mrs. Ludlow at the Herald Argus. My father, Clem Otolski, thought so highly of her and the family. Sending thoughts and prayers to the family. May God bring you peace and comfort.

17. Mark ,& Family .Im so sorry for ur loss of Ur Mom.May U all find peace in the days to come .And cherish all ur memories they are solely precious too ,each and everyone of U.God be with U ,All.Friends .Deb Weisenberger(Blint)

18. Kathy Richards

Aug 01. 2017

Rip and Mark.So sorry to hear of your Mom’s passing. She raised some great guys. I so appreciated you both being there when my parents passed. I wish you sweet memories of her.

19. Laura Schmitt

Aug 20. 2017

Rip, Tim and Mark, your family taught me what good neighbors are. I am sorry for your loss, and send you my best thoughts and prayers.

20. Barb Irk

Sep 09. 2017

Mark, Tim, & Rip,
    Just learned of your Mom’s passing. She was a special friend to me and my parents. I will miss her and am sorry for your loss.