Physician slain in Chicago shooting, Dr. Tamara O’Neal, was a LaPortean

Dr. Tamara O’Neal

Dr. Tamara O’Neal, who was shot and killed outside her workplace, Mercy Hospital in Chicago, Nov. 19, 2018, was from LaPorte and graduated from LaPorte High School in 1998. She still listed her place of residence as LaPorte on her work bio. She was also a Purdue University graduate.

O’Neal, 38, was slain, allegedly by her ex-fiance Juan Lopez, outside the hospital. Lopez then went into the hospital and shot and killed Chicago Police Officer Samuel Jimenez and hospital pharmacy resident Dayna Less. Less was also a Hoosier (from St. John) and also a Purdue grad.

O’Neal was formerly an ER physician at Franciscan Health, Michigan City, for about a year. Franciscan Health CEO Dean Mazzoni released this statement: “Dr. O’Neal was well liked by everyone on our medical and nursing staffs while she was here. She was very kind and Christian-focused in her approach as an ER doctor. Our heartfelt condolences go out to her family and friends. It’s tremendously painful to lose a promising young physician in such a tragic way.”

Dr. O’Neal had been a member of Christian Fellowship Worship Center for many years and still attended there.

One of those who mourned her loss in a WNLP comment below, Linda Nulf-Schuck, coached Dr. O’Neal at LPHS: “Besides being a student at LPHS where she was a fun-loving, goal-oriented student, she was on the Pom and Dance Team I coached in the ’90s. She was like a daughter to me. Her smile was contagious and she always had a positive attitude. A few months ago, I had a chance to tell her how proud I was of all her accomplishments. She said, “Thanks Pom Mom.” Many hearts are broken right now. Heaven has another Angel, and I fervently pray for her family and friends. God bless her family during this difficult time. Love you Tammy!”

If any family members or friends would like to share further information, photos and/or memories of Dr. O’Neal, please post them as comments below or email them to wnlp@whatsnewlaporte.com

Here is a link to stories about Dr. O’Neal and Dayna Less:

17 Responses to “Physician slain in Chicago shooting, Dr. Tamara O’Neal, was a LaPortean”

1. Daniel Cubel

Nov 20. 2018

So terrible when someone who helps people get well is killed in a senseless shooting. My prayers go out to her family
    .R.I.P. Tamara.

2. Doug Kiff

Nov 20. 2018

My condolences to the O’Neal family for their loss. Tammy was a student of mine and was a wonderful person. Again, to the family, I say, I’m sorry for her passing.

3. Linda Nulf-Schuck

Nov 20. 2018

Besides being a student at LPHS where she was a fun loving goal oriented student, she was on the Pom and Dance Team I coached in the 90’s. She was like a daughter to me. Her smile was contagious and she always had a positive attitude. A few months ago, I had a chance to tell her how proud I was of all her accomplishments. She said, thanks Pom Mom. Many hearts are broken right now. Heaven has another Angel, and I fervently pray for her family and friends. God bless her family during this difficult time. Love you Tammy!!

4. Lynn Lisarelli

Nov 20. 2018

How senseless and such a waste. I am so very, very sorry.

5. Marcia Johnson

Nov 20. 2018

Tamara was a student when I was teaching at LPHS. Condolences go to the family due to this senseless act of violence.

6. Helenann

Nov 20. 2018

Tammy was a delightful, caring and determined young woman. I knew her when she was a Psych Tech on the Stress Center. She always had a love of people and of life. My prayers for her family.

7. David Henrud

Nov 20. 2018

I am so sorry for your loss of your daughter. I’m sure it will be difficult to give thanks this week but I know how hard it is to just get by every day with the sudden loss of a loved one. If you would like a ready to eat dinner on Thursday it would be an honor to provide this for you. I own a restaurant in michigan city and we are doing package dinners for folks who won’t be cooking themselves. I want no publicity or money, I just want to reach out in the only way I can if it will help in a small way to help you through this difficult time. If I can help in any way please email me at davidhensrud@yahoo.com or call me on my personal cell number at 561-6189. Once again our heartfelt condolences and I will say a prayer for you and your loved ones. Respectfully, Chef Dave.

8. Jerry & Anita M Way

Nov 20. 2018

Dear Tom & Glenda, I just watched the news and am so very sorry to hear about Tammy’s passing. I know what it is to lose a child. Our loving God has His arms open wide to accept her into the Gates of the Church Triumphant.

9. May

Nov 21. 2018

The loss of such young bright lives that would of added so much to society is beyond belief! Such a tragedy, the community is grieving also.

10. Gloria

Nov 21. 2018

Her parents were so proud of her. What a tragic waste of kindness and talent. God watch over her family and help them and everyone else through this difficult time of sadness.

11. Mike Bechdol

Nov 21. 2018

My deepest condolences to Tom and family. I was saddened to hear about this tragic event happening to a dear old friend and his family. May they band together with their faith to get them through this difficult time. I pray for these wonderful folks and know the Lord will be with them.

12. Evelyn Magley

Nov 21. 2018

Glenda and family my deepest condolences to you at this time at the loss of your beautiful daughter. May she rest in peace. From a former Hedwin co-worker Evelyn Magley

13. Bob strieter

Nov 21. 2018

Mike said it all, seems like all that I can do is keep you and yours in my mind and prayers, love you all.

14. Carmen Watkins (Cepeda)

Nov 22. 2018

Dearest Vickie and Patti:. I’m so sorry for the loss of your niece. Your entire family have always been outstanding in character in love and Christian values. May Christ comfort all of you at this time. Thanks for all the times we walked home together. God bless you all!

15. Bob Afett

Nov 22. 2018

I’m sorry for the family of the poor officer who died. #backtheblue

16. Susan Taylor

Nov 23. 2018

Glenda, Tom & Family so sorry that this happen to your daughter. My prayers are with you and my heart hurts for you. If you would like to talk to someone who has been through this, I can put you in touch with the Risen family.

17. Donna Norris

Nov 24. 2018

Dearest Glenda,
    Words just can’t express how my heart is breaking for you and your family at this time. Please know my prayers are with you and the family and friends who loved her so. I think about you often and know that God is with you. Our prayers are with all the families who were affected by this senseless act.
    Your friend always, a co-worker at Hedwin.
    Donna