Farmer’s machine, high school items among November donations to museum

fanning mill

This fanning mill was manufactured in LaPorte in 1883 by the E.F. Michael Fanning Mill Company. It has its original red paint and lettering that states the name of the company and place of manufacture. Raymond and Helen Greening donated the device, which was used to clean grain.

   Visitors registering at the LaPorte County Historical Society Museum during the month of November 2010 totaled 435, representing 15 Indiana counties, 13 states, Canada and the Netherlands. Groups visiting the museum included the Door Village Kids’ Klub.

Donations in November:

   — Promotional pocket knife from a local firm, Seymour, Stroud & Siljestrom Insurance, Bruce Johnson

   — Wooden, hand-operated fanning mill, a device used by farmers to clean grain, with original paint and pinstriping, made in LaPorte by the E.F. Michael Fanning Mill Company in 1883, Raymond and Helen Greening

   — 1961 letter jacket from Hanna High School, Joan Marks

   — 1938, 1940, 1941 “Immaculata” yearbooks from St. Mary’s High School, assorted archival items and photographs from Queen of All Saints School, Rev. Kenny Kozlowski

   — Navy pilot’s navigational instrument, portable cookstove, both used by donor’s father Lieutenant Robert Mann, assorted items, Dave Mann

   — Decorative holder for a bottle of cognac used to drink a toast to deceased veterans of the Battle of the Bulge, used by Northern Indiana Chapter 30 of Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge, Paul Graham

   — Vintage box of staples marked “C. E. Kemp,” an office store still operating in LaPorte, Norm and Nancy Ryding

   — Land documents dating back to 1832, signed by a local resident Native American, transferring land to Andrew Shaw at Bootjack, near Rolling Prairie, Smith & Wesson 32-caliber revolver that belonged to James Philander Rice of Bootjack, Helen Rice Dale

   — Videotape of the 1987 Pan Am Games at Michigan City, Bruce Johnson

   — 1920s Edison Company coffee urn named “Edicraft Siphonator,” 1903 clothes iron with fuel reservoir for internal flame, marked “The Monitor” and found in the Union Mills Hardware Store, Ed Ennis

   — Book “Court House” by Richard Pare, includes material on the LaPorte County Courthouse, Phyllis Nichols

   — Archival items, Leigh and Marcia Morris

   — Fresh-cut Christmas tree for museum display, Dr. Peter C. Kesling

   — Books and magazines for the sale table, Jill Kitowski, Evelyn Lind, Dick and Jean Bauer, Barb Terpstra, Jim Plenus, Karen Piper, Don Bowman, Sue Harmon, Bob and Jean Miller, Karen Piper, and Barb Skierkowski

Submitted by James Rodgers, curator, LaPorte County Historical Society Museum

www.laportecountyhistory.org

No comments.

Leave a Reply