Jeremiah “Jerry” Burke, 1923-2018

Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, is handling the arrangements for Jeremiah W. “Jerry” Burke of LaPorte, Indiana, who passed away Wednesday, August 22, 2018.

Jerry was born May 21, 1923, in Norwood, MA, to Jeremiah and Julia (Doherty) Burke.

On November 22, 1952, in Norwood, MA, Jerry married Lillian P. Kozak, who preceded him in death on January 25, 1990. On May 23, 1992, in LaPorte, IN, Jerry married Agnes J. Lazarek, who preceded him in death on March 2, 2009.

In 1952, while working for Plimpton Press, Jerry was transferred from Norwood to LaPorte and lived here ever since. After 30 years with Plimpton and its subsequent closing, Jerry began with Whirlpool Corporation, where he retired after 15 years.

Jerry was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church. He was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, having served from 1942-1945 during World War II, serving 18 months in the South Pacific. He was a lifetime member of the Knights of Columbus, St. Michael Council 1542, the Elks, LaPorte VFW, and the American Legion. He was also a member of the Whirlpool retirement club.

Jerry was proud of his Irish heritage. His parents immigrated to the United States from Ireland in 1912.  He was an avid sports fan whose two favorites were the game of golf, along with cheering for the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

Jerry is survived by two sons, Jeremiah (Eileen) Burke of LaPorte and Christopher (Tina) Burke of Germantown, TN; four stepdaughters, Paula Kubica of Kenosha, WI, Marcia (Dean) Krueger of LaPorte, Michaeleen (Mike) Eklund of Mercer, WI, and Kathleen (Tom) Luetkmeyer of Chicago; four grandchildren, Jenna Burke, Jeremiah Burke, Brandon Burke and Brian Burke; many step-grandchildren and step-great-grandchildren; a brother, William Burke of Clearwater, FL; and many nieces and nephews, and cousins in the east.

He was preceded in death by both of his wives; one son, David Burke; three sisters, Ann, Evelyn and Jane; and one stepdaughter, Gabriel Frazier.

Visitation will be held from 4-7 p.m. Sunday, August 26, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, LaPorte, where a Parish Rosary will be recited at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Monday, August 27, at St. Joseph Catholic Church in LaPorte.  Family and friends may gather at 9 a.m. Monday in the funeral home. Burial will follow in St. Joseph Cemetery, LaPorte.

Memorial contributions may be made to St. Joseph Catholic Church or the St. Vincent De Paul Society, 109 C Street, LaPorte, IN 46350, or the Gibault School for Boys, 601 S. U.S. 41, Terre Haute, IN 47802.

Messages of condolence may be posted below as well as at www.esslingfuneralhome.com.

12 Responses to “Jeremiah “Jerry” Burke, 1923-2018”

1. Mike Sitar

Aug 22. 2018

Mr. Burke was a long-time regular at Temple and a no-nonsense fan of Notre Dame football. He enjoyed coffee with his co-fan, Bud Halcomb and we enjoyed their time with us.

2. Pat Snyder Perez

Aug 22. 2018

My condolences to your family. I remember growing up with your family. “Babysitting” and playing bridge with your dad and mom. I saw him at Kelly’s in the past few years and was so impressed with his memory of everyone. Your parents were such good friends with my mom and dad.

3. Charlie Maslankowski

Aug 23. 2018

Jerry, Chris and family,

So very sorry to hear of the passing of your dad. Truly a good man beaming with kindness, a hearty laugh and his good nature every time I saw him! I have many good memories of the family during the good old St Joe days and my “C” street paper route. God speed to you and the family in the difficult days ahead.

4. Joan Hensell

Aug 23. 2018

RIP. What a gracious wonderful man. My condolences to the family. I will miss his cheerful personality. Joan and Rick Hensell

5. mike mcferron

Aug 23. 2018

Jerry, Chris, and extended Burke family – My sincere condolences, we lost a truly fine gentleman.

6. john zakes

Aug 23. 2018

sorry to hear of the passing of Jerry. I was introduced to him many years ago by my father who was a good friend. Jerry was always upbeat and what he said was worth listening to. a loss of a great mentor to me. sincere condolences to his family.

7. Trina Evans

Aug 23. 2018

Jerry and family, Our prayers are with you at this time. Jerry was always such a gentleman. We have know him for many years. Have many fond memories of him. Always enjoyed seeing him at Oakwood’s. He would always greet with a smile and a hug. And that laugh. We will never forget that laugh. We will miss him. Trina & Dan Evans

8. Roger and Debbie

Aug 24. 2018

Very sad day for all who knew and loved him.one of the best on this earth. We will miss you Mr. Burke. Prayers to you and your family. Roger and Deb Pruden. Eternal rest.🙏

9. Mary Welch---

Aug 24. 2018

You all have my deepest sympathy Losing a loved one is always so difficult. However, I will remember Jerry with a smile and even a chuckle because he always wore a brilliant smile and we shared many a laugh as we worked together so many years. I’,m sure he’s already bringing joy to the Heaven where he’ll live pain free and in peace You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

10. Bonnie McMahan Timm

Aug 24. 2018

We used to live across the street from the Burke family on C Street many years. We lived with my grandparents, Tacky & Rainy Hollenberg. I remember all three sons and of course Jerry & Lil. All were great people and was always surprised many years later when I would run into Mr. Burke and he always remembered me. My deepest condolences to Jerry and Chris and the rest of your family.

11. Joan kramer

Aug 24. 2018

Jerry was a very special man. He was the most positive person on earth. I am sure god has his seat ready. Love you Jerry

My mom lives at Oakwood, Fran muller

12. Patty Kegebein

Aug 28. 2018

Jerry ,Christopher and family- my sincere condolences to you and your families. Your dad was such a gentleman and will be missed by many.