William Berby Jr., 1928-2018

Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for William G. Berby Jr., 90, of LaPorte, Indiana, who passed away Monday, May 7, 2018.

He was born May 3, 1928, in Racine, Wisconsin, to William G. Berby Sr. and Leone Miller.

William retired as a sales manager for Western Publishing Company in 1989. He was a member of Elks Lodge 432, Masonic Lodge 857, Racine Yacht Club, and LaPorte Jaycees, and served his country in the United States Army during the Korean War from 1952–1956.

On February 16, 1952, William married Patricia Evenburg, who survives with their children, Julie (Berby) Konowitz of Seal Beach, California, Mike (Barb) Berby of LaPorte, Indiana, and Jane (David) Berby-Todd of Carmel, Indiana; grandchildren, Emily (Adam) Howard and Kaitlin Todd; and brother, David Berby of Racine, Wisconsin. A brother, Ronald Berby, preceded him in death.

Visitation will be from 10 am to noon Saturday, May 12, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte. A memorial service will follow at noon with Pastor Bob Vale officiating.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Smile Train, 41 Madison Ave., 28th Floor, New York, NY 10010; or the Wounded Warrior Project, PO Box 758517, Topeka, KS 66675-8517.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

24 Responses to “William Berby Jr., 1928-2018”

1. Mr&Mrs. Charles Friend

May 08. 2018

Good times with our buddy. We will miss you, Bill. Our prayers are with your family.

• Bumpo

May 08. 2018

Thanks Charlie and Lorraine. Be sure to have a bumpo in his memory.

2. Dick & Avis Rooney

May 08. 2018

RIP Bill: I called my brother Jim in Racine and he lowered the Racine Yacht Club flag to half mast this morning, Tuesday. Bill, we had a long relationship beginning when we were about seven or eight years of age. We each got our share of sailing in Lake Michigan and I, after that, in inland lakes in IL and MO. God Bless Pat and the family. I’m certain you gave them a good life.. Once again, RIP Bill. –Dick–

• The Rooney’s

May 08. 2018

Thank for sharing that the yacht club honored him. My dad loved the yacht club and would be proud of this tribute.

3. Dick and Carol Welsh

May 08. 2018

Please accept our deepest condolences at the death of Bill. May he rest in peace.

4. Lorraine Bunce

May 08. 2018

The Berbys’ back yard was always a favorite of the Elks/Beacon Hills neighborhood kids. I remember hearing so many times “we’ll be at the Berbys, Mom!”

5. Mike berby

May 08. 2018

Thank you dick & Carol your very special freinds to the berbys

6. Gail Johnson

May 09. 2018

So very sorry to hear about Bill.Mom,Sue,Jeff and I have you all in our thoughts and prayers.Had a lot of fun growing up as neighbors in Beacon Hills .We will miss him

7. Rory Swan

May 09. 2018

I am very sorry for your loss Mike. I remember your parents with great fondness and affection for how gracious they always were to me. Truly lovely parents. Please remember me to your mother. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

8. Julie (Berby) Konowitz

May 09. 2018

Rory – thanks much for your sweet words. Don’t forget about Mike’s big sis – think we had some fun – maybe a Prom in our past. Our parents always enjoyed our friends and our house was a good destination point.

9. Mary Jo

May 09. 2018

Emily I an so sorry to hear about your grandfather, please accept my condolences. My thoughts are with you and your family.

10. Julie (Berby) Konowitz

May 09. 2018

Not sure where the last statement came from?

11. Virginia Behenna

May 10. 2018

Dear Mrs. Berby and family,

Thank you for allowing us to care for your husband, father and grandfather. Such a wonderful kind man !! Deepest sympathy to all of you.

Virginia Behenna

12. Hilda Jahnz

May 10. 2018

Dear Pat and Family,
    My Family and I want to express our condolences for the passing of your husband, father and grandfather. I am remembering when we were good neighbors at Beacon Hills for many years and our children had fun playing together.

13. Rory Swan

May 11. 2018

Julie, how could I ever forget you!! You’re the reason I went to IU!! Did you marry Bill Konowitz? Are you on FB?

14. Kayde Martin (CRAW)

May 12. 2018

So sad to hear about Mr Berby’s passing. My prayers for peace and comfort for the whole family. I have so many wonderful memories from my younger days of him…..he would always bring me books when they came over for bridge club, countless number of our cats going to live at the farm ( at least that’s what I was told), all of the golfing vacations over the years with my parents, always felt like having an additional set of ‘dad’ eyes watching over me. I have always worn the badge of CRAW with pride, and happy that they picked the name William instead of Bill for my last letter. He will be remembered very fondly forever in my heart. I feel blessed to have known him. My condolences…..
    Kathy Passafume

15. Susan and Claude

May 13. 2018

Dear Mike, Barb and family,
    So sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. God bless.

16. Debra Harris Williams

May 14. 2018

Julie and Mike, I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family💕

17. Name (required)

May 15. 2018

Deb – thanks so much. It was very kind of you to think of us. We can only celebrate such a long and well lived life

18. Michelle (Knoll) Fessel

May 17. 2018

Remembering my favorite “Golden Book Man” and a good buddy from my childhood! I am sorry for your loss and remember him fondly!