INDOT will activate new traffic light at I-94 ramp, U.S. 20 on Aug. 1

Map and information from INDOT

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will activate a new traffic signal at the exit ramp of eastbound I-94 to eastbound U.S. 20 on Aug. 1, 2017. INDOT stated in a press release that the new system is designed “to increase safety as the signals will stop I-94 traffic from entering eastbound U.S. 20 until signals allow for a protected right turn.”

In addition to the signal, the I-94 eastbound exit ramp, Exit 40A, was moved 400 feet to the west, “creating a safer 90-degree turn at U.S. 20.” Also, “another traffic signal was installed for eastbound U.S. 20 traffic, just west of the ramp. This interchange modification and added signals will prevent traffic exiting I-94 from unprotected merging on U.S. 20 eastbound, where accidents had occurred in the past.”

More ramp closures will occur Aug. 3-8 to resurface the ramps.

For more information, visit www.Facebook.com/INDOTNorthwest; Twitter @INDOTNorthwest; or http://www.trafficwise.in.gov.

9 Responses to “INDOT will activate new traffic light at I-94 ramp, U.S. 20 on Aug. 1”

1. Anon

Jul 28. 2017

What a stupid waste of money.

2. Gorgeous Jim

Jul 28. 2017

I completely agree with Anon, put another stop light on Eastbound US 20, 500 feet West of the light 20 & 35 to further delay Eastbound Traffic that will then be speeding down 20 to make up the time they lost at this stupid stop light. Looks like the traffic jam that goes all the back to Meer road will be a permanent thing now. This must to have been designed by the same Engineering firm that designed the road in front of Tractor Supply at New Port Landing!

3. lawman

Jul 28. 2017

stoplights do it all-cure distracted driving ,speeding and stupidity in general. seems to be the thought here

4. Justwanttogethomefromwork

Jul 29. 2017

If drivers hadn’t made the previous configuration unsafe, we wouldn’t be here now, would we? I drive that corridor many times a week for work and it will be nice to not get cut off by trucks, distracted drivers, and people from Illinois who seemed to think the off ramp was a drag strip. Slow down. Pay attention. If you need to get somewhere faster, LEAVE SOONER. Be courteous to your fellow drivers. It’s not a difficult concept. Enjoy your new stoplights!

5. GK

Jul 29. 2017

There sure are a lot of complaints but no suggestions on how to fix the unprotected merging off of I-94. Monday morning quarterbacks always chime in but never offer any help. US 20 is a mess, there is no doubt about it, but now that the I-94 ramp is nearly completed we have completely uneducated criticisms coming out of the wood work. Gorgeous Jim could actually look into it an find that it is not the same engineering firm that designed the road by Tractor Supply and if he educated himself on how traffic signalization and roadway sensors work he would know that a traffic jam to Meer Road would be a rarity, it happens more now because of the bottleneck for the construction zone and merge lane. Also, if you are concerned about the time you lost at the stop light, maybe you should take your eyes off the clock and focus on the road, distracted driving, after all is the problem being addressed here. And, maybe, Anon would like to offer a little more than “stupid waste of money” to the constructive conversation. It’s fine that everyone recognizes a problem, but when they voice their opinion on said problem they should suggest a solution for it as well. It’s a little later for that in this situation but there is a lot more construction on US 20 coming down the pipe line.

• Anon

Jul 29. 2017

Here’s my suggestion, there was nothing wrong with it to begin with and shouldn’t have been messed with! Judging from your comment, you must work for INDOT. “Take your eyes off the clock and watch the road”? That may be one of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard in years.
      I’ve asked for the crash stats from that intersection and have yet to be presented with them. The most I can gather is “people get cut off”. Oh wahwah. I hope it was worth the millions of dollars and gigantic waste of everyone’s time that mess has caused. But you seem to have all the answers though and I guess our little brains just can’t keep up.

6. lawman

Jul 29. 2017

GK- we don’t get PAID to come up with solutions-that’s why we pay the experts. since they are paid-we as taxpayers have the right to criticize their choices. this happens in all fields of life. this is simply an opinion forum so EVERYONE has the right to his or hers. or maybe you are content with everything that happens around you.

7. alk

Jul 30. 2017

Nothing wrong with it in the first place? You must have not driven that way in a while Anon. Drivers coming off that ramp rarely reduce their speed to what’s posted. So when I am trying to take 35S from 20; why am I slowing down to compensate for the speeders from the ramp? And Jim, if you look at the “design” its a right turn only light off of 94, not another stop light on 20. I think it will be a welcome change to MY driving experience on that stretch of pavement. And as for the design of the road “in front of TSC”; I was sceptical at first but I think its worked out just fine.

8. Anon2

Jul 30. 2017

Funny how you on here say a waste of money and shouldn’t have been done. Well you obviously haven’t drove it when your trying to get over to go south on 35 and you have vehicles that completely disregard the yield signs coming off the exit to get on to 20 and literally cut you off almost causing accidents this was needed. They did the same crap coming off the ramp to 20eb now with the detourTell your story somewhere else this was exactly what was needed there. Oh and to the person that said only a light for eb drivers on 20 yeah that’s perfect. Lmao