Krentz appoints Mitch Feikes to LaPorte Board of Public Works and Safety

Feikes

New LaPorte Mayor Mark Krentz announced Aug. 31, 2017, that he has appointed Mitchell Feikes to the LaPorte Board of Public Works and Safety.

Krentz served on the 3-member board, a key city panel that takes care of the day-to-day operations of the city, before he was chosen as mayor by a GOP caucus earlier this month. Former Mayor Blair Milo, who resigned to take a position in Gov. Eric Holcomb’s cabinet, had appointed Krentz to the board and he was also a board of works member during Mayor Kathy Chroback’s administration.

The board’s 3 members are now Krentz, Feikes and Clay Turner, director of the LaPorte County Solid Waste District.

“With the resignation of Mayor Milo and my election to the position of mayor, there has been a need to find a new member for the board of works and safety. In seeking that person, it was important to me to find someone with deep roots in our community, along with a background in business. I find that Mitch Feikes meets these expectations and he has agreed to serve,” Krentz stated in a press release.

Feikes, born and raised in LaPorte, is owner of Mitch Feikes Builders Inc. He was a longtime LaPorte School Board member and has also served on the LaPorte Park and Recreation Board. He’s a member of LaPorte Rotary. Feikes graduated from LaPorte High School, the University of Notre Dame and Purdue University. He served in the Peace Corps in Gabon, West Africa.

“I look forward to the continued opportunity to serve the City of LaPorte,” Feikes said in the press release. “I hope my business experience will allow me to make a positive contribution in managing the city’s resources and help LaPorte progress forward.

9 Responses to “Krentz appoints Mitch Feikes to LaPorte Board of Public Works and Safety”

1. Mike Kellems

Aug 31. 2017

Great choice… Mitch has been a loyal servant of the la Porte Community for many years. I’m confident his experience on the school board and the park and rec board will serve him well and Mitch in turn will continue to serve La Porte well.

2. Oldeskule

Aug 31. 2017

didn’t take long for the “Good Ol’ Boy network” to become apparent

3. GOBN

Aug 31. 2017

Yes, good ole’ boy network. And why is it that just because he was born and raised here also makes him qualified. We’re back to the old La Porte. Too bad.

4. LPean

Sep 01. 2017

@Oldskule and @ GOBN: Good ol boy network? Would you rather have someone from Buck Snot, Kentucky that doesn’t know anything about LaPorte or who doesn’t know what the issues are OR someone that’s lived and worked here and who has a track record? Why is network a bad thing? I want experience. And if you get/have experience in a network – we all win.

5. Captain Sense

Sep 01. 2017

So, let me get this straight………..you two conspiracy theorist extraordinaires think a mayor should appoint someone he is unfamiliar with? Like hold a job interview for every position that ever comes up?
    It does seem very logical to only appoint and hire people whom you personally know nothing about, and are 100% unfamiliar with their character. See how dumb that sounds. It almost sounds as dumb as inferring his location of birth and raising is the only thing mentioned as qualifications. Thanks for playing though.

6. Mike Sutton

Sep 01. 2017

Great choice! Mitch is one of the most action oriented humble servants I know! He loves and serves this community in so many ways!

7. Brett Binversie

Sep 01. 2017

Mitch is a great choice. He volunteers his time for many projects throughout the community and cares deeply about La Porte.

8. lawman

Sep 01. 2017

seems to me we have had a pretty varied group of mayors in my memory-men, women, republicans and democrats. sounds pretty square to me

9. Scott Matzje

Sep 01. 2017

I love the “good ol’ boy” comments. Actually our new mayor appointed someone with whom he is familiar. This gentleman has experience in city government and is a well educated, successful local businessman. There are a lot worse choices out there and very few, if any, better.