Richard “Dick” Reed, 1925-2017

Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for Richard W. “Dick” Reed, 92, of LaPorte, Indiana, who passed away Saturday, November 25, 2017.

Dick was born February 1, 1925, in LaPorte to Clifford and Augusta (Stayback) Reed.

Dick graduated from LaPorte High School in 1943. He served his country in World War II in the United States Army as a Staff Sergeant from 1943-1946. He worked at Allis-Chalmers for 10 years.  Then in 1960 he became a police officer with the LaPorte City Police Department as Patrolman, Sergeant, Captain and then Chief until 1980. He then became a civil process server with the LaPorte County Sheriff’s Department from 1986-2009.

Dick was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church and the Parish Council, and head of security for church festivals. He was a member of the FOP, Indiana Chiefs of Police Association, Indiana Sheriff’s Association, VFW, and LaPorte Old Timers Baseball Association.

On October 21, 1950, Dick married Jenny Burek, who survives. His legacy also includes his sons, David Reed of LaPorte, Michael Reed (1960-2010), and Daniel (Julie) Reed of LaPorte; grandchildren, Bo and Megan Reed; and several nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his son, Michael; brother, John Reed; and sisters, Margaret Dreske and Florence Smeester.

Visitation will be from 4-8 p.m. Thursday, November 30, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, where a parish rosary will be prayed at 4 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday, December 1, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, LaPorte. Family and friends may gather at 8:30 a.m. Friday at the funeral home. Burial will be in Pine Lake Cemetery, LaPorte.

Memorial contributions may be made to Sacred Heart Parish, 201 Bach St., LaPorte, IN 46350; or Dunes Hospice, 4711 Evans Ave., Valparaiso, IN 46383.

Messages of condolence may be shared below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

14 Responses to “Richard “Dick” Reed, 1925-2017”

1. billiewomack

Nov 27. 2017

So sorry to hear of your father’s passing prayers to all

2. Paul Rymer

Nov 27. 2017

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Reed Family. Dick and I became Great Friends and allies while being members of the Sacred Heart Parish Council. A true Leader and a role model to all of us. Thank you Dick for your friendship. Rest In Peace my friend.

3. Dr. Alva R. Miler

Nov 27. 2017

Dear Genevieve, So sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during this difficult time. Al

4. Mike Kellems

Nov 27. 2017

Mr. Reed will be sorely missed… a very kind and soft spoken man. I always enjoyed listening to him share stories from the good old days in law enforcement. He was a very loyal servant of the public in La Porte for many decades and always a true gentleman.

5. Debra Spencer

Nov 27. 2017

My condolences to the family!! He was so nice to me when I was a meter maid for the city. Always had a smile on his face!! Blessings to you all!!

6. Jim Lofton

Nov 27. 2017

Dear Jenny & family,

I am sorry to hear of Dicks passing, I am glad to have worked with

him for many years. I am also glad to know his family and their loyalty

to each other. May he rest in peace and Heavenly Father hold each

of you in the palm of his hand. God bless eternally, Jim

7. Sue Spicer

Nov 27. 2017

Dave, your father was blessed with a long, happy life. May all your wonderful memories of him comfort you. My sympathy to you and your family.

8. Donna Hunsley

Nov 28. 2017

Dan and Julie,

Our deepest sympathy to you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Howie and Donna

9. Richard A Kentaft

Nov 29. 2017

So sorry for your loss, Mr Reed was a great man and an outstanding law enforcement officer.

10. Walter Brath

Nov 29. 2017

Had the pleasure of working with Dick in the early years of my career. He was always a dedicated and a kind police officer and the men looked up to him.. Sorry for your loss.

Walter Brath

11. Sue Henriott

Dec 01. 2017

I am so sorry to hear of Dick’s passing. He was a wonderful person and a very fair person as a police officer and boss. Dick will be missed dearly. May God put His loving arms around you all and give you all strength as you go through this difficult time. Rest in Peace Dick and thank you for your service to our country and also protecting our city. God Bless.

12. Susan Klibinski

Dec 02. 2017

Dave,
    So sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers. May God bless, comfort and strengthen and be with you all.

13. Zane and Kim Wade

Dec 05. 2017

To all the Reed family, our thoughts and prayers are with you in passing of your dad.

14. Judy Antrim

Dec 06. 2017

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers and thoughts going to family. I remember my husband, Don, working with Dick on the Police Dept.
    Don spoke very highly of Dick.