Richard Sherwood, 1938-2018

Cutler Funeral Home and Cremation Services, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for Richard Lee Sherwood, 79, of Union Mills, IN, who passed away Wednesday, May 30, 2018, at his home.

Richard was born in Union Mills, IN, on December 12, 1938, to Wallace D. and Josephine Elizabeth (Vitoux) Sherwood.

On April 23, 1960, in Kingsford Heights, IN, he married Nora Ann McVay, who survives in Union Mills.

Also surviving are his beloved daughters, Deb (Carl) Rowe of LaPorte, Linda (Todd) Wyman of Union Mills, Jo (Dale) Crook of LaPorte, Denise (Mike) Fitzgerald of Ames, IA, Shari Monroe of Greenwood, IN, and Connie (Steve) Senne of Union Mills, IN; grandchildren, CJ Rowe, Chelsie Troxel, Chance Rowe, Mikaela Wyman, Wyatt Wyman, Cody Wyman, Jordan Crook, Zachary Crook, Brianna Sullivan, Erika Maroon, Derek Fitzgerald, Josh Monroe, Jessica Monroe, Mitch Monroe, Jaxon Senne, A.J. Senne, and Clay Senne; great-grandchildren, Declan Troxel, Nora Troxel, Rhett Sullivan, Rylan Sullivan, Benjamin Crook, and Amelia Monroe; and siblings, Jim Sherwood who is his best friend, Carol Lamb, and Chuck Sherwood.

He was preceded in death by his parents and two brothers, Bruce and Ed Sherwood.

Richard was a lifelong farmer and took pride in keeping the family farm. He was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, LaPorte Knights Of Columbus, and the LaPorte County Fair Committee. He was a Union Mills girls softball coach and he loved watching his grandkids’ games.

A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11 a.m. (CT) on Monday, June 4, at Cutler Funeral Home and Cremation Services, LaPorte, with Father Jerry Schweitzer officiating. Interment will take place following the service at Sacred Heart Cemetery in Wanatah, IN.

Visitation will be held at Cutler Funeral Home from 5-9 p.m. (CT) Sunday, June 3, and from 10 a.m. (CT) until the service Monday.

Memorial contributions may be directed to March of Dimes National Office, 1275 Mamaroneck Ave., White Plains, NY 10605; or Riley Children’s Foundation, 30 S. Meridian St., Suite 200, Indianapolis, IN 46204-3509 C/O Cancer Department; or Union Mills Little League, c/o Richard Sherwood Family.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.cutlerfuneralhome.com.

14 Responses to “Richard Sherwood, 1938-2018”

1. Shannon (Ames) Taddeucci

May 31. 2018

Connie and family,

So sorry for your loss.

2. billie thresh womack

Jun 01. 2018

Nora and Family, So sorry to hear of Richard passing Prayers to all .

3. Mike and Mary Spiess

Jun 01. 2018

Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. He was a great guy!

4. Gyneth Mayer

Jun 01. 2018

So sorry for your loss, Nora and family.

5. Marylou Pumroy

Jun 01. 2018

Nora;Our deepest sympathy to you and your whole family. Good memories from years past. Blessings and prayers.

6. Susan Martin

Jun 02. 2018

My deepest sympathy for your loss. My prayers for your comfort. Love to all the family.

7. Cathy Holzapfel Wilson

Jun 02. 2018

I am so sorry for your loss.

8. Dick and Carol Welsh

Jun 02. 2018

Our deepest sympathy is extended to the Sherwood family.

9. Shreves Family

Jun 03. 2018

Thinking of the Sherwood family, know we love the memories made with your family and we hold you all in our thoughts and prayers. Stay Strong and know your not alone.
    Sincerely,
    Shreves Family

10. ronald heiden

Jun 03. 2018

Nora:

I want to wish you my deepest sympathy for your great loss.

Ron Heiden

11. Abby Rinker(Kitchell)

Jun 04. 2018

I’m so sorry for your loss. I so enjoyed seeing him and Nora in church on Sundays. He always had such encouraging words for this mother of 5 walking out of church wondering what was just said because my crazies had me so busy the whole mass. His words went straight to my heart and I will forever cherish his olive branch of hope. I remember being able to hold his hand during the our father several years ago and close my eyes and feel like my grandpa was standing next to me. The hand of a farmer. The hand of someone who worked hard not only to support his family, but to show an unconditional love too. I will miss that smile of his. I will miss knowing I have him watching my pew…..Watching my kids be ornery and sweet, the actual moments when they pay attention, the moments I have to punish them in front of everyone…..And especially on those days he would tell me how great Chet and I are doing.
    I’ll forever have my wedding video of Jo and her husband and Nora and Dick dancing from behind the catering counter. Such love.
    It’s true, you never know what small gestures you make will be the world of difference to someone else. He mastered that skill.
    Sending love and prayers to the whole family.
    Love, Abby Rinker

12. Heather Lubs Benson

Jun 05. 2018

So sorry for your loss..from the Lubs/Benson family..thoughts and prayers from our family to yours

13. Penny Hollifield

Jun 05. 2018

Denise, so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing – my thoughts and prayers go out to you at this time. I have thought of you and Mike often since we lost touch. I always thought you had a beautiful family.

14. Steve & Joyce Gourley

Jun 12. 2018

Our deepest sympathy to you all. Mr. Sherwood, Nora and your daughters touched our lives. Our family was blessed by your love. Steve and Joyce Gourley