Shirley Castle, 1945-2017

Shirley courageously lost her battle with cancer on Saturday, July 22, 2017.

Shirley Castle (nee Hubbard) was born Tuesday, October 9, 1945, in Pound, VA, to Noah and Nona (Adams) Hubbard, who preceded her in death.

Shirley was loved by all and an inspiration to many. She belonged to Hanna United Methodist Church, the Hannah Circle, and numerous clubs. She cleaned houses for 30 years and dedicated herself to the people for whom she cleaned.

She married the love of her life, Edmund Castle Sr., on March 19, 1966. They have been joined by God’s love for 51 glorious years. She is survived by Ed, with whom she had four children who also survive her: Paula (Monte) Clindaniel of Hanna, Indiana, Amy (Jason) Krieger of Wanatah, Indiana, Eddie Castle, Jr. of Union Mills, Indiana, and Jen (Brian) Hodges of Bozeman, Montana. Shirley is also survived by her eight beautiful grandchildren, Adam and Jacob Clindaniel, Ethan, Griffin and Brecken Krieger, Edmund Castle III, Gus Castle, and Hollis Hodges. Her grandchildren were her treasures. She tirelessly cheered them on in all aspects of their lives.

Shirley was one of six children. She was preceded in death by her sister, Irene Taylor. Surviving her are Doris (Ellis) Martin, Virginia (Ray) Kennedy, Noah Ray Hubbard, and Carolyn Mullican. She is also survived by loads of nieces and nephews.

A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11 a.m. CDT Wednesday, July 26, at Hanna United Methodist Church. Pastor James Denton and Pastor Darren Williams will officiate. Burial will follow at Hanna Cemetery. Visitation will be held at Cutler Funeral Home and Cremation Center, LaPorte, on Tuesday, July 25, from 4 to 8 p.m. CDT, and at the church on Wednesday from 9 a.m. CDT until the service.

Memorial donations may be made to Hanna United Methodist Church, 101 W. Hopper St., Hanna, IN 46340; or The NewDay Foundation, PO Box 13, LaPorte, IN 46352-0013.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.cutlerfuneralhome.com.

14 Responses to “Shirley Castle, 1945-2017”

1. Evelyn Utroske Bechinski

Jul 22. 2017

Ed and family, I am so sad to hear this news. I don’t have to tell you what a beautiful and wonderful lady she was. My heart is with you.

2. Paula Clindaniel

Jul 22. 2017

I want to make sure everyone knows there
    is a correction to the obituary for Mom.
    Her visitation on Tuesday is at Cutler
    Funeral Home in LaPorte and not at
    the church. We apologize for the error.

• Staff

Jul 22. 2017

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will correct the copy from Cutler’s.

3. Shirl Daniels (Hayter)

Jul 23. 2017

Eddie and family,

I can’t tell you how sorry I am for your family’s loss. I know what a emptiness it will leave in your hearts. I wish I could be there to hug you and tell you how truly sorry I am as I know how this loss changes us forever.

Shirl*

4. Eric Mc Bride

Jul 23. 2017

Ed and family.. I am so sorry to hear of Shirley’s passing. She was a great lady. Always had a smile on her face when I would see her. Rest In Peace Shirley.

5. Terry garner

Jul 23. 2017

Susie and Shirley now are now both in Gods hands . Our loss but still watching over us I’m sure of that.

6. Virginia Lancaster

Jul 24. 2017

Ed and family, there are few words tthat can take away the heartache at the loss of your beloved Shirley. Just know that you and yours are in my prayers and thoughts at this sad time. Although she is physically gone, she is always with you. My sincerest condolences. Gina(Netzer)Lancaster.

7. mary deering

Jul 24. 2017

Hanna has lost a treasure and South Central has lost a cheerleader for all. Rest in Peace good friend.!

8. Linda Chipman

Jul 25. 2017

Dear Ed, Jen, Amy, Eddie, Paula, and families,
    I’m so sorry for all that you’re going through right now. We are praying for you!!! Shirley was a great encourager for many. We will miss her. Her sweet, caring spirit, and energetic smile blessed my family weekly at church as I was growing up. She excitedly put together my wedding shower at very short notice when she heard I was finally getting married. 🙂 I had the opportunity to speak with Shirley at church not long before she passed. It was so good to see her anticipating eternal life with Jesus in spite of the suffering she was passing through.
    2 Corinthians 4:17-18 I pray that God would minister to all of you His peace and healing as you process the tragedy of death. May you cling to the hope Christ offers believers through His death and resurrection. “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” Revelation 21:4 Love, Linda (Burns)Chipman and family

9. Todd & Joan Anderson

Jul 29. 2017

Ed & family,
    Our prayers and condolences to you and your families during your loss.

10. Larry and Judy Ruggles

Jul 30. 2017

Ed. So sorry you have lost your best friend. I heard about her passing from my cousin George Walter

11. Ann Santana

Aug 08. 2017

So sorry. Will be praying for you and your family.

12. Karen Cooper

Aug 13. 2017

Dear Ed and family
    My heart breaks for all of you.. it is such a difficult time to try to move forward without Shirley.. she was a wonderful.. kind .. caring and loving lady… and brought much joy and happiness to many… she will always live on through her children and grandchildren.. you will recognize signs of her everywhere and everyday..and thank God for the wonderful and many memories. my thoughts and prayers are heading your way.. love and hugs

13. Bobbie Luckett

Aug 16. 2017

To Ed and family: My condolences. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.