County inmate work crew beautifies Patton Cemetery, prepares community garden

Press release and photos from LaPorte County Sheriff’s Office

During the last week of May, the Community Work Program (CWP) Crew, under the supervision of Jim Jackson, completed two major projects. CWP crew members are trusties from the LaPorte County Jail.

Early in the week, the CWP crew completed all the trimming work around hundreds of headstones and trees in Patton Cemetery, LaPorte, in preparation for Memorial Day. A total of 13 hours was spent on this project.

Later in the week, the crew partnered with American Licorice Company. Sweet Goods Community Garden, located on LaPorte’s east side, is sponsored by the candy company. The CWP crew moved 15 yards of soil into planter boxes in just three hours.

8 Responses to “County inmate work crew beautifies Patton Cemetery, prepares community garden”

1. Rebecca Fistel

May 29. 2018

Good work. I think it is a great idea to give non violent offenders an opportunity to be productive and give back. Ithere are many projects around the county that could be completed by these offenders. Whoever is in charge of this, thsnk u and keep it up.

2. Ron

May 29. 2018

This community work to benefit the cemetery is an excellent idea. Not only will it provide the man-power to keep the cemetery maintained, but it’s something that can be done throughout the year, not just before the holidays. Nice work to those involved in organizing, coordinating, supervising, and publicizing this event. The people who worked have gained an opportunity to know how rewarding such work can be.

3. Lloyd C Cooper

May 29. 2018

Great to read this article. Although I haven’t lived in La Porte for many years my parents are buried at Patton Cemetery. I still keep up on my home town through your website. Thank you.

4. Diane Humphrey

May 29. 2018

I appreciate the work the county inmates have done for our community, especially the much needed help at Patton Cemetery. I have relatives very near & dear to me who are buried there. Knowing their final resting places are being taken care of is a thankful feeling.. God bless you, CWP Crew..

5. lawman

May 29. 2018

great idea!!! someone thinking here. these people get out and Patton gets spruced up-it needs it.

6. Judge Roy Bean

May 29. 2018

Great idea. Thanks to all involved for your help and hard work.

7. Marcia Felton

May 30. 2018

Nice work. I still think a non profit organization should be created to fund future maintenance on the cemetery. Or perhaps the historical preservation society should get involved since the cemetery holds a lot of history.

• gobnaitx

May 31. 2018

I believe there is both a cemetery association board and a foundation board. They have a Facebook page for those who are interested in getting involved.