Shirley A. Doms, 1936-2020

Shirley A. Doms, 83, of Mill Creek, Ind. passed away Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at Millers Merry Manor in New Carlisle, Ind.

She was born Dec. 22, 1936 in Mill Creek to Guy and Eva Miller Olson.

Shirley was a member of the Sauktown Church of Christ, the treasurer for the Sauktown cemetery, and an active member of the Lion’s Club of Fish Lake, Ind.  She enjoyed knitting and collecting Longaberger baskets; she was proud to be a breast cancer survivor.

Shirley married Camille Doms.

Shirley is survived by her nephew, Steven A. Olson of Three Oaks, Mich. and two nieces, Eva Marie Olson of Mill Creek and Margaret Ann Peters of Walkerton, Ind.

She was preceded in death by her husband; parents; daughter, Patricia Ann Schmidtkuntz; and two  brothers, Melvin and Roland Olson.

Cremation has taken place. A memorial service and burial of cremated remains will take place at a later date at the Sauktown Cemetery, Mill Creek.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions in Shirley’s name may be made to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, 28 West 44th St., Suite 609, New York, N.Y. 10036 or online at give.bcrf.com.

Haverstock Funeral Home and Cremation Services, 602 Maple Ave., La Porte, Ind. is handling the arrangements.

10 Responses to “Shirley A. Doms, 1936-2020”

1. Mary Jo Barney

Jun 04. 2020

SO very sorry to hear I remember her at the Olson Family reunions at Fox Park & family weddings

2. Dot and Dave Decker

Jun 04. 2020

So Sorry to hear about Shirley passing.

3. Laureen James

Jun 04. 2020

So sad to see this, Shirley was a great person,very kind and caring.

• Sharon Gurbatow

Jun 05. 2020

Shirley was a wonderful lady, I helped her Longaberger Basket collection as she purchased them from me. May she RIP.

4. Nancy Olson

Jun 05. 2020

When we were younger we shared many family events and for some time as grown ups maintained contact. She will be greatly missed.

5. Barbara Parker

Jun 05. 2020

I am sorry to Shirley’s family for their loss. Shirley will be greatly missed by many, especially me. She was a great person. We had a lot of fun together. We belonged to Gleaners and Purdue Home Makers Club, together. Shirley was caring, generous, giving of herself, the best cook and great asset to our community. Until we meet again, my friend.

6. Carolyn A. Hunt

Jun 05. 2020

Shirley,
    We have shared many hours of friendship. Our fathers were good friends and your grandparents became our grandparents.
    We shared time working at Gleaner events, Lions fund raising efforts, preparing their Treasurer reports, cheering at ND women basketball games, your baking and cooking, and official cemetery business for Oak Grove and Sauktown.
    We thank you for all of these memories. May you RIP.
    Love, Carolyn Hunt & Marolyn Klockow

7. Debbie Weisenberger

Jun 05. 2020

To EvaMarie and Marge ,I’m so sorry for ur loss of Your Aunt Shirley . She was My 4-h leader for years and then her and I became good friends. She was a Wonderful Lady . She was always there to lend a hand. I’m going to miss her . She also got to see My kids grow up . You are Both in My thoughts and prayers. She’s was more than a Aunt too U both . She’s a Angel and she’s fliying high over you both. Rest In Peace Shirley . Friends always cousins forever love Deb ..

8. Sandra Provan

Jun 06. 2020

So sorry to hear about Shirley. She was a wonderful Lion.

9. Renee Overmyer

Jun 08. 2020

So very sorry to learn of Shirley’s passing. She had a heart of gold. My deepest condolences to her family and friends.