Construction to begin next month on Clear Lake apartment/retail complex

Press release and image provided

Indianapolis-based Flaherty & Collins Properties has announced that The Strand, a $35 million mixed-use development, will start construction in September 2019.

The City of LaPorte Redevelopment Commission selected Flaherty & Collins Properties last year to build a 200-unit multifamily development in the heart of the city’s NewPorte Landing redevelopment project.

“The City of LaPorte is very excited to be partnering with Flaherty & Collins through this development,” said Mayor Mark Krentz. “Flaherty & Collins Properties has a long history of success with projects such as this and we really appreciate that they have chosen to invest in our community.”

The Strand will consist of three buildings totaling approximately 200 new living units and 5,000 square feet of retail space.

The development will occur along the shores of Clear Lake and will provide many unique amenities such as a resort-style pool with wet deck, outdoor courtyard featuring a fire pit and grilling station, a pet wash and bark park, fitness center with Fitness OnDemand technology, and bike storage and repair. Apartments will feature granite countertops, tile backsplashes in kitchen area, and stainless steel appliances.

“We are looking forward to starting The Strand,” said Julie Collier, vice president of development and lead project developer for Flaherty & Collins Properties. “The city has been a great partner in this project, and we believe The Strand will be a vital component for helping the city realize its vision for NewPorte Landing, while giving new residents an exciting living destination that energizes the Clear Lake area.”

The development represents a capital investment of approximately $35 million. The LaPorte Redevelopment Commission is supporting the project with Tax Increment Financing.

“We have no doubt The Strand will be a game-changing project for LaPorte,” said Bert Cook, executive director of the LaPorte Economic Advancement Partnership. “There is a desperate need for this type of housing in our market and we know current residents, and potential new residents, will be excited to call this development home.”

The project should be completed by the third quarter of 2021.

34 Responses to “Construction to begin next month on Clear Lake apartment/retail complex”

1. Anon

Aug 09. 2019

La Porte is turning into South Bend. Soon it will be either too expensive to live here or the crime will be out of control. Either way, time for the normal people to move to someplace that’s still normal. I thought this project was guaranteed to bring jobs to La Porte, not give jobs to some company from Indianapolis. Thanks, Blair, but what do you care I guess…

2. Dee

Aug 09. 2019

This is great…it really is, however, the west side with all the apartments is dying. As soon as Aldi leaves for NewPorte, there will be nowhere close for them to get groceries.

• Jim

Aug 15. 2019

My only concern with this all is Clear Lake. The greatest treasures in laporte are the lakes. I feel like in the last 8 years I have lived here any project that has to do with that lake has ruined its accessability to the non boating public to fish the south side. I know there are other things to worry about. I just want my 2 cents thrown in. 3 parking spaces by furnace st are just not enough. Ive noticed attendance has been down. Planners should want more people there enjoying things.It could be that the plan was to reduce amounts of people fishing because it does not look fancy enough. From what Im reading lately it seems like all this crap is rich vs poor. Nuff said

3. lawman

Aug 09. 2019

what-no dock space for the 40ft yachts these people will have?

• Stop complaining

Aug 11. 2019

Wake up LaPorte ! Your so scared of changes anytime anyone wants to better this town you cry. You can’t keep it Mayberry forever. I don’t understand why you’re so afraid of changes. Is it maybe because you’ll have to clean up your front yard. I hear your concerns about businesses. Do you attend City meetings? That’s where your voice should be heard. I happy to see all changes bike trails. Look for positive not the negative

4. SuzQuz

Aug 09. 2019

Will the living units be rentals or purchases? Will they be luxury or affordable?

5. Steve

Aug 09. 2019

I thought all you’s were complaining that the city was Dead?
    Bringing some needed improvements and all you do is Complain! LOL

• Anon

Aug 09. 2019

Well, Steve, to answer your question, this is NOT what we were promised when the property was “developed”.

• Harry

Aug 09. 2019

Thank you for starting a new positive project in LaPorte. I am anxious to see the construction of new nice housing with retail adjacent. I hope with this new project it will bring interest into the east and west side of LaPorte. It is nice to see the old turned into something new!

6. Beaker

Aug 09. 2019

Hell, they could make them free apartments for anyone who’d lived and worked within La Porte city limits for the last 10 years and you people would still bitch.
    And Anon, you’re right. So, save yourself and move. Hell! I’ll even help you pack.
    Just kidding! I won’t help you pack.

7. John

Aug 09. 2019

Great way to kick out all the local wildlife there. It’s a shame, really. Where are the poor animals supposed to go with humans intruding on them left and right?

• matt

Aug 15. 2019

Isn’t this area an open, bare field at the moment? That area has been so polluted and run down over the years (Clear Lake included). Hopefully getting some new residents, who actually care about where they live, will help out!

8. ILUVLP

Aug 09. 2019

I’m with you Steve. I think this is a step forward for LP and especially the Clear Lake area which was really getting run down many years ago. It’s making a postive comeback, and I’m all for it. Some of these folks complain about every little thing, but still stick around LP.
    Go figure.

9. Laportean

Aug 09. 2019

This is a boost that LaPorte needs. Moving back to LaPorte was very frustrating for me. Took over a year to find suitable housing. I would have moved here in a heartbeat. Despite what the naysayers say, there is a need for this and there are people who have the income to move here. Wonderful that they will spend money locally instead of helping the surrounding areas. People who start spending will help to bring more businesses to town. Can’t wait to see the results!

10. LATW

Aug 09. 2019

I wouldn’t be too concerned either way. Remember the outfit that purchased the Maple Lane Mall almost 2 years ago, and planned on putting in a Rural King store? That never happened and looks as if it never will.

11. CAA

Aug 10. 2019

This stinks and it’s not gonna work. Anon I am with you. I’m ready to move too. These new ideas are ruining our fair city.

12. Chuka

Aug 10. 2019

Great news, progress is essential for a viable community.

13. chrissy

Aug 10. 2019

LaPorte does need new and better housing. Have you driven around to look at some of the neighborhoods? I’ve lived here 41 years and I am thrilled to see any improvements. Some things are improving and I am all for it.

14. lawman

Aug 10. 2019

Chrissy the houses went to heck cause people either don’t work or don’t care. how are the people from ”neighborhoods” gonna afford UPSCALE apartments????

• Cindy

Aug 10. 2019

If it is really true that Aldi is leaving the West side I’m sorry to hear that. It is getting so congested over by New Port Landing. We don’t need another grocery store so close to Kroger. The West side will no longer have a grocery store. This does not make any sense.

15. Betty

Aug 10. 2019

I am all for improvements, but are these people going to be commuting from Chicago? There are not enough job opportunities now for the people who live here.especally that pay enough to rent or buy high end apartments. We need industries, manufacturing and technological that employ more than 10 people like the small stores, fast food places, etc..do. While the brilliant masterminds are making their dream of NewPorte Landing come true, the west side of La Porte is dying and the downtown is failing. Why hasn’t something been done at the Maple Lane Mall? Why don’t we have places to go and things to do for the young people?

• ILUVLP

Aug 11. 2019

Betty,
      Unfortunately the young people today don’t get out and go roller skating, bowling, fishing, and too movies like we used to do. Their fun now is staying indoors and gaming.
      And heaven forbid you ask a young person to mow the lawn or get out and get a job. Not all youth are like that and lazy, but a great number are and it’s not just in LP.
      I’ve noticed that even the malls are dead because you can just order things on line and get them shipped free. Who needs to leave the house?
      My brother, who moved from LP many years ago, just made a trip back there and couldn’t believe how run down it is.
      I’m glad to see any new businesses or improvements in LP.
      To h-ll with the naysayers that do nothing but gripe. Move on if you don’t like improvements I say.

16. Jim

Aug 11. 2019

I agree with Betty. What’s the point of creating high-end, upscale, expensive apartments when the average La Porteans won’t be able to afford them? And I also agree with John about intruding upon the poor wildlife in the area, forcing them to go elsewhere when they were there first. The west side of La Porte has been in a slump for years ever since Maple Lane Mall was abandoned. That empty mall is a dump and a huge eyesore on the community. The downtown is a disaster, with businesses closing left and right. Oh, but let’s build high-end, upscale, expensive apartments out at New Porte Landing and attract more rich Chicago people.

• sull

Aug 13. 2019

Jim, I can assure you chicago people aren’t moving to laporte to live in an apartment. Also, if you want average things, and average affordability for every average thing, move to communist-land. I hear it’s very average.

The empty mall is a dump, because it was filled with average businesses that had average customers.

17. Mama

Aug 11. 2019

Perhaps they would like to capitalize on our lakes and tourism, in the hopes folks with money will come here instead of New Buffalo. That’s great, but it won’t provide anything more than low pay service jobs; maybe they’ll sell a few more boats.
    I am pleased to see the development. However, it appears to be at the cost of the elderly and others on the west end of town. The talk is Meijer may be moving into the landing, Aldi moving to the landing. Is Al’s next?
    I have friends in IL that would love to move away, friends who would love to return, but we lack jobs that can support a family with a future, instead of just barely getting by. And surprisingly, LaPorte isn’t the cheapest place to live (in relationship to income); you also must own a car to get around. Decent and affordable housing is a problem every where. So we pin our hopes on trickle down theory, and that it will work itself out in the end.

18. chrissy

Aug 11. 2019

Lawman, your comments always draw my attention as I do value your input. Mostly I tend to agree with you. As for people from the neighborhoods affording housing at The Strand, they probably can’t and I may not either. But my husband and I keep up our house and property by working at it and I wish other people would too.
    As for more expensive housing, don’t you think any professionals (doctors, nurses, specialists) who may come to this area to work at the new hospitals may want it? I just want LaPorte to continue to be a great town to live in and yes, work in. I would like to see more jobs, too.

19. CAA

Aug 12. 2019

I’m wondering what type of stores will be in this place. Most likely will be the kind you see in airports. Expensive.

20. Joe L.

Aug 12. 2019

Chrissy–I keep up my house and my rental property, too. The problem with others, especially the slum landlords, is that they let their properties go so badly. The tenants are responsible for a lot of this as they just don’t care, but the landlords, too, could care a lot more about maintaining a nice house. All they want is the money.

21. S.B.

Aug 12. 2019

I have visited so many charming downtowns and event areas in other towns. I have always thought, “Why doesn’t LaPorte keep up with the times. So many little towns are very inviting. We could have a welcoming city, as well. But, it takes planning, resources and support.
    For those who think the development is too aggressive for LaPorte should open their minds to progress and the possibilities of new businesses coming to our area. If that is too much to handle, you have the option to relocate. LAPORTE NEEDS THIS!
    Thank you to all of the people and groups who believe LP can be better and are making it happen.

22. Epstein

Aug 13. 2019

1. If Aldi moves from it’s current location to Newporte, people can’t traverse the extra 1.8 miles for groceries? Might have bigger problems then. Time to reconsider what you’re doing.

2. Luckily for those that are certain their fair city is being ruined, they can move at will. Sell and get the fudge out.

3. Why isn’t there a Golden Corral being put up instead of apartments. Golden Corral is what we really need. Golden Corral would solve everyone’s problem, other than it may be too far for some people to traverse to eat at. Possibly there could be another Golden Corral for them, and two more in town so no one has to be asked to traverse more than 397 feet for all of their lively needs.

• Mama

Aug 15. 2019

Mr Epstein,
      I am a caregiver to the elderly. Many find the area around the landing confusing and difficult. Too much traffic, too many impatient and speeding drivers. They know their reactions are slowing down, and don’t want to have an accident. Others do not have transportation. They just want to buy food and go home.
      If we had a bus system, I guess you’d gladly throw them under it. Someday, God willing, you’ll be old too.

• matt

Aug 15. 2019

1- amen. I don’t see that many people walking their groceries home from aldi. But do agree with some- something needs to be done with the mall.

2- LaPorte people, non-LP people, I don’t care who moves into the apartments. So we might attract some quality people to move into our town? Great! A kid who gets a job out of college in westville, mc, laporte, etc. might be interested in a nice apartment. Hopefully they stay and become homeowners! At the very least, they’ll spend money at our restaurants, grocers, etc.

3- and a response to mama and lawman, I’m sorry and don’t mean to sound heartless, but in our economy and society, if businesses can move to a better location to make more money… they will! If business was booming because of the west side’s retired community I’m sure they would stay. Maybe a smaller convenience store or dollar general will move in to replace aldi.

23. lawman

Aug 13. 2019

Epstein- the west end has a large retirement community. many people enjoy the walk thru the area to go the short distance to a store. since al’s left there is not much left. since we are all not as gifted and visionary as you please bear with us. there may come a time when YOU can’t make 397 ft unassissted

24. jason

Aug 16. 2019

La porte needs a home improvement store. Home depot?