Starting this year, Jaycees’ fireworks will be held July 3, not July 4

WNLP photo by Bob Wellinski

Jan. 19, 2018, press release from LaPorte Jaycees:

The LaPorte Jaycees have proudly organized LaPorte’s 4th of July activities for over 70 years. Every year, the chapter helps to welcome over 60,000 of LaPorte’s residents, neighbors and friends to the city for the 4th of July Parade. The organization also helps to organize the brew fest called Red Wine & Brew as well as implements and organizes the annual fireworks.

Due to changes in membership over the years and increased competition from surrounding communities, however, the LaPorte Jaycees have decided to move their annual Fireworks Celebration to July 3 of every year. It is anticipated that this change will allow more of the area’s residents to attend the fireworks event as well as other events in the region.

Joy Zigler, previous chair of the LaPorte Jaycees’ 4th of July Celebrations, stated “While we understand and appreciate the history of this event, changes needed to be made to continue to make the event viable. We believe that this change will be what is best for both our community and our membership.”

Brad Rauschenbach, current chair of the 4th of July Celebrations, continued, “Our organization is still committed to providing LaPorte an outstanding fireworks presentation yearly, and we feel that this change is the best way to do so moving forward.”

The Jaycees are already planning for the 2018 4th of July celebrations and more information will be released soon. The LaPorte Jaycees organization was founded in 1946 and has a mission to build the skills and networks of their young professional members through service to the community. Potential new members who believe that “Service to Humanity is the Best Work of Life” are always sought.

If you would like to join, have a recommendation of someone to join, or would like more information about the LaPorte Jaycees, visit www.laportejaycees.org or like their Facebook page.

21 Responses to “Starting this year, Jaycees’ fireworks will be held July 3, not July 4”

1. Kara Phillips

Jan 19. 2018

Why when it has been going on for so long and now we have to change it because of Michigan City why can’t they change it.. Not right at ALL!! It is bad enough that there are no floats but now this.. Well that is all I have to say about that..

2. Peggy Johnson

Jan 20. 2018

The holiday is the 4th. Why do we always have to change dates to suit the people. Who cares what other cities Do? We are LaPorte, we have a tradition that goes back 70 years. Keep the fireworks on the Holliday that it is celebrating.

3. Dave Lowery

Jan 20. 2018

Chicago does there’s on the 3rd usually but they shouldn’t be much competition. (Sarcasm Intended )

4. lawman

Jan 20. 2018

august 5th would eliminate any competition! seems everything else has been moved so why worry.

5. Nicole Thode

Jan 20. 2018

Why would LaPorte Jaycees do anything to uphold tradition? Maybe, just maybe if they should just turn the whole thing over to that church. Seems like the church and not the Jaycees are the ones profiting from any of it anyway. The only way anything will change is if the Jaycees recruit members and rely on the State officers to help keep the chapter alive… sad that they forgot what the core values of Jaycees actually are!

6. Mike Kellems

Jan 20. 2018

My hat is off to the Jaycees for whatever they do and whatever day they decide to do it. This is an organization that works tirelessly to showcase La Porte with one of the state’s greatest 4th of July parades. They provide a great, quality fireworks show for a fee that is not enough to cover the cost AND most importantly, they have worked along side other great people for more than two decades to provide the Deserving Children’s Shopping Tour.

“That church” is Bethany Lutheran Church. They have joined forces with the Jaycees and raised tens of thousand of dollars which has been given back to the La Porte community through donations that fight drug abuse and support our EMS, fire and police. I sincerely doubt there is much if any profit being made for either the Jaycees or Bethany.

I am not nor have I ever been a member of the Jaycees and I am not a member of Bethany however I am proud to call the members of these two outstanding La Porte groups my friends. They both deserve our respect for the work that has been done in La Porte.

7. Bud

Jan 21. 2018

I like the idea of the 3rd, for those who work

8. Tim

Jan 21. 2018

A sad loss of tradition.

9. Unknown

Jan 21. 2018

The Jaycees have done great things for our community and deserves our thanks, however changing the date of the fireworks is ridiculous. The 4th of July is on “THE 4TH OF JULY”. Why would we ever change the celebration to the Third? I have lived in LaPorte 47 years. My whole life and the fireworks have always been on the 4th. Please don’t change our tradition.

10. Peg Bransford

Jan 21. 2018

I’m 72 and have always gone to the parade, had a cookout, and then gone to the fireworks. I guess tradition doesn’t count for much anymore. Michigan City had their fireworks on a different night for years and years. Why should we be the ones to change? I might add that I only missed one parade and fireworks since I was 5. It makes me sad, and I guess a little angry.
    Of course, The Jaycees have done a wonderful job, but I can’t see why we had to be the ones to change. I am so just totally disheartened. ( Respect and tradition are 2 different things and should not be confused.)

11. Julie Kessler

Jan 22. 2018

I too want to see the fireworks continue to be on the Fourth of July. But, while. I’m not a Jaycees member, in other organizations I have seen the challenges in recruiting membership. Many who were available during the weekdays now work, a big factor. Those who might be of a mind to join Jaycees are likely to be involved in other volunteer organizations or activities. Combine those factors with the need to attend to families — all on weeknights and/or weekends, often filled with errands once done during the weekday — and we begin to understand better the competition for people’s time. I’ve offered a possible reason for this unfortunate change in the date of the fireworks — the enormous efforts for July 4 on the shoulders of fewer members, even with the help of Bethany Lutheran Church. But I hope more people will join the wonderful Jaycees so that our beloved July Fourth traditions may continue as before. As my grama often said, “Many hands make light work.”

12. Name (required)

Jan 22. 2018

I don’t care when the fireworks are set off. Just happy that the Jaycees sponsor the event. However, I do have a problem with Bethany Lutheran Church sponsoring the Red Wine and Brew event that goes to support the fight against drugs. Promoting the sale of alcohol (the number 1 drug killer in America) to help combat the drug problem seems wrong to me.

13. Anna

Jan 22. 2018

I am 62 Years old and have missed only 1 parade and that was the year my first child was month old. That year parade was announced on the radio so I did get to listen to it. Not the same. I didn’t always get to go to the fireworks but I never missed them. I remember sitting on a tractor at our farm on the night of the 4th and watching the tall ones over the trees. That was the year they were moved from the La Porte Airport to the where the fairgrounds is now. Later years I have sat in the backyard watching the fireworks. For two years in the back yard I saw (4) different fireworks shows (3 surrounding neighbors and La Porte’s 4th of July Display). Didn’t always see what “we” called the grounders but what I saw was spectacular. Oh, I didn’t mention that fireworks and Christmas Lights are my 2 most Favorite things. They are exciting, relaxing to me and can be shared with many loved ones and strangers all at the same time. “The common cause.”

I understand that for some, the change will be appreciated, but they will be dearly missed and not as much to look forward to on the 4th of July. My 4th of July’s have changed through the years with the passing of family members, new ones being born and some moving away but the memories I will always have. Guess I need to change again; wish I didn’t have to. Thank you La Porte Jaycees, Bethany Lutheran and all businesses and Individuals who have donated money and time. I guess changing the night is better than eliminating them, but now they are just fireworks not 4th of July Fireworks. Now we are just like everyone else.

14. Super Happy Mom

Jan 22. 2018

I love it! Whether financially motivated or not – as a working mom this is great! I’m so excited to take my kids to enjoy the fireworks without worrying about how tired they’ll be the next morning. They might not have school, but I do, which means they still have to get up for day care! Consider it a kick off to celebrating the 4th.
    GREAT IDEA Jaycess!!! I’m guessing other families are happy about this change as well 🙂

15. Young Professional in LP

Jan 22. 2018

I think this is great for people who have to go to work on July 5 – not getting home until 10 or 11 at night and then getting up early the next morning kind of takes the fun out of the holiday in my opinion! This is also great for people who attend Red, Wine and Brew on the 3rd because they’ll be there already!

Also, it’s clear from the article that the Jaycees kind of felt like they had to make this change so that La Porte can still have a fireworks show (fireworks aren’t cheap people!) so we should be thankful that they care enough to think outside the box to keep this great community tradition. They do more for our community than most people realize.

16. Cain

Jan 22. 2018

Who cares, people are always shooting off fireworks in neighborhoods at least a week before and after. My way of thinking is it gives you 2 days to celebrate this wonderful country instead of trying to cram everything into one day. Young children and us old children won’t be as crabby having time to recoup from one adventure before the next. Enjoy the fireworks then next day enjoy parade, cookout and your own neighborhood fireworks.

17. Julie

Jan 23. 2018

The straight scoop and the reason for the change as it coincides with the Red Wine & Brew event then later in the evening the Jeep raffle that Bethany Lutheran Church sponsors. Bethany donates $10,000 to the Jaycees to help with the costs of the fireworks. ALL of the proceeds from Red Wine & Brew are donated to our local Fire, Police & EMS to help fund such things as K-9 dogs, new equipment, etc. which in turn benefits our community. BLC does not profit one dime from these events.

18. Darlene Jesch

Jan 23. 2018

I am 70 and have only missed 2 parades in my life, one being in 2017 after knee surgery replacement. Do what needs to be done, Jaycees. It can always be changed back if necessary. You will NEVER make everyone happy. Thanks for your commitment.

19. Cindy

Jan 24. 2018

I think it’s a wonderful idea! This will give people something to do the night before the 4th.

20. Amy

Feb 01. 2018

I LOVE the idea. I have not gone for several years because of having to get up early the next day for work. Keep up the great work Jaycee’s. Like others have said, it’s a kick off to the holiday.