Marvin Carter, 1936-2018

Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for Marvin G. Carter, 82, of LaPorte, Indiana, who passed away Monday, May 21, 2018.

Marvin was born January 23, 1936, in Detroit, Michigan.

On October 29, 1960, Marvin married Julieann “Judy” Mayer, who survives.

Marvin is also survived by two daughters, Liz (Tex) Rhoda of LaPorte and Angie Carter of Fishers, Indiana; a son, Doug (Carol) Carter of Cicero, Indiana; four grandchildren, LeeAnn Carter, Cory Stark, Sam Eaton and Mary Rhoda; four great-grandchild, Elizabeth, Amilia, Lincoln and Sloane; and a brother, Andy Carter of Elkhart, Indiana. A sister Pat Lyda, preceded him in death.

Marvin was the owner of Carter’s Upholstery. He retired July 1, 1985, as a Squad Sergeant with the Indiana State Police after 20 years and 10 months of service. He started his career with the Indiana State Police on September 1, 1964, spending 2 ½ months in the FBI Academy, and was one of four selected statewide on the basis of leadership and management ability.

Marvin was selected as one of two Sergeants statewide to attend and actively participate with board interviews at the Kentucky State Police Headquarters. He spent eight years as Squad Sergeant, supervising eight to 16 Road Troopers. He spent three years, six months volunteering for the Port of Indiana security detail. The duties included supervising gate personnel, investigations of all public personnel employed on Port property, and investigations of criminal law violations.

For two years, six months, Marvin volunteered for Post Command at Dunes Park Post. Duties consisted of directing all Road Troopers to all details, accidents, investigations, and direct control of the Post. He also spent six years on Road Patrol. From July 1, 1960, to June 15, 1964, Marvin worked in a Real Estate Office, where he was manager of the rental division. He introduced a more accurate accounting system and he obtained his Real Estate Broker’s License.

Marvin served his country from February 1956 – January 1958 as a United States Marine. He was meritoriously promoted from boot camp to PFC. He was assigned to the Pacific Fleet. He was meritoriously selected to assist Command with records.

Marvin attended Indiana University in Bloomington from September 1954 – January 1956 and September 1958 – May 1959. He studied 68 hours of business. Then in June 1964 he studied 12 hours of Law Enforcement.

From June to August 1979, Marvin attended the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia, studying Criminal Justice and Supervision, with 14 hours from the University of Virginia.

Marvin also was in the Junior Chamber of Commerce and was a past member of Rotary and Elks clubs, being president for one year and treasurer for two years. He was in the Pioneers of Indiana State Police and he enjoyed playing poker and going fishing.

Visitation will be from 4-8 p.m. Wednesday, May 23, at the LaPorte Civic Auditorium, 1001 Ridge St. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday, May 24, at the LaPorte Civic Auditorium. Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling arrangements.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to VNA Hospice of Northwest Indiana, 2404 Valparaiso St., Valparaiso, IN 46383; or The Independent Cat Society, 4061 S. County Line Rd., Westville, IN 46391.

Messages of condolence may be posted below as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

18 Responses to “Marvin Carter, 1936-2018”

1. Mike Kellems

May 21. 2018

Marv leaves behind a great legacy in law enforcement and while his career was winding down as mine was just beginning, I had always heard of his integrity and selfless service. Certainly an example for us all to follow.

My most sincere condolences to the Carter family.

2. Robert Lyda

May 22. 2018

May Marv rest in peace joining his sister and my mother in Heaven. May God bless and protect the Carter family. Marv was a role model in my life and I will miss him greatly.

3. Elaine Smith

May 22. 2018

I am Carols sister and knowing what a STELLAR man his son Doug is I am sure Marv taught him well! Rest in peace Marv!!

4. Robert Busch

May 22. 2018

Marv was my best friend since 1960. We patrolled north Porter and LaPorte County highways for the State Police and later we ,were transferred to the newly opened Port of Indiana and worked there until he transferred to the Toll Road.
    I will miss him immensely. I that pray God will comfort Judy and family from this day forward. God Bless!

• Diane Brown

May 23. 2018

Did you know my dad, Gene Klein? He was ISP from 1960 – 1980, at the Dunes Post and at The Port.

5. Jeff Hunter

May 22. 2018

My heartfelt condolences to the Carter Family. I remember staying at the Carter’s home in the late 70’s, and Marvin was always a strong, but kind person. Marvin was tough, and for those who knew him will understand that is a compliment. I loved checking out his car, and hearing some stories from either Doug or his Dad. What a great man, devoted husband, and amazing father. Judy, Liz, Doug and Angie, I am so sorry for your loss.

Semper fidelis

6. Robin Mills

May 23. 2018

So sorry for your loss.

7. Nancy & Jerry Cook

May 23. 2018

Doug, Carol, Lee Ann & family, So very sorry for your loss. Our deepest sympathy and prayers. Blessings to all.

8. Carl Wisnieski

May 23. 2018

Mark and Judy were neighbors of mine for numerous years. Nicer people, you could not ask for.
    We are so sorry for your loss, and send our deepest sympathy to all the family.
    Carl and Mary

9. Bruce Scherer

May 23. 2018

Doug and Carol,
    So sorry for your loss, Jayme and I are thinking of you and your family..

10. Earl & Carolyn yoder

May 23. 2018

Very Sorry for the Family.s loss Have known Marv since High School.

11. Diane Klein Brown

May 23. 2018

My dad, Gene Klein, worked with Mr. Carter on the ISO. I remember listening to stories they shared. He was a great man. I am so sorry for your loss.

12. Ann Gomba Ramion

May 23. 2018

My sincere condolences to the Carter family.

13. Carol (tobar) Roach

May 23. 2018

Thank you Marv & Judy for all your contributions to the Knights of Columbus!!! So many fun times!!

14. Roger Workman

May 24. 2018

Rest in peace Marc .

15. DAN WITHEE

May 24. 2018

I am sorry for your loss to all of you , I really enjoyed being around Marv when I had chance to . Marv once told me that sometimes you have to let common sense override the letter of the law and put your self in someone else’s shoes before you judge , I will never forget that . Doug drop me a line if you get the chance to at some point

16. Dan & Cheryl Robinson

May 24. 2018

Doug, Carol and LeeAnn, we are so very sorry for you loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

17. Sandra Tonsoni

May 24. 2018

My prayers & good thoughts go out to you Judy & your family. Marv was a great man his devote work for the troopers was the best! He always had a joke or story to tell, he will be missed by all who knew him! My sincere best of wishes to you all at this saddened time time in your lives, but we know he is in a much better place & peaceful, no more pain.