Ronald White, 1946-2019

Ronald Allen White, 72, formerly of La Porte, IN, and currently of Indianapolis, IN, and Naples, FL, passed away at home with his family on Nov. 2, 2019.

He was born in La Porte on Dec. 23, 1946, to Willis and Beatrice (Wilcox) White.  He was the youngest of 7 children: Gerald (Arvilla), Richard, Larry (Dorothy) and Anita Philips. Preceded in death by his sister Carrol Wiggins and brother Darcey (LuAnn).

Ron graduated from New Prairie High School and from Ball State University with a Master’s in Education. Ron first taught and coached at New Prairie, and then for the La Porte Community School Corporation for 35 years. He was a member of the La Porte Elks as well as Theta Xi Fraternity. He was also a past President of the La Porte County Homebuilders Association. Ron was an avid golfer, woodworker, artist and home builder.

Ron’s sparkling blue eyes and sense of humor will be missed by everyone who knew and loved him. His love of family and playing card games knew no bounds.

Ron is survived by his wife of 49 years, Linda (Rosenau); daughters, Kember (Chris) Martin of Indianapolis, Tera (Sameer) Varde of Bloomfield Hills, MI, Lindsey (Beau) Kerley of Georgetown, IN, and son Brandon (Lyla) White of Brooktondale, NY; and 7 grandchildren, Kaelin and Garrett Martin, Rosemary White, Taj and Tre Varde, and Finn and Shealee Kerley.

Visitation will be Sunday, Nov. 24, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with a Celebration of Life beginning at 1 p.m. at G.H. Herrmann Funeral Home, 5141 Madison Ave., Indianapolis.

Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to the Dementia Society of America @ dementiasociety.org.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP.

21 Responses to “Ronald White, 1946-2019”

1. Steve Holifield

Nov 06. 2019

Sad to hear this. Mr. White was my woodworking teacher in school. He was “old school” when he taught . He was concerned about safety first in class and had the respect of his students , but at the same time he made us laugh while we were learning. Rest in Peace sir.

2. Debe Meyer

Nov 06. 2019

Linda, I am so very sorry. My prayers are with you.

3. Glenna sunn

Nov 06. 2019

Larry and Dorothy , so sorry for your loss.

• Name (required)

Nov 06. 2019

so sorry to hear this mr. White was one of my favorite teachers

4. B. Liverman

Nov 06. 2019

Sad to hear. He was one of my favorite teachers. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

• Deb Hunter

Nov 07. 2019

Thanks to Ron for his decades of service to the students and teachers of LaPorte. Most sincere condolences to Linda and the family.

5. Dale B. Lain

Nov 06. 2019

I grew up with Ron. First met him when we were 9. The White, Winters, and Miller boys played Fail Road cow-pasture baseball in those days. Ron and I were the two youngest. One day Ron was in Center and I was in Right field. Suddenly the batter hit a line-drive that flew into Ron’s glove. The funny thing was it happened so fast he did not know he caught it–a one in a million catch. The years have flown by much like the ball Ron caught. He was a winner–one in a million.

6. Kevin Nicholson

Nov 06. 2019

Mr White was my wood shop teacher along with Building Trades, he was always one of my favorite teachers and is the reason I own a Drywall&Painting for the past 30 years. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

7. Sandra Olson

Nov 07. 2019

Linda, we are so sorry to hear of your loss. We extend condolences to you and your family.

8. Randy McGriff

Nov 07. 2019

Linda and family, we are so sorry for your loss. Had a lot of good times as Ron’s colleague at LPHS. It is obvious the impact Ron had on his students. Nancy and I are sending our thoughts and prayers.

9. Gerry Laskoski

Nov 07. 2019

RON THE ROLLING PRAIRIE HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1965 WILL MISS YOU

10. Linda Nulf-Schuck

Nov 07. 2019

Dear Linda and family, so sorry to hear of Ron’s passing. You have my deepest sympathies. I always enjoyed talking with Ron at school. He was a well liked teacher, and was a kind and compassionate man. RIP Ron….

11. Bill Gangwer

Nov 07. 2019

I can only go back as far as 1977 when I first started my tenure with lpcs. We taught at Boston , then the HS, progressive parties faculty get togethers, golf outings/leagues, senior golf on Tuesday and Thursday summer mornings, Drivers ED. I have some tremendous memories with Ron’s family that will last forever. To Linda and the kids my deepest sympathies…..To Ron, rest in peace my friend!!

12. Gerry Laskoski

Nov 07. 2019

RON THE ROLLING PRAIRIE HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1965 WILL MISS YOU

13. Carol Schultz

Nov 07. 2019

Dear Linda and family,

So sorry to see this this on FB. Ron was a very nice guy and will be greatly missed.

14. Mike mcDermott

Nov 11. 2019

So sorry to hear of Ron’s passing. one of my favorite teachers who was a man of humor and grace. He taught us to work hard and not take life so seriously. I appreciate all your families effort into our communities efforts to teach us to be thinkers, more kind, and better servants to each other. We were blessed by both of you. Prayers for your family.

15. Pam Deardurff Hodges

Nov 11. 2019

Linda and family so sorry to hear this news. Many fond memories of you as both teacher and neighbor. Sending healing thoughts to all your family

16. Mark Tarnow

Nov 12. 2019

So sorry at hear of Mr. White’s passing. Being his student at Kesling Jr. High was a pivotal time in my life where I began my love of working with my hands, and exercising my creative spirit. I am sure that I am not alone in being grateful for his service to many of us Jr. High Hoodlums who learn better by doing than by sitting in lectures, taking notes. One of the pieces of furniture I built in 1974, a cabinet of sorts, just made it back to my house as a result of my Dad’s passing last year. It’s a great reminder of Mr. White! Condolences all around to the family, especially Mrs. White, who was my Spanish teacher, at the high school Adult Education program.

17. Jan Yandt

Nov 12. 2019

Thinking of your family!
    He was a great man!
    Prayers!🙏

18. Jim Martin

Nov 14. 2019

At RPHS I remember in Mr. Gary’s class (11th grade?) after hearing Mr Gary go on and on about Greek Philosophers, Ron suddenly let go with an outburst heard throughout the classroom, “why do we have to learn this crap?!?!” We were all taken aback, figuring Mr. Gary would lay into him for uttering this mild expletive. Mr. Gary continued as if he heard nothing. Later in life I learned Ron had gone into teaching and I grinned.

19. MARY KLASSEN

Nov 18. 2019

Linda, So sorry to hear that Ron passed away. I will remember all of you in my prayers.