A man was killed when he rode his bicycle into the path of a semi at the intersection of J and 6th streets on Aug. 7, 2017, LaPorte Police said.

Officer Mamazza

Police identified the bicyclist as Glen Byrley, 53, of Hammond, IN. The semi driver, Jeffrey Smith, 63, of Sheboygan, WI, braked but was unable to avoid hitting the cyclist, who disregarded a red light and rolled into the semi’s path on J Street at about 6:40 p.m.

The driver tested negative for alcohol or drugs.

After assisting at that accident scene, at about 9:50 p.m. LaPorte Police Officer Trent Mamazza headed to inform a state highway employee that J Street could be reopened. About a block away from the fatal accident scene on Ind. 2 West, Mamazza swerved to avoid an object in the road and struck a utility pole. He was taken to LaPorte Hospital for treatment of a head and arm injury and later taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital. He was listed in stable condition as of Aug. 8.

8 Responses to “Bicyclist killed after riding into semi’s path on J Street; city policeman hurt in subsequent accident”

1. John

Aug 08. 2017

See that? When are cyclists going to stop for stop signs and traffic lights?

• Name (required)

Aug 12. 2017

I’m surprised this doesn’t happen a lot more often!

2. Mel

Aug 08. 2017

You don’t need to be so harsh !!!! A man lost his life!!! And a family lost a husband, father and son.

3. lawman

Aug 08. 2017

john-I am a cyclist and two straight days now I have had cars blow stop signs and pull in front of me and also when I DO stop for red lights I get cars turning in front of me when I am going straight WITH THE RIGHT OF WAY. I see it working both ways all the time.

4. Paul Gliwa

Aug 08. 2017

I am with john,cyclist never follow the laws,never did so do the mopeds I see them go though stop sign all the times

5. Anon

Aug 09. 2017

The dude who was killed was mentally challenged from what I hear. Compassion much?

6. Wow

Aug 09. 2017

A man lost his life…can we please stop being so darn cynical all the time?
    Everybody does stupid things at times drivers of cars, mopeds-which need to be outlawed, and bicyclists….doesn’t mean we have to be rude or disrespectful of the person who lost their life.

7. A Family member of the deceased

Aug 11. 2017

The bicyclist had both physical and mental impairments. Accidents happen everyday, ALL DAY LONG.

He suffered severely for his mistake to the point that he lost his life. It was a tragedy for EVERYONE involved, the truckdriver, those who assisted, emergency personnel and the deceased.

Before you start making assumptions and generalized comments please do take a moment to think about the family that is reading your negative comments.

And on last piece of information, he had impairments and rode.over 3000 miles on that bicycle.