Jack Beck, 1935-2018

Cutler Funeral Home and Cremation Center, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for Jack L. Beck, 83, of LaPorte, who passed away on Thursday, August 2, 2018, at Settlers House.

Jack was born in Muncie, Indiana, on January 29, 1935, and raised in the Delaware County Children’s Home until going to live at the age of 12 with his foster parents, Leon and Rachel (Bowell) Scott. He graduated from Daleville High School in 1953 and earned his Bachelor’s degree in 1957 and his Master’s degree in 1960 from Ball State University.

On August 20, 1960, in Hebron, IN, he married Heather McNeill, who survives. Also surviving are his beloved children, Cynthia (Kenneth) Moe of Westfield, IN, Kevin (Amy Price) Beck of Hastings, MI, Craig (Mindy Walters) Beck of Ridgecrest, CA, and Doug (Melissa Langford) Beck of LaPorte; 9 grandchildren, Emily, Erin and Ethan Moe, Ian, Peter and Kirby Beck, and Sarah, Tom and Anna Beck; foster brother, David Scott of Prineville, OR; as well as numerous nieces and nephews.

Jack was a retired teacher of 33 years and Athletic Director at Kesling Middle School for 20 years.  He was an active member of the Presbyterian Church of LaPorte and served as an Elder and as a member of numerous church committees. Jack enjoyed woodworking and experienced great joy in creating the cross for the Presbyterian Church sanctuary.  He was also an avid world traveler and sports enthusiast.

A Celebration of Life Memorial Service will be held at 1 p.m. (CT) on Saturday, August 25, at the Presbyterian Church of LaPorte with Rev. Dr. Sally Wicks officiating. Interment will follow at the church columbarium. A time of visitation will be held from noon (CT) until the time of the church service Aug. 25.

Memorial contributions may be directed to the Presbyterian Church of LaPorte, 307 Kingsbury Ave., LaPorte, IN 46350, or to a charity of the donor’s choice.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at cutlercares.com.

29 Responses to “Jack Beck, 1935-2018”

1. Mike Kellems

Aug 03. 2018

So very sorry to learn of Jack’s passing… I met him several year back when we were negotiating over the sale of the house next door. Very helpful, true and honest was the impression I was left with.

My condolences to the Beck family.

2. Jerry R.

Aug 03. 2018

My condolences to the Beck family. Mr. Beck was my gym teacher and also my drivers Ed teacher. He was really a great guy. Rest in peace.

3. Joanie Allamon

Aug 03. 2018

My deepest condolences to you, Heather, and to your wonderful family. Jack was a Great Dad and an Honorable man and friend. May you find much comfort as time passes along…💕

4. Deb Hunter

Aug 04. 2018

Sincere condolences to the Beck family. Thanks to Jack for his many years of service to LaPorte students.

5. Anita Brunke

Aug 04. 2018

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your entire family. Jack was such a kind, thoughtful, generous, talented man he will truly be missed. My condolences to all of you.

6. Tom Dorman

Aug 04. 2018

So sorry to learn of Mr. Beck’s passing. He inspired me to get into working out and it has been an important part of my entire life. My condolences to his entire family.

7. Daniel Cubel

Aug 04. 2018

I am saddened to learn of the passing of Mr. Jack Beck. I knew Jack from my earliest days at LaPorte Junior High School in the early 1960s. My condolences and prayers to his family.

8. LaVon Hines

Aug 04. 2018

My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of the family and friends. He was one of the most kind, thoughtful, out-going men that I have ever met! My thoughts and prayers go to all of his family.

9. Steve Leliter

Aug 04. 2018

Wonderful man and family. I was pleased to teach their children at Crichfield school. Mr. Beck was also my teachers. One old memory of the Becks was seeing them entering the White House 1980? just in front of us

10. Mary (Klassen) Freilich

Aug 04. 2018

What a great teacher. He was my typing and driver’s ed. teacher. Truly one of the nicest people!

11. PeteJensen

Aug 04. 2018

A great man and a good friend since I came to Laporte in 1964.

12. john zakes

Aug 04. 2018

my first gym teacher going into 7th grade. great person. just a real nice guy

13. Bill Gangwer

Aug 05. 2018

Jack was the main reason I became a PE teacher.He just had a calm but intense demeanor that made you want to challenge yourself to do your best at every opportunity not just in the classroom but in life! He could just make you feel that accomplishment was just an effort away. Thank you Mr. Beck!!!

14. Bill Gangwer

Aug 05. 2018

The main reason I became a PE teacher was Jack Beck. His interest and intensity really made classes worthwhile .He challenged us and made us feel a sense of accomplishment daily. When I started my career everything he taught us was still relevant . Great man, educator, colleague and friend. Thanks Mr. Beck, I’m who I am because of you.

15. Brian Graham

Aug 06. 2018

Mr. Beck taught me how to drive as well. I echo Bill Gangwer’s sentiments​. Rest in peace.

16. Bryan Tilling

Aug 06. 2018

My condolences to, “Mr. Beck’s” family and friends. That was his name for us kids, at Door Village school in the 70’s. I recall Mr. Beck as being very fair with all. Not talking down to us kids. Don’t recall him ever yelling at anyone. Just an all around very nice person. I’m glad to see he lived a long life. I hope that he did not have to suffer, like many do, towards the closure of their life.

17. John Trickler

Aug 07. 2018

Mr. Beck was my PE teacher and my driving instructor back in the early ’70’s. He was good, fair man. Sorry for you loss.

18. Jim Baumer

Aug 08. 2018

Mr Beck will be missed very much,,I remember him building his house on Waverly

19. Hugh Tonagel

Aug 08. 2018

Mr. Beck was my PE teacher as well and his way of teaching and working with kids was very special. His calm manner and respect for his students influenced us in a way we still remember today!

20. Don Heichel

Aug 09. 2018

Thank you Mr. Beck for the influence you made on my life. You were a great teacher, but even better mentor. I will miss you, and pray you rest in peace.

21. oldekskule

Aug 10. 2018

I just learned of the passing of this fine gentleman. He may have started as my teacher in the early 60’s but over the years he developed into a trusted friend. Rest in Peace Mr. Beck. To your family I would say thank you for having shared this wonderful guy with so many students over the years.

22. Tyler Woods

Aug 10. 2018

A Wonderful Man ! He always displayed a perfect balance of strength and kindness.

23. Karl Jackson

Aug 10. 2018

So sorry to hear. I’ve often wondered how he was doing when I’d ponder about my childhood life/school years. I had him for gym class at Kesling Middle School. Haven’t seen him since then but he left lasting memories. He had a great personality and was full of life. His energy in life left a lasting impression. Like police officers, teachers are awesome. Rest in peace Jack.

24. Marcia McKeever Johnson

Aug 11. 2018

My Condolences go to Heather and the family. Jack was a Physical
    Education Icon for the LP School System. He always had a smile and a positive attitude. He will be missed.

25. Amy Burris and the Burris family

Aug 19. 2018

Dear Beck family, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Mr. Beck. He was such a joyful man and always had a smile on his face. Your family was always a part of my life with all the swim meets. What a wonderful time to grow up with such wonderful people to leave fun lasting memories. I will be praying for all of you.

26. Monica Denney Markel

Aug 25. 2018

May you all find peace in the happy memories. Definitely a special man who left his imprint on many of us. Blessings to you all.

27. Carol McCombs

Aug 25. 2018

A finer person you will never find. Always had a smile and a genuine interest in everyone. I am sad for his family and I know the heartache and how much you miss him. Keep his memory alive. Praying for all of you.

28. Nancy Lein

Sep 01. 2018

I always loved him! Will miss seeing him at PCLP 🙁 Love you Jack!!♥♥ Fly high!

29. Rama Stacy

Oct 04. 2018

I just heard of Jack’s passing. I hope this memory brings a smile to your face as his loved one. Many years ago, I hired Jack to build my husband a swing for his 40th bday. I wanted it to be a surprise. We hid it in the neighbor’s yard and he had to go over to find it there. I still have that swing to this day. Every time I sit on it, I think of Jack.