John Yates, 1951-2018

Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for John Yates, 67, of LaPorte, Indiana, who passed away Friday, May 18, 2018.

John was born April 8, 1951, to H. Marvin and Sylvia (Jasinowski) Yates.

On September 22, 1973, he married Karen Fallis, who survives.

John is also survived by a daughter, Melissa (T.J.) Beckwith of Westfield, Indiana; a son, Christopher (Laura) Yates of Noblesville, Indiana; and four grandchildren, Allison Beckwith, Colten, Gage and Noelle Yates.

He was preceded in death by his parents and a sister, Susan A. Yates.

John was the owner of LaPorte Sporting Goods, his family-owned business for 54 years. He graduated from LaPorte High School and Ball State University, where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta. He was a former member of LaPorte City Park Foundation, LaPorte Jaycees, LaPorte Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, LaPorte YMCA Board of Directors and Trustee, LaPorte County Extension Board, Christian Business Men’s Association, Kiwanis, First Source Bank Advisory Board, and St. Peter Catholic Church, where he served as a president of the parish council and was a lector and eucharistic minister.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 22, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte. A Parish Rosary will be recited at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday, May 23, at St. Peter Catholic Church, LaPorte. Family and friends may gather at 9 a.m. Wednesday in the funeral home. Reverend Ian Williams will officiate.

Memorial contributions may be made to the LaPorte YMCA, 901 Michigan Ave., LaPorte, IN 46350; or St. Peter Catholic Church, 1110 Monroe St., LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

18 Responses to “John Yates, 1951-2018”

1. Tom Kermin

May 19. 2018

Another class mate from the class of 69. Rest In Peace John. All around good guy. Prayers to your family.

2. Kathy T

May 19. 2018

We attended childbirth preparation classes at the Red Cross with John and Karen in 1978; we had our first children a day apart in August of that year. We celebrated their first birthdays together! Great memories. Our love to you Karen.

3. darren wojcieszak

May 19. 2018

Laporte sporting goods was the only sporting goods store laporte has ever had. Now that John is gone it is sad two fold. R.I.P. John Yates. You are missed in laporte.

4. Mike Kellems

May 19. 2018

Karen, Melissa and Chris, I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know… John was a wonderful man and a great friend to many. I would visit with him often in the store, swapped stories and gained an immense appreciation for his love of La Porte. I truly felt like I had come into my own when I rec’d the “privilege” of coming in the back door of the store!

I will always be thankful for his friendship!

5. Chris Smith

May 20. 2018

My heartfelt condolences to Karen, Melissa and Chris. After suffering the past several years, John is at peace now, so I am sure he would want me to share the humorous story of when we met.
    When I first met John at St. Pete’s, I broke into uncontrollable laughter. With his moustache and big glasses, I thought he looked like Groucho Marx! He also broke into laughter, but we were both too polite to explain the reason for our laughter.
    Fifteen years later, on our first Christ Renews His Parish retreat, I retold this story and was met with rolling laughter from John. As it turned out, with my own moustache and big-frame glasses, John thought that I, too, always looked like Groucho Marx!
    And so John, my Marx Brother, enjoy your well-earned peace in heaven. Please say hello to the other St. Peter Parish friends who have passed on. Please watch over those of us who are left behind. We think of you often and La Porte is not the same without you!

6. Steve Leliter

May 20. 2018

Wonderful family. Everyone will miss John.

7. Randall England

May 20. 2018

When I was a punk kid (12/13) I would be looking at the firearms at the store. His dad with a a stern voice would say”Don’t touch”! When he walked off John winked and said “ Be careful”. So where do ya think I went often for hunting and shooting supplies? Honest to god, I was just wondering how he was doing last Thur. Sorry for your loss.

8. Michael Sitar

May 20. 2018

He loved his friends and he loved his ice cream. Heartwarming to see his old buddies take him out for lunch and dessert on a regular basis.

9. Wes England

May 20. 2018

I am saddened to hear of John’s passing. I was blessed to have had many years of friendship with John. I will miss the world with John not in it. So many times we laughed and joked together, He was always smiling and a gentleman. Some people you meet in life seem to touch you in a way that remains with you throughout your days. Some of the best days of my life are remembered along with my visits downtown where John would always greet me with a smile and kind word. That is how I will always remember him.

Wes

10. Mary James

May 20. 2018

So sad to hear this news! John was a fabulous man and heaven gained a wonderful angel! Sending prayers and love to Karen, Melissa and Chris. He will be missed❤️

11. Sue Kaiser

May 21. 2018

Karen and family, so sorry for your loss. John had such a great attitude and was a really nice person. Prayers to all of you.
    Sue Kaiser

12. Susan Klibinski

May 21. 2018

Karen and family, so sorry for your loss. Please know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.

13. Anna Eskridge Lenardson

May 21. 2018

Karen, Missy, Chris and Family
    May the Lord’s Peace be with all of you since we know John is at Peace with our Lord in Heaven. Share your memories of John/dad with each other and everyone you meet to keep him alive in your hearts till the day you are able to be at peace with him. My prayers and thoughts are with all of you.

14. Roger Sacks

May 22. 2018

A great friend, Always made a point of stopping by LP Sporting Goods when in LP to say hi and catch up on the happenings of fellow LPHS class mates. John will be missed. R.I.P. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

15. Jeff Hunter

May 22. 2018

John was such a kind and wonderful man. I have so many fond memories of collecting my ‘paper route money’ so that I could ride my bike downtown to La Porte Sporting Goods. John collected nearly all of my earnings for several years as I spent on tube socks, baseball gear, t-shirts, and just about anything else that I could afford. I absolutely loved talking with him at the store. To me John seemed to know everything about everything. I remember seeing John’s Mom and Dad in the store, but for us teenagers it was mostly John during the mid-70’s. The Yates Family created quite a legacy in LaPorte. RIP John.

16. Roger Workman

May 24. 2018

Rest in peace John ..

17. Sandra Tonsoni

May 24. 2018

Such a great man, who was brought down with an awful disease ! He has suffered & now he is at Peace with his family ! Prayers and Happy thoughts of John’s life in Business & with Family is what we should all remember about John & his friendship and advice he always gave to All at the Store. He will be missed👍