In this 2013 WNLP photo by Bob Wellinski, legendary Coach Ken Schreiber (standing) embraces Jane and Marv Goad’s daughters, Cindy Cutler and Kathy Abbott, as the Goads are celebrated as Slicer royalty. Jane and Marv have since passed away, and Schreiber died Sept. 8, 2017.

A young Coach Ken Schreiber (right) confers with fellow coaches Jim Eger, Dick Deardurff, Stan Klimczak and Bob Hoke in 1961. While Schreiber was known for his baseball coaching skills, he also served as assistant coach in other LPHS sports. (El Pe photo)

Clapping his hands in encouragement in the 3rd base coach’s box, barking at players after a knucklehead error, offering one of his colorful quotes (“Our Lady Of … ) after a game. Beloved and controversial, brilliant and as earthy as an Army sergeant, legendary Slicer baseball Coach Ken Schreiber died Friday, Sept. 8, 2017, at age 83.

“Schreib” led the Slicer baseball team to a record seven state titles and cemented LaPorte as the Baseball Capital of Indiana and even the nation.

Schreiber marshaled the Slicers for 38 years before abruptly retiring in 1998, saying simply that it was time. At the helm he led generations of Slicers to an astounding 1,010 wins and just 217 losses, a record that landed him in halls of fame reaching into the double digits.

Not all agreed with his coaching tactics and sports philosophies, but no one could deny his success and his players’ devotion. In his coaching years, the Slicers won 25 conference titles, 28 sectional championships, 18 regional titles and a record 7 state championships. His 1987 team was crowned champion of the entire nation.

In the years after his retirement, both the immaculate Slicer baseball diamond (impeccably groomed by his players) and the street bordering the field were renamed in his honor.

Visitation will be at Haverstock Funeral Home Wednesday, Sept. 13, from 4 to 8 p.m. and at St. John Lutheran Church Thursday, Sept. 14, from 9 to 10 a.m. A funeral service will be held Thursday at the church at 10 a.m. Burial will follow in St. John Lutheran Cemetery.

17 Responses to “Legendary Slicer Coach Ken Schreiber dies at 83; visitation and funeral times announced”

1. Jeff Barnard

Sep 09. 2017

Dan, I’m so very sorry.
    I’ll be praying for you and your family.

2. Cathy Farrington

Sep 09. 2017

Ken was certainly one of a kind man. He raise many a young boy into fine young men. He shall be missed by all that knew him.

3. Gail Johnson

Sep 09. 2017

Add to the list of Schreib’s accomplishments– from experience, he helped mold great husbands and fathers. We wives and mothers will always hold you close in our hearts!! Love to Judy and all the family!

4. Nancy Griffith Hunt

Sep 09. 2017

Judy, Eric, Kim, Doug, Dan, Mark and Keith,

I am so sorry for your loss. I always liked Ken as a teacher, a neighbor, and a coach. My prayers go out to your family.

5. Papadoc

Sep 09. 2017

He was one of a kind. Only ever had him as a teacher, but also a friend. Sorry to hear of his passing

6. Jeff Hunter

Sep 10. 2017

Condolences from our family to the Schreiber’s. Ken was a great man. So sorry for your loss.

7. Leigh Morris

Sep 10. 2017

Ken was clearly a class act. He leaves a marvelous legacy and a lasting impact on this community. Marcia and I send our condolences to his wonderful family.

8. Eric Mc Bride

Sep 10. 2017

Mr. Scheriber was a great teacher and coach. He never gave up on his students. He was one the best teachers LPHS had. He will be missed.

RIP Mr. Scheriber

9. Joe Van mol

Sep 10. 2017

Kenny made me a true fan of Slicer baseball. Just being on the same staff of LPHS was inspirational . When travelling thoughout Indianas high schools, if i mentioned i taught with Ken, they knew LPHS and his legendary teams. I saw him, always positive, in the hallways, LaPorte has lost a special icon.

10. Beaker

Sep 10. 2017

All I can say is La Porte lost a legend.
    I never had Mr. Schreiber for a teacher but I remember my first year at Vincennes (Um, 1979. Wow! I’m getting old). Everybody meeting all new people and the usual question … ‘Where you from?’ Not many heard of La Porte, but one guy, he said ‘Oh, Coach Schreiber. Yeah, we lost to them too.’
    Thoughts and Prayers go out to his family.

RIP.

11. Bill Steinbrecher

Sep 10. 2017

Ken was outstanding football and baseball player at Valpo and was my football teammate as well as a sports colleague. He is certainly a legend and will be missed by a great many across Indiana and the country.

12. Jim Hale

Sep 11. 2017

What an incredible guy, prayers to the family.

13. Dick Jones

Sep 11. 2017

I was on Ken’s 1st team in 1960 as a Freshman and visited him whenever in LP.I had no idea this year’s visit would be my last.I will miss him terribly as my coach and my friend.

14. Reuben

Sep 11. 2017

I never had the pleasure of playing under his leadership but always seen him around town and called him coach. He always smiled and talked to me like he knew me for years. R I P coach

15. Bill Gangwer

Sep 12. 2017

Schreib was my history teacher. One of my greatest memories was being able to play Rummy with Deardurff, Klimczak, and Coach at lunch time. I had just started teaching and coaching at the HS and what an opportunity to play cards with “The Slicer Legends”. Their insight as teachers, coaches, and personalities is something I’ll cherish forever. The stories (true and embellished) still resonate. During the spring pre-season Coach and I would share the early morning practice time slot for track and baseball in the main gym. My prayers to all friends and family.

16. Mike Wade

Sep 13. 2017

Ken Schreiber was and is the best there was. I played for Ken for 3 years. The final year we won the State Championship (1967). All because of him. The best Coach I ever played for!! He will be in our hearts forever!!

Thank you Coach, you made my life complete. Mike & Sally Wade

17. Carla Antos

Sep 13. 2017

Doug, my thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Your father was a legend in our community and you must be so proud to be his son. Again, my deepest sympathy to you.