Federal grand jury indicts LaPorte man who allegedly made bombs, wanted to acquire baby for sex, molested girl

Weiler

Information issued by federal and local authorities

A LaPorte man has been indicted by a federal grand jury and also faces local charges for alleged production of child pornography, child molesting, intent to acquire a baby for sexual contact, intent to kill, and making bombs, including planting one in a car, according to local and federal authorities.

Eric R. Weiler, 45, faces federal charges of 2 counts of production of child pornography, 1 count of receipt of child pornography, 1 count of possession of child pornography, 1 count of making a destructive device in violation of the National Firearms Act, and 1 count of possession of unregistered destructive devices. He also faces LaPorte County charges of attempted murder and child molesting.

The charges were announced at a LaPorte County press conference on April 16, 2018.

In August 2017, a woman who lived near Weiler on F Street in LaPorte contacted police after discovering wires running to the gas tank of her vehicle.

In September 2017, investigators learned Weiler had been going into a vacant house next to the woman whose car was allegedly wired to explode, reports said.

Investigators went into the vacant house and found writings on the wall that documented a person’s attempts to acquire a girl under the age of 12, ideally a newborn, for sexual contact, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. He also indicated in the writings that he was willing to kill someone to obtain a child, They also found information indicating Weiler planted the car bomb in hopes of then sexually assaulting an individual. 

Two days later, on September 20, 2017, two incendiary devices were found inside Weiler’s house, reports said. One was an improvised explosive device, or IED, and the other was a CO2 or “cricket” bomb, reports said.

The following day, multiple electronic devices and electronic storage devices were found in Weiler’s house. Police said they contained over 24,000 images and over 80 videos of child pornography.

In addition, there were videos of Weiler engaging in sexual acts with a child about 5 years old, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Weiler’s electronic devices also allegedly contained videos of Weiler explaining the explosive device that he put in the gas tank of the car.

“Crimes committed against children are particularly heinous.  Children are among the most innocent victims. This case exemplifies how local and federal law enforcement agencies and state and federal prosecutor’s offices work together to investigate and prosecute cases involving children.  Additionally, this investigation was conducted very quickly; within two days of learning of Mr. Weiler’s conduct, he was taken into custody by the LaPorte City Police.  That is very quick work by both the LaPorte Police and La Porte County Prosecutor’s Office.  Explosives, like those allegedly manufactured and possessed by Mr. Weiler are extremely dangerous and meant to do considerable harm.  My office will continue to aggressively prosecute those who violate the nation’s destructive device and firearms laws,” said U.S. Attorney Thomas L. Kirsch II in a press release.

LaPorte County Prosecutor John Espar said, “The case is a shining example of the collaborative approach contemplated by the Internet Crimes Against Children Program, for the investigation and prosecution of crimes of violence against children, bringing local and federal law enforcement together in a collective effort to identify and apprehend violent criminals whose crimes neither respect the dignity of the individual or jurisdictional lines.”

4 Responses to “Federal grand jury indicts LaPorte man who allegedly made bombs, wanted to acquire baby for sex, molested girl”

  1. Brianne

    Apr 16. 2018

    Gee, what complete SCUM.

    Reply to this comment
  2. lawman

    Apr 16. 2018

    yes-and the taxpayers pay the cost of defending this scum

    Reply to this comment
  3. John

    Apr 16. 2018

    Boy, do I second that!! Complete SCUM indeed. Hope he’s put away and never gets out.

    Reply to this comment
  4. Judge Roy Bean

    Apr 16. 2018

    I’m glad he got what was coming to him. Job well done.
    Thanks to all involved for putting him away.

    Reply to this comment

Leave a Reply