Kenneth “Ken,” Kenny” L. Struss, Dec. 5, 1937-Oct. 25, 2017

A great guy died the other day. Of course, if he didn’t like you, you wouldn’t have experienced him this way, but you still would have respected him. How could you have not?

A life well and thoroughly lived, he served in the military after being given the choice of that or jail by area police for drag racing, hooliganism and running amok. He served wholeheartedly with the Army 10th Infantry in Wuerzburg, Germany, in Operation Gyroscope, earning an Honorable Discharge on February 17, 1963. When not defending the USA, he played soccer and raced tanks.

On December 16, 1956, he married his soulmate, Winona Bilderback, to whom he would devote 61 years. Together they raised five challenging children to believe in The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. They all turned out just fine because of his patience, knowledge and love.

Mustangs were a love … always had one for show and racing. Shiny cars with all the bells and whistles, all the gadgets to keep them that way and many trophies to prove it.

Ken worked at Bethlehem Steel in Burns Harbor as a General Manager for 40 years, retiring a few years before they went belly up. Smart guy, kept his pension, investments and health benefits, which proved invaluable in the last couple years of his life.

This man will be missed, no way around that. Most especially by: Winona Struss, Janie (Bruce) Galko, Tia (Rick) Miscik, Kurt (Shelly) Struss, Susan (Doug) Helwig, and Eric (Jill) Struss. Grandchildren Steven (Pauline) L. Price, Brittany Struss, Abbey (Jason) Hedrick, Gabe (Paige) Struss, Rebekah Struss, Collin Struss, Morgan Struss, Mia Struss. Great-grandchildren Madison Price, Malorie Price, Ameliya Price, Kosta Karagianakis, Riley Karagianakis, Gracelynn Hedrick, and Mason Hedrick.

Ken donated his body to The Indiana University School of Medicine.

Ken’s soul was welcomed by his parents, Dolly and Russ; another mother, Marie; sister Patricia; son-in-law Bruce; many family and friends.

A private family dinner will be held at Christo’s Family Restaurant in LaPorte, IN, on October 29 from 3 p.m.–5 p.m.

Please send condolences to the family at 3744 E. 100 S., LaPorte, IN 46350. Messages may also be posted below on WNLP.

18 Responses to “Kenneth “Ken,” Kenny” L. Struss, Dec. 5, 1937-Oct. 25, 2017”

1. John Herod

Oct 26. 2017

Winona, So sorry to hear of Ken’s passing. He was a good man and will be missed, and will be missed around the pharmacy as well. May he rest in peace. God bless. Your family at Walgreens.

2. Susan Struss Helwig

Oct 26. 2017

My Daddy. Because of him I am strong, independent and can fix things around the house. Because of him and my Mom,I have a happy marriage as I had their 61 year long example to follow. I will miss him more than anyone but my siblings will ever know.
    Good Journey,Daddy. I love you to the moon and back.

3. Susan, beautifully written epitaph.

Oct 27. 2017

So sorry for your loss, As well as your entire family.
    Many blessings.
    Robin

4. Jeff Barnard

Oct 27. 2017

Eric, I’m terribly sorry to hear about your dad. I’ll be praying for you and your family.

5. Teri Stockstill

Oct 27. 2017

My love and prayers are sent to my beautiful Aunt Winona and the entire family. A wonderfully written tribute for a wonderful man. Never does a mustang go by when I don’t think of him. He lives on through the amazing lives he leaves behind.

6. Mary Hiigli

Oct 27. 2017

Carl and I are very sorry for your family’s loss.

7. Clarise Largen

Oct 27. 2017

Know that I am thinking of you all during this time. You are a strong family and he was so lucky to have all of you. It is apparent how loved he was by all of you. I feel for you all but especially Aunt Winona. Although you don’t have Uncle Kenny sitting in that chair watching his TV in the physical being, he will always be with you in spirit. You have great kids and they will see you through this.
    Love you all,
    Clarise

8. Janie Struss Galko

Oct 27. 2017

My father…My first love…my touchstone. You taught me sooo much by example. Much like you I had to run wild for a time but when I finally “grew up” You welcomed your prodigal daughter back with open arms and unfailing love! I will miss you forever and will keep you alive in my heart. You have a strong tribe and we will be ok in time. Cya ya on the flipside…….<3 Daughter unit # 1

9. Robert Segally

Oct 27. 2017

Just saw the posting about your dad. So very sorry. You and your entire family have my deepest condolences.

10. Sue Hughes

Oct 27. 2017

Sorry for your loss

11. Kurt Struss (son)

Oct 27. 2017

Enduring patience, integrity and noble character were all possessed by you dad. You taught me everything I know and many of those lessons were learned late by me but well. You were always my guide. I learned loving kindness from you which shaped me into the father I am today. They don’t come better than you and any man would do well to strive to be like you.

You were a tough man and one someone would not want to cross. I imagine many didn’t cross you as they could see you were also a fair man. You never withheld your affection from any of us; you once explained to me why that was. I love you Dad. I won’t be rudderless without you because you taught me how to carve a new one for when you had to go.

12. Nancy Addie

Oct 27. 2017

So sorry for your loss. Prayers and hugs, love ya Janie.

13. Geri Riley

Oct 28. 2017

Saddened to hear this. He must have been a great Father to have such great kids. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

14. Tia

Oct 31. 2017

Dad, first thought I had this morning was, I gotta call Dad about Trump. I am missing you and our phone calls every morning. 😥

• Chris Maglio

Nov 01. 2017

Tia & Stevie (you’ll always be Stevie) sorry for your loss.

15. Steve Taylor

Nov 01. 2017

Eric and family….so sorry to hear of your loss. You are in our thoughts.

16. Judy Ginther

Nov 19. 2017

So sorry Winona and Kurt. My prayers are with you and your families. God Bless.

17. Chris Lehner

Nov 19. 2017

My condolences on the loss of you father. I remember great times with the Struss family when we were neighbors. God Bless.