Marvin Nixon, 1947-2019

Marvin Larry Nixon, 72, of La Porte, IN, passed away Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2019, at his home.

He was born May 7, 1947, in La Porte, the son of Raymond Nixon and Viola Eleanor (Rush) Nixon.

Marvin was a member of the American Legion in Wanatah, IN. He enjoyed fishing, bowling, softball, throwing horseshoes, and just being in the great outdoors. He really loved spending time at his cabin on the Tippecanoe River, spending most summers there. Marvin also liked watching NASCAR legendary No. 3 Dale Earnhardt Sr. Marvin joined the Army in 1966 and was enlisted for two years. He was employed at Berkel for 36 years. Once Berkel closed, Marvin enjoyed truck driving.

He is survived by his son, Kenneth (April) Nixon of Westville, IN; daughter, Jennifer Williamson of La Porte; brother, Ray (Debbie) Nixon of La Porte; sister, Barbara (Bob) Scalf of Three Oaks, MI; four grandchildren, Patricia (Scott) Kinsey, Amber Williamson, Braden Nixon and Kyliegh Nixon; and five great-grandchildren, Hannah, Ameilya, Liam, Maximus and Violet.

Marvin and Sandra got married Sept. 14, 1968, and he is survived by Sandra.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Wayne Nixon.

The family will receive friends at Haverstock Funeral Home, La Porte, on Monday, Dec. 2, from 5 to 7 p.m. Military Honors will be presented at 7 p.m., followed by family reflections.

Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 22478, Oklahoma City, OK 73123, and to your local Veterans Administration.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.haverstockfuneralhome.com.

10 Responses to “Marvin Nixon, 1947-2019”

1. Joan Hensell

Nov 30. 2019

So sorry Sandy. My prayers are with you and your family.

2. Robert Hough

Nov 30. 2019

I met Marvin when I was 4 yrs old. I learned a lot from him. How to ride a bike, (especially no hands), how bait a fish hook, catch a pop up and how to smoke a cigarette. Even though I had not been the friend I should have been these last few years, he remained in my heart as a friend. Rest in peace Marv.

3. Virginia Lancaster

Nov 30. 2019

So sorry to hear that Marvin has passed away. My thought and prayers are with Sandy snd their children and grandchildren. May he rest in peace. Love, Gina.

• Cathie

Nov 30. 2019

I will so miss the Hello CathiePooh greeting everytime I saw him..So many fun times at bowling..Grateful for all his wisdom and laughter over the years..I’ll miss you.. Thanks for being YOU…

4. BETTY (SNYDER) HABDAS

Nov 30. 2019

Patty, I’m so sorry to read of you Grandpas passing. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!

5. Kathy Rice Tulacz

Dec 01. 2019

Sandy, so sorry to read about Marv. I remember his smile at the Credit Union dances, he always had a hello for everyone and took time to always say a few words. Treasure your fifty years of memories with him. God bless the Nixon family.
    Your friend from Ridge Street in the hood, Kathy

6. Dave Jablonski

Dec 01. 2019

RIP Marvin. You will be missed.

• Theresa Bernacki

Dec 02. 2019

Sandy, so sorry for your loss, always made a point to stop in my office, just to say hello.

7. Terry Olsen

Dec 02. 2019

So sorry to hear of this Sandy. Thoughts and prayers.

8. Miles Poteet

Dec 03. 2019

Sandy, my condolences. I was neighbor to the Nixon family and remember many summertime nights in the early 60′ s playing flashtag with Marvin & the gang.. Marvin was so caring …he kept an eye on us younger kids