George Allesee Jr., 1922-2019

George Allesee Jr., 97, of LaPorte, IN, passed away Monday, Aug. 12, 2019, in his home surrounded by family.

George was born March 18, 1922, to George and Florence Allesee, LaPorte. He was the oldest of four siblings, Margie (deceased, age 6), Dick (deceased, July 2019), Bob (MI), and Tom (FL).  His dad, George Allesee Sr., was Physical Director at the YMCA and his mom was active at LaPorte First Baptist Church and WLOI radio station.

George enlisted as a cadet in the Army Air Corps and received his wings May 23, 1944.  Nineteen day later on June 11, he married Josephine “Jo” Pate, LaPorte. He then shipped out to Naples, Italy, where he served as a C47 Troop Carrier Pilot in World War II.  George retired from service in 1947 as a Captain, Army Air Corps.

On the GI Bill, George received his MA degree in education at Indiana University, Bloomington.  He taught history, geography,  and political science at LaPorte High School and substitute taught well into his 70s, where he was fondly referred to as “Mr. Chips.”  He also developed Intramural Basketball at LPHS as Athletic Director and was the first to introduce girls to the program. Allesee Park is named after his dad.

George and Jo had three children, George Allesee III (deceased, 1964), David and Nancy. Son, David, and wife, Shirley, live in Wisconsin.  Daughter, Nancy, and husband, John Richmond, live in California. George was blessed with two granddaughters, Sara Jo (Jon Klepp) and Maria Ann (Dwayne Sweeney), and five great-grandchildren, Paiton, Addison, Hana, Stella and Simon, with a baby girl on the way. George also had numerous nieces and nephews, who always enjoyed hearing his life stories.

George and Jo shared 67 years together until her passing Feb. 13, 2011.  They were avid IU basketball and Slicer fans.  They also loved to dance at their over 40s dance club. George loved the great outdoors and was often seen walking the streets of LaPorte tracking his distances. He would say “I’m going to walk around the world.”  Of all their wonderful experiences and memories on life’s journey, what they treasured most were faith and family. Their beautiful legacy will live on.

Special thanks to the community, agencies, friends, neighbors, and family who made his final chapter full of love, dignity and honor.

A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday, Aug. 19, at Cutler Funeral Home and Cremation Center, LaPorte, with Pastor Allen Wright officiating. Burial, with Military Honors, will follow at Pine Lake Cemetery, LaPorte. Visitation will be held from 10 a.m. until the service Monday at the funeral home.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial donations to VNA Hospice, 501 Marquette St., Valparaiso, IN 46383; or to LPHS Athletic Dept., 602 F St., LaPorte, IN 46350.

Messages of condolences may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.cutlercares.com.

18 Responses to “George Allesee Jr., 1922-2019”

1. Lynn Lisarelli

Aug 14. 2019

My sincerest sympathies to the family. Mr. Allesee was one of my teachers in junior high so many long years ago.

2. Michael Roy

Aug 14. 2019

Great and knowledgeable teacher. I will always remember that he talked about Redstone Colorado being the first experiment in socialism. I went to Redstone and researched the history and it was very interesting. I’m glad I had the fortune of being exposed to the knowledge he shared.

• Karen Long

Aug 15. 2019

I had the wonderful pleasure of getting to know George Allesee while he was substitute teaching at LaPorte High School.
      He was consistently a very kind and gracious man. If I happened to walk into the lounge while he was taking a break, he often offered me an empty seat where i could enjoy his very interesting and pleasant conversation.
      I think of George with fondness as i pass by Allesee Park, and will continue to do so. Rest easy, my friend, knowing you lived a life well-served.

3. Steve and Claudia Larry

Aug 14. 2019

Although not knowing George personally, we knew him through his son, Dave. Whenever he spoke of his father, he always had a smile on his face and pride in his voice. These are all clear indications of the love and respect he had for his dad. Through his later years, George had devoted care from from his family, now God has taken over.

• Bernadine Allesee

Aug 14. 2019

George was my brother-in-law and a favorite uncle to our children! He loved people, loved history, loved to talk, and never knew a stranger! He was generous, always willing to do his part! He loved his wife, Josephine, his family, and was always there to help his Mother when she became very ill! He loved his grandchildren and loved having them come and visit! He was proud of his country and was thrilled about his trip to Washington DC to see the memorial and get recognized for his service to his country! We have many wonderful memories of our visits, celebrations, and good times together! He will be missed and never forgotten! He was a great big brother to Tom who will miss him dearly!

4. Nicole Thode

Aug 14. 2019

My deepest sympathy to the family. Mr. Allesee was a wonderful teacher and person. I always enjoyed sitting and talking to him. He always made time to talk to people. I think he was a very kind man who the world will miss very much.

5. Patti Scalf

Aug 14. 2019

Mr. Allesee was a beloved institution in La Porte, one whose memory will live on in all of us who knew him.

6. Rory Cubel

Aug 14. 2019

Mr Allesee was a good friend of my father’s back in the day. I had him for geography class in LaPorte H.S. He was a fun teacher and I was lucky to have him . R.I.P. George.

7. Susan K Henriott Klinefelter

Aug 14. 2019

Thoughts and prayers going out to the entire Allesee Family. I don’t know if you remember me Nancy but I lived over on Ridge St. way back when and hung around Jo Switzer, Sam Smith, Urbans, and others that I can’t remember names!!!! Always loved your father and I wish I could remember the pet name he gave me. Such a gentle and kind soul. Again, so very sorry for your loss. Sue Klinefelter

8. john zakes

Aug 14. 2019

the passing of a great man from a great generation. God bless.

9. Sam Smith Stroud

Aug 14. 2019

George was an interesting person who will have a special place in heaven. He will be missed by the family and friends..

10. Rich and Linda

Aug 15. 2019

So sorry to hear the sad news. We send our love and prayers you and your family
    Rich and Linda

11. Loring Ross

Aug 15. 2019

George Allesee was THE example of a man from the greatest generation. I loved to get his perspective and wisdom of life during those few visits we had at his sons’s home in Wisconsin. I wish there could have been more. Love to the Allesee family.
    Loring and Young

12. Lisa Cochran

Aug 15. 2019

Most definitely a sad day for LaPorte to say good bye to such a great man. He is now with the love of his life. I hope he knows how many lives he has touched and how many people he has inspired! RIP Mr. Allesee, you will be missed!!

13. Alex B Allesee

Aug 15. 2019

Uncle George was one of the best guys I have ever known. I have always enjoyed spending time with him. He was my great uncle. In many ways though, he was like an extra grandpa. He used to come to my sporting events, occasionally we would go to church together, uses to ride bikes to his house as a kid to get icecream bars, and on and on. Most of my knowledge of the history of the Allesee (Allesø) family came from him. He was one of those people that you just felt like would be around forever. I will miss him.

14. Deb Hunter

Aug 16. 2019

Thanks to George for his dedicated service to the students and teachers of LaPorte, from the LPHS English Department.

15. Brian L Graham

Aug 16. 2019

He touched so many lives while at LPHS. I remember him from Harrison St. Rest well, Mr. A.

16. Daryl Oran

Aug 17. 2019

“Mr. Allesse” , as we always referred him as …class of’66 was as gentle of a man I have ever met. Strong but soft, sincere with a whimsical twinkle in his eye..Last saw him at my 50th reunion 3 years ago. We carried his love for humanity, his grief for our fellow class mate, George, and admired his stedfast and beautiful sense of commitment to all that he loved. The world is clearly more empty without his heartbeat.