City summer street paving to begin soon; waiting on grants

Mayor Blair Milo announced that paving of portions of city streets and highways will begin soon. The paving timeline all depends on awarding of grants.

Milo: “You may have seen the road construction signs start to go up, which is a great sign for next steps in the 2017 paving plan. Paving on the federal aid (highway portion) streets should start next week (week of Aug. 7) . We submitted our application to INDOT for the Community Crossings program … and are now just waiting to hear about the awards of those grants so we can move forward with our next, and largest, paving contract for this year. We have to be creative to leverage as many paving programs as possible, so the timing is varied, but the most important part is that it means more paving for LaPorte.”

To view the most recent 2017 paving plan posted by the LaPorte Street Department, click on this link:

9 Responses to “City summer street paving to begin soon; waiting on grants”

1. lawman

Aug 03. 2017

I hope the entrance to the Kesling walking track parking is on the list to pave. it has bee a mess for a couple of years. almost need 4 wheel drive to get thru puddles after rain. sorry entrance for a nice park.

• Lois Travis

Aug 03. 2017

Agree with the above comment, but these large holes do not necessarily need blacktop. I entered my complaint with the street dept. this morning and apparently they are not sure whose responsibility this is – the street dept. or the park dept.
      Here’s a solution: drop off a small pile of gravel/stone on the grass near the entrance. I will bring a shovel and fill in the holes! Will be part of my morning work out. 🙂

2. Tired of political lies

Aug 03. 2017

What happened to all the money they collected from their new wheel tax? Isn’t that supposed to be paying for our roads to get fixed? I paid $200 in extra taxes this year for my vehicles. They have collected a ton of money from us over this b.s. tax and they have to wait on grants!!! Take the money out of the political circus and apply it on our roads!!!!!

3. Pothole Padre

Aug 03. 2017

Can anyone tell me why the small stretch of I Street located by Wallen Auto repair (that short section between 1st Street and Lincoln Way) did not get milled and resurfaced last year when the whole stretch of I Street from 1st Street down to 10th Street go resurfaced? That small stretch needs it badly.
    Also, Ward 5 seems a little light in comparison to the other Wards with the amount of reconstruction. That’s just a quick glance comparison.
    Also,sadly, 18th Street, between A and I Streets needs attention. But, there is also the need to grade that so the water drains properly after a heavy rain.

4. lawman

Aug 04. 2017

typical Laporte Lois. no one wants to take responsibility. seems like something the NEW mayor might want to figure out. the stone was put in twice last year and earlier this year-it doesn’t last. we are talking about a hunk of pavement about 25 ft by 30 ft. can’t see where this would break the park dept or city.

5. Peggy

Aug 04. 2017

I would like to invite people over on Warsaw Street, Lansing street, and drive down these roads. It’s like this part of town gets forgotten about, we have to call to get the leaves picked up, the city doesn’t mow the the grass on the empty lot on the corner of Nieslen and Erie until it’s passed your knees. The old Leonard’s building is so disgusting and junk laying all around, and nothing is ever done, and I know for a fact that all of this has been called in and reported several.times.

6. wanask2

Aug 06. 2017

Doesn’t our property taxes also cover road repair? Then we are also paying wheel tax. But they are waiting on grants? Some of this is not adding up. Also, why are they waiting to do paving at the end of summer? From news article. They have done some patching on a few streets. If this is what are wheel tax is paying for I am not a happy camper. Andrew Ave. is a mess. so many streets are so bad and have pot holes at least 3 – 4 inches deep.

7. Carl

Aug 13. 2017

I don’t understand why Tyler St doesn’t get finished, you paved from Lake St to east maple and stopped, I also noticed the parking lot for the Civic Auditorium on Rose st got paved, I don’t understand why, when there are so many streets that so badly need paving, can someone explain why you would do this?

8. Howard Gauger

Oct 20. 2017

I live at 1664 Stone Lake Dr, when does our street get paved?