Joan Kowalczyk, 1932-2018

Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for Joan A. Kowalczyk, 86, of LaPorte, Indiana, who passed away with her loving family by her side on Saturday, July 28, 2018.

She was born May 16, 1932, in LaPorte to James and Rose (Dudak) Jasinowski.

Joan had been employed with Berkel U.S. Slicing Company in LaPorte, then later as the catalogue supervisor with the LaPorte J.C. Penney for many years. She was an avid reader and gardener and enjoyed working out with the exercise group at St. John’s. Joan was a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, where she was Director of Religious Education for many years, and was a member of PRCU Club.

On Jan. 29, 1955, Joan married Richard T. Kowalczyk, who survives with their children, Alicia (James) Barnhart of LaPorte, Thomas (Paul Stearns) Kowalczyk of Oakland, California, David (Barbara McConnell) Kowalczyk of Crown Point, Indiana, and Marti (Mark) Coffey of Shelbyville, Indiana; and grandchildren, Nikolas (Amber and Michael) Barnhart and Lauren Barnhart, and Craig and Emily Coffey; and several nieces and nephews including Sister Carmen Gillick and family friend, Bozena Raic.

Joan was preceded in death by her parents; stepmother, Margaret Jasinowski; brothers, John Kozlowski and Stanley and Ted Jasinowski; and sisters, Ann Swift, Adeline Serafin, Helen Bernacchi, Kay Gillick and Harriet Swanson.

Visitation will be from 4-7 p.m. Friday, August 3, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, where a Parish Rosary will be recited at 4 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, August 4, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church with Reverend Ian Williams officiating. Burial will follow in Pine Lake Cemetery, LaPorte. Cremation has taken place.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Food Pantry at Sacred Heart Parish, 130 Bach St., LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

16 Responses to “Joan Kowalczyk, 1932-2018”

1. Jan & John Weiss

Jul 30. 2018

Wonderful happy memories of a sweet, warm, soft spoken Lady. Joan was the epitamy of grace. She was one of the very best that past our way. We will miss her affectionate sincere smile.

2. Dot Lofton

Jul 30. 2018

I have fond memories of how Joan cared for my next door neighbor Margaret Jasinowski. She was a very kind woman.

3. Bernita Liberatore

Jul 30. 2018

A wonderful caring person. I have fond memories of Joan working with my husband at J.C. Penney’s as catalog supervisor. My prayers go out to the family.

4. Karen

Jul 30. 2018

Joan was such a sweet lady. Many times she would give me words of encouragement as I was raising my girls. Rest in peace Joan. Heaven has gained a true angel. Prayers to her family.

5. Charlie Mas

Jul 31. 2018

Alicia, Jim & family,

Sorry to hear of your mom’s passing – she has obviously left lasting parts of herself in you and those who knew her. May her shared memories from those close help you and the family through the days ahead. God speed.

6. Mark & Mary Landry

Jul 31. 2018

We feel very blessed to have known Joan. She was gracious, lovely, thoughtful, and caring. It was always a pleasure talking with her. We will miss this special lady.

7. Chris

Jul 31. 2018

I worked
    with Joan many years ago at JC Penny, she was a very lovely lady and had a wonderful outlook on life, and always had a smile. RIP

8. Lisa (Rejak) Tippmann

Jul 31. 2018

Joan was such an inspiration to me in the early years of my spiritual journey. The phrase “Well done my faithful servant” is more than perfect to describe what a wonderful lady Joan was. She was a very special lady whom I will remember fondly. Prayers for all those who will miss the many blessings she bestowed on so many.

9. Debra Fisher

Aug 01. 2018

I’ve been Mr. & Mrs. K’s neighbor for about 17 yrs and couldnt have made friends with kinder and sweeter people to live by. Joan was a wonderful, kind, Christian woman that always smiling and had a laugh in her heart. She will be missed more then words can say

10. Jerry Spevak

Aug 01. 2018

I’m very sad to learn of Joan’s passing. She was a wonderful spiritual person who always greeted you with a smile and a kind word. Rich, Alicia, Tom, David and Marti, you have my and my family’s deepest sympathy.

11. Beth Hasko

Aug 01. 2018

RIP Mrs.K, I will never forget all the great memories I have had at your home hanging out with Marti and in later years when I would see you out and around town. You were and will always be a very special Lady and am glad to have had your wisdom, advice and love. You will always have a special place in my heart. Fly high with the angles! My prayers for the Kowalczyk Family at this time!

12. Carole (Spevak) Winnicki

Aug 02. 2018

Sacred Heart has lost a treasure! Mrs. K was such a kind, gentle-spoken, dedicated (especially all those years with CCD!) lady who lived her faith so beautifully. She is an inspiration to all who were blessed to know her. May God bless her soul abundantly as she was a true servant. May God comfort the Kowalczyk family and all of us who mourn her loss.

13. Carol Belzowski Welsh

Aug 02. 2018

I extend my deepest sympathies to
    you all.

14. Karen Carlson

Aug 03. 2018

Mrs. K, such a loss to this community as a whole. You were devoted to your faith and your family. A true inspiration to many. You will be sadly missed. Rest in peace dear lady. My condolences to the family. Alicia, Tom, Rich, Dave and Marti you were lucky to have such a wonderful lady as your mother.

15. Carolyn Witek

Aug 03. 2018

Rich, I was so sorry to learn of Joan’s passing. I know we have been out of touch recently, but I remember you both well. I pray that Joan will rest in peace and that you and your family will find the strength to carry on. Blessings to all of you. You are in my prayers. Carolyn

16. Lisa Levenhagen Oakes

Aug 04. 2018

Marty, I am so sorry for the loss of Mom. Tho I didn’t know her well, I know she was a great lady. I pray tgat her loving memory comforts you in the days to come. Miss you!