Leslie Batten, 1945-2018

Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for Leslie A. Batten, 72, of LaPorte, Indiana, who passed away Friday, July 6, 2018.

Leslie was born September 3, 1945, in Muncie, Indiana, to James R. and Sarah Louise (Holmberg) Batten.

On August 8, 1964, Leslie married Nancy H. Smith, who survives.

Leslie is also survived by a daughter, Lori (Michael) Collins of LaPorte; a son, Jeffrey (Tammy) Batten of LaPorte; five grandchildren, Megan (Seth) Brunner, Ashlyn (Todd) Anson, Joshua (Felica) Batten, Zachary (Jennifer) Perschke, and Bianca Batten; two great-grandchildren, Audrey and Gracie Anson; a sister, Cynthia (Steve) Besser of Albany, Indiana; and a brother, Richard (Susan) Batten of Fishers, Indiana.  He was preceded in death by his parents.

Leslie was a computer programmer/analyst with Whirlpool, retiring after working 30 years and then freelancing for 2 years. He then worked with the Intercomp Group and Fiserv, both in South Bend, Indiana. He was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church, a life member of the Knights of Columbus, and an avid Notre Dame fan.

Visitation will be from 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, July 10, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, where a Parish Rosary will be recited at 6:30 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 11,  at St. Joseph Catholic Church in LaPorte. Family and friends may gather at 9 a.m. Wednesday in the funeral home. Reverend Jaime Perea will officiate. Burial will follow in Pine Lake Cemetery, LaPorte.

Memorial contributions may be made to LaPorte County Small Animal Shelter, 2852 W. Ind. 2, LaPorte, IN 46350; or St. Vincent de Paul Society of St. Joseph, 109 C St., LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

9 Responses to “Leslie Batten, 1945-2018”

1. Jeanne Essling

Jul 07. 2018

So sorry to hear that Les passed. He was a very nice person.

2. Karen Pulaski

Jul 07. 2018

Sending my sincere condolences . So very sorry to hear this news. Thoughts and prayers are with you Nancy and the entire family. If I can help in any way please reach out – I am here for you.

3. Deb Cain

Jul 07. 2018

Nancy, so sorry to hear of the passing of Les. He was a good man and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers for you.

4. Claudia Raymond

Jul 09. 2018

Nancy,Lori and Jeff
    We are so sorry for your loss. You were all such great neighbors. Les was always a very nice man and will be missed

5. Jane Wawok

Jul 10. 2018

Nancy,
    So very sorry to read this about your husband. We saw you both at Louie’s not too long ago. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this most difficult time.

6. Joanne Haferkamp

Jul 11. 2018

Dear Nancy and Family
    Sincere condolences to you and yours. Thoughts and prayers.

Joanne Haferkamp

7. Mark

Jul 11. 2018

Nancy: So sorry for your loss, I would have been at the visitation to offer my words of comfort to you, but just saw this on Wednesday. Will keep you in my prayers during this difficult time.

8. Anita M. Way

Jul 11. 2018

Nancy, I am very sorry to hear of your husband’s passing. I didn’t know him very well; but, I do know the loss of a life partner is a life-changing event.

Deepest sympathy,
    Anita

9. So very sorry to hear about Les. I grew up in Albany, and we were in the same church youth group and both sang in the choir. He was always such a nice guy. I found him on Facebook a few years ago and enjoyed his posts and pictures of his family. Please know I will keep your family in my prayers. He loved his family so much.