Allen Samuel “Sam” Mounce, 1948-2017

Allen Samuel “Sam” Mounce, 68, of LaPorte, IN, passed away on Tuesday, August 22, 2017.

Sam was born in LaPorte on November 15, 1948, to Alvin Lloyd and Elaine Ellen (Soda) Mounce.

Sam was a U.S. Army veteran and a lifelong member of the VFW. He worked for various car dealerships and repair shops as a machinist and customizer of cars and hot rods. He owned M&M Enterprises. Sam was a member of Great Lakers Car Club and the Corvette Club. He enjoyed drag racing and customizing vintage automobiles and hot rods. He also loved going to vintage car shows and cruises.

Surviving are his siblings, Lloyd M. (Shirley) Mounce of LaPorte, Gail I. Holmes of LaPorte and Penny L. Cottingham of Lincoln, NE; half sisters, Maureen (Charles) Tuter of Chesterton, IN, and Lynn Marie Mounce of Chicago; significant other, Vicki Mantel and her son, Jake Mantel; as well as numerous nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Alvin L. Mounce and Elaine E. Mounce; half brother, Steven Mounce; and half sister, Paula Jones.

A graveside service will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 29, at Kingsbury Cemetery with Rev. Kit Billings officiating. Cremation has taken place with Cutler Funeral Home and Cremation Center, LaPorte.

Memorial contributions may be directed to the American Cancer Society, 130 Red Coach Drive, Mishawaka, IN 46545.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.cutlerfuneralhome.com.

8 Responses to “Allen Samuel “Sam” Mounce, 1948-2017”

1. Lenee Filo

Aug 24. 2017

I am so sad to hear this. My prayers are with all of Sam’s family and Vicki. Rest in Peace sweet Sam.

2. Roger sudlow

Aug 24. 2017

Rest In Peace my friend. I will miss your
    Advice and wisdom. It was a true privilege
    To have known you see you on the other
    Side. Love you brother 😔

3. Ralph Howes

Aug 24. 2017

Sam was one of the good guys, will miss him. My condolences to his family

4. roger pruden

Aug 24. 2017

i had the pleasure of getting to know SAM in the later years , a couple trips to Bonneville , and car cruises .his knowledge of the automotive history of this county was amazing .im going to miss those ”GOOD TIMES ” yuking it up and drinking ”SUN TEA” with SAM , also all the bench racing ..we have lost a great guy.a patriotic guy, a fun guy.a historic guy . and im sure many more guys im not aware of .im sure John, Ralph and SAM are yuking it up right now ! R.I.P SAM ,

5. Mike Kellems

Aug 25. 2017

Sam was a great friend to many of the “old” guys on the sheriff’s department when I first started. He helped me on several occasions over the years with car issues. Sam was easy going and as friendly as they come.

My sincere condolences to Sam’s family.

6. Dan Mikula

Aug 25. 2017

I was very saddened to hear about Sam’s passing. Although i hadn’t seen or spoken to him in along time i still remember the good times we had especially when he came down to Indy for the NHRA Drags back in the good old 60’S. R.I.P. my friend.

7. Joe Wietlisbach

Aug 25. 2017

I had the pleasure of serving with Sam at Camp Kaiser, Korea and last saw him at my wedding in 1970. He called me some years back when he saw my name in the VFW magazine; I was putting together a Camp Kaiser reunion. Sadly I was never able to talk him into attending.

He was a good friend in Korea as we had a special connection being from the same state, although from different ends, and he was a friend of my wife’s brother-in-law.

I know he will be missed by all who knew and loved him and although I haven;t seen him in 47 years it saddens me that he is no longer with us.

8. mike lofton

Sep 25. 2017

Sam was one of a kind. Loved talking cars with him and the other two PepBoys @ the Warehouse on several occasions. My condolences to Vicky and the family. Did not get to send him off with the gang but will def miss him and his awsome knowledge of cars. Delivered newspapers to him as a kid and always was jealous of the vettes in the driveway. Enjoy the after life old friend.