Christina Espar fills GOP spot for county prosecutor on Nov. 6 ballot

Information provided

LaPorte County Deputy Prosecutor Christina “Nina” Espar announced her candidacy for LaPorte County prosecutor. Surrounded by family, friends and supporters, Espar made her announcement by appearing with the LaPorte County Republican Party in LaPorte’s 4th of July Parade and introducing herself to the thousands who attended.

On July 2, the LaPorte County Republican Party officially slated Espar as the GOP candidate for prosecutor in the Nov. 6 general election. At 28, Espar is thought to be the youngest candidate to seek the position of LaPorte County prosecutor. She said since she has no prior political experience, she comes into the race unburdened by the associations that tie her opponent to the failed practices of the past. And unlike her opponent, who has run in three previous failed bids for public office, Espar says she is free of the political debts of the professional politician.

“As I watched my opponent forge relationships in his primary race with the very individuals who the prosecutor’s office was actively prosecuting, as well as individuals who had established their own criminal records, I concluded the people of LaPorte County deserve better and deserve a prosecutor who is loyal to them and the community the prosecutor serves.”

Espar says she is entering the race at a time when there is a growing excitement across the nation for candidates who reflect the values of our communities and who bring energy, enthusiasm and a new approach to public office. Communities around the country are embracing women and men her age as candidates for public office and expressing an eagerness to entrust the future of tomorrow into the hearts and minds of new leaders today. She makes proud reference to former LaPorte Mayor Blair Milo, who as a young woman made history in becoming mayor at age 28.

“I am honored and excited beyond description at the opportunity to bring a new vision, a new energy and a new generation of leadership into the race for LaPorte County prosecuting attorney,” said Espar. “I care. I care about the place and community we call home; I care about the women and men in law enforcement who daily place their lives on the line to keep us safe; and I care about victims of crime, so much so that I could not in good conscience sit on the sidelines of this election. I stepped forward to offer the good people of LaPorte County a positive alternative on the ballot come Nov. 6.”

Espar was born and raised in LaPorte County. She graduated from Kelley School of Business at Indiana University and earned her law degree with honors from Valparaiso University School of Law. Upon admission to the Bar, Christina was sworn in as a LaPorte County deputy prosecutor, which she says has been the only position she ever envisioned for her legal career, until now.

26 Responses to “Christina Espar fills GOP spot for county prosecutor on Nov. 6 ballot”

1. Sharon

Jul 10. 2018

I wish you luck! I have had my fill of the other family that he running from. I think the people of LaPorte need to keep their eyes open. Again, I wish you luck!

• Blue Wave

Jul 13. 2018

Sharon, the people spoke on May 8th. They have had their fill of the Espar family. And that includes all the relatives and friends employed by John Espar, just sayin’…

2. gobnaitx

Jul 10. 2018

So let me see if I understand this. The woman who announced her candidacy for the LP County Prosecutor, running as a Republican, is the daughter of the current LP County Prosecutor, a Democrat, who lost his primary election race? And she’s currently a deputy prosecutor, which means she’s an employee of her father’s?

Call me skeptical of her ability to bring a “new vision.” This sounds more like a Hail Mary attempt to retain control or to lash out at the guy who beat the incumbent (her dad). This is embarrassing and I’m disappointed the GOP even agreed to this.

• Anon

Jul 10. 2018

Agreed. This seems a little strange.

• Gail Johnson

Jul 10. 2018

So proud to hear of a young woman who stands on her own 2 feet and her own record. Turns out Party alignment doesn’t always transfer through DNA. I hope she wins and hires her father, or mother, or sister’s friend’s cousin if they have her tenacity and record of working hard for LaPorte’s residents.

• Are you kidding

Jul 11. 2018

Working hard for LaPorte County? She’s been an attorney for 3 years and has ZERO trial experience. This is the person you want in charge of prosecuting murder, rape and child molesting cases? No thank you! LAKE has the experience we need.

• gobnaitx

Jul 11. 2018

If her dad had a good record of working hard for La Porte’s residents, one would think he’d have been re-elected. I’m not a resident anymore and haven’t really followed his record, but getting beaten in the primary isn’t a good sign that voters are satisfied with the job you’re doing.

As for running on HER record, it sounds to me that she doesn’t really have one. I’m definitely curious (and perhaps the journalists of La Porte County will look into this) whether this young lady has a record of voting Republican in primaries. At 28, she should have had maybe six opportunities to do so, and that is public record. If not, it would seem the GOP is either playing games here or betraying its voters by slating someone with no record of support for the party.

• Jack Pond

Jul 10. 2018

gobnaitx – no, you pretty much have it exactly correct. Has the Republican candidate ever voted Republican?

3. Danelle

Jul 10. 2018

I like her standing up to avenge her dad maybe, but when I checked on her record of cases at in.gov, I didn’t find any criminal cases that she had handled. I find that a little strange. Anyone else feel that way?

4. Grace

Jul 11. 2018

I think we should embrace a young candidate who cares about our county instead of persecuting her for being young. She has the heart, drive, education AND experience. She became a prosecutor right out of law school. A leader can be young. She is a leader and she is her own person. We should give her a chance; listen to her views and plans for the prosecutor’s office.

• Seriously

Jul 12. 2018

She has NO experience. Her dad gave her a job at the prosecutors office. Her plans will be exactly the same as her dads and those policies ARE NOT working. Ask yourself this- would she be running if her dad lost the primary? Is that the only thing “drivIng” her?

5. Are you kidding too?

Jul 11. 2018

Lake ran in 3 failed attempts for public office on both the Republican and Democrat side. Like Gobnaitx “If Lake had a good record of working hard for La Porte’s residents, one would think he’d have been elected at something.” I look forward to seeing her campaign!

6. Abigail

Jul 11. 2018

I couldn’t be more thrilled to see this news! I have known Nina since our Catholic school days. Even then she was a leader and someone you could count on. I am completely on board with his campaign! Can’t wait for another Espar to help run this community the way it should be run! Go Nina!!

7. icare

Jul 11. 2018

What do Lake’s 3 losses in a primary when he ran for judge matter? Just proves to me he isn’t a party hack. He doesn’t lose criminal jury trials, which is the most important thing I care about when voting for my next prosecutor!

• icaremore

Jul 11. 2018

Lakes 3 losses has to do with the fact that he ran as democrat for prosecutor and lost than ran as republican for judge and lost and now back to democrat. So as a matter of fact that is more of a party hack than Christina Espar who has only ran republican. I call BS on the last statement of his experience and I look forward to that being called out this campaign season!

• Icare

Jul 11. 2018

May want to care more about getting your facts straight “icaremore”. Lake has only run 1 time for prosecutor as a Democrat and he won beating her dad this year. He ran one time as a Republican for judge way back in 2006, then left that party and has been a Democrat ever since. Funny you question his experience, these facts were brought out in the race against her dad, but the one fact you fail to mention is that she has NO experience at all with criminal cases…that will definitely be brought out this campaign season I bet!

• partyhacker

Jul 11. 2018

Ok so he is, as you called it a party hack. Point taken.

8. John Doeadear

Jul 11. 2018

Thank God someone is running against Lake for prosecutor and I can’t be happier that it’s Christina Espar. I’ve known the Espar family for 20+ years and I’ve never known anyone more dedicated and committed to their community than them. John Espar started the Crimes Against a Child unit at the prosecutor’s office and can only hope Christina continues that valuable work. Their tenacity at removing sexual perpetrators and pedophiles from our communities can’t be left in anyone else’s hands.

9. Blue Wave

Jul 11. 2018

Look at mycase.in.gov and enter each of the candidates’ names. Search as “attorney” and limit your search to criminal cases. Their records speak for themselves.

10. CHANGE

Jul 12. 2018

The point it and was made in May we need a change ask you local law enforcement what they think of they would even choose to give an opinion. Miss Espar is a Juvenile Prosecutor and good for her for trying to get involv d with the community and express interest in this position. Personally I don’t feel this is the time, but I totally encourage her to build her resume and possibly run again. Point is we need a change and I don’t feel she is the change we need at this time.

11. Elect Christina

Jul 12. 2018

I look forward to following this campaign and supporting Christina. I believe that a key element and responsibility of the county prosecutor is to run an office with a high level of moral judicial values. It’s clear that after following Lake’s primary campaign that he’s willing to allign himself with individuals that have proven track records of disobeying law enfocement and the laws that Lake would have to uphold. These factors makes me question his loyalty to our local law enforcement and those men and women that put their lives on the line. And if I’m correct, which I believe that I am, aren’t the prosecutor and local law enforcement supposed to work jointly to achieve a common goal?

12. John Doeadear

Jul 12. 2018

What change do you want to see? Crime is down. Convictions are up. A MAJOR dent is being made to get pedophiles and sexual perpetrators off the streets.

The problem we have in this community and throughout government in general is no one is willing to hold government employees accountable. The moment someone does, those employees generate more effort to defeat their elected boss than they ever put into their job.

Thank our current prosecutors for holding everyone accountable. That’s most likely why Lake was forced out in the first place, and why we don’t need him back!

13. Anon

Jul 13. 2018

Just like with Hillary Clinton, I don’t care one way or the other if a woman is in a position of power, just not this woman. For all of you saying we need a “young woman” to do this job, I would simply like to ask why. Her young age is a sign of a lack of life and professional experience. Her qualifications for the position are equivalent to that of a McDonald’s cashier.

14. Blue Wave

Jul 13. 2018

Nina Espar trying to run as a “young, fresh perspective” is as truthful as McDonald’s trying to rebrand its current menu as healthy and organic. Gimme a break…

15. Herb Burgundy

Jul 15. 2018

It’s funny how some of you voters speak of “experience counts” when government has been run like doo doo for years now…so, I agree with Tim Stabosz when he says the electorate is ignorant. Maybe he is right. You sad, pathetic people are to blame for placing your “experience” votes with those who only have experience taxing you and making your life irritating at the very least.

• Anon

Jul 15. 2018

Then perhaps you know some high school students you’d like to suggest we vote in for sheriff or county council or county commissioner or auditor. Why would we vote for someone with zero experience who is only working in the office because daddy gave her a job?