John Kolar, 1932-2017

Frank L. Keszei Funeral H0me, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for John J. Kolar, 85, of LaPorte, who passed away Wednesday, October 25, 2017.

John was born August 19, 1932, in LaPorte to Frank and Marie (Karel) Kolar.

John graduated from LaPorte High School in 1951 and Indiana University Bloomington in 1959, with a Bachelor of Science degree in business real estate. He was a realtor and an appraiser with Nowak Realty for over 50 years. He served on the Pine Lake Cemetery Board, the LaPorte American Red Cross Board as president, the Center Township Advisory Board for 24 years, and the Board of Realtors as president, vice president and secretary. He was a member of LaPorte First United Methodist Church, where he served as an usher; VFW Post 1130, and American Legion Post 83. John served his country in the United States Navy.

On May 27, 1961, he married Bettye Brown, who survives. He also is survived by a daughter, Jennifer (Kevin) Cochran of LaPorte, and two grandsons, Jonah and Casey Cochran.  He was preceded in death by siblings, Ann, Mary, Bessie, Josephine, Frank, James, and George.

Visitation will be held from 4-7 p.m. Sunday, October 29, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte. A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Monday, October 30, at the funeral home, where friends may visit one hour prior to the service. Pastor Bob Vale and Reverend Evan Lash will officiate.  Burial will follow in Pine Lake Cemetery, LaPorte, with military honors.

Memorial contributions may be made to First United Methodist Church, 1225 Michigan Ave., LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

18 Responses to “John Kolar, 1932-2017”

1. Fern Eddy Schultz

Oct 26. 2017

Bettye and Family,

So sorry to hear of John’s passing. Please accept the condolences of the Pine Lake Cemetery Board of Trustees. He was a very sincere and caring person for the cemetery’s needs and purposes.

Fern Eddy Schultz, President

2. Virginia Behenna

Oct 26. 2017

Dear Bettye, Jennifer and family.

I feel like it was just a few months ago that I saw John. This comes as a surprise to me. My very deepest sympathy to all of you.

Much love to you,
    Virginia

3. Teri Stockstill

Oct 27. 2017

Dear Aunt Bettye and Jennifer,
    I was so sorry to hear of Uncle John’s passing. What a great guy. I have so many found memories of him. I pray that your own wonderful memories will comfort and keep you until you are reunited.

4. Mary Hiigli

Oct 27. 2017

We are very sorry for your loss. John was such a nice man.

5. Amy Huber

Oct 27. 2017

He was a great neighbor and always took time to say hello and ask about your day! He will be dearly missed!

6. Bernie/Nancy Geisler

Oct 27. 2017

Bettye and family
    So sorry to read John’s passing–what a wonderful and fun guy who enjoy life and people–you have our deepest sympathies and Blessings to you and your family-

7. Vicki Zeisig

Oct 27. 2017

Dear Bettye,Jen and family,
    I’m so sorry to hear of Johns passing he was such a great man. Take care, Vic

8. Edward Ahlgrim

Oct 27. 2017

Sorry for your loss. John graduated with me and I have known him for many years.

9. Janet Brady

Oct 27. 2017

So sorry. Prayers for the family. He was a good friend to my mother, Delilah Sholly Euler. RIP

10. Susan Ebert

Oct 27. 2017

My deepest sympathy to the Kolar family. John was a kind and friendly man. Will always remember him wearing his I.U. sweater, and how he loved to take pictures in the city of LaPorte. Will miss seeing him around town. and his smiling face. God bless you all.

11. Jeanne Essling

Oct 29. 2017

Sorry to hear of John’s passing. He was a very nice person.

12. Brenda Carbon

Nov 01. 2017

Bettye, Jennifer and family-
    Bill and I were very sorry to hear about John’s passing. He was one of the very nicest guys ever!-always friendly and with a smile on his face, and a twinkle in his eyes. It was always good to see him–in a store, the church, on the street, etc.. May many wonderful memories of happy times together give you comfort and peace in the days to come.

13. Amanda Humphrey

Nov 03. 2017

John was a very nice man. He knew everyone and was so interesting to talk to. What a huge loss for our community. My deepest sympathy to everyone in his family.

14. Ann Conklin

Nov 07. 2017

Bettye anf Jen,
    Brody and I have fond memories of John ushering at our church so many Sundays during our 17 years in LaPorte. He was such a loyal servant. I know you will miss him so much, but hopefully you will be comforted by all your wonderful memories.

15. Pam Ruminski

Nov 08. 2017

John was always very friendly. When I told him we bought our house on Indiana Ave, he said with a big smile that is where he met his wife. Prayers for family and friends.

16. Donna & Jerry Smith

Nov 10. 2017

So sorry to hear about Johns passing! I hope you know hoe we feel! A better man could not be found! RIP, John

17. Sally Bergman

Nov 11. 2017

I’m so sorry to hear of John’s passing. I’ve known him since I was 19 years old and rented an apartment..
    He was always such a nice guy.. he always knew who I was as years passed.. remembering my dad.. where we lived..etc.
    Rest in peace, John. Prayers for peace for those you left behind.

18. Judy Ginther

Nov 19. 2017

I had the pleasure to work with John as he was our appraiser for Laporte Bank for many years. Years after this he and I would run into each other and he always remembered me and my old house I lived in.
    He was full of knowledge and always had happiness in his heart.
    My sincerest condolences to his family. God bless.