Theodora “Teddy” Elizabeth Lau, 1927-2020

Theodora “Teddy” Elizabeth Lau, 92, of New Carlisle, Ind. passed away peacefully at 8:10 p.m. Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at Hamilton Grove, New Carlisle, Ind.

She was born June 25, 1927 in Porter, Ind. to Theodore Amos and Elizabeth (Kinder) Hires.

Teddy was known for her baking and sewing. Her cookie jar was always full and her homemade comforters will always be warm. She was Mom, Ma and Grandma to so many more than just her family. She was blessed with many, many “kids” over the years and will truly be missed.

On Dec. 26, 1945 in Steger, Ill. she married Everett “Bud” Frances Lau, who preceded her in death.

Also preceding her in death were her parents, Theodore Hires and Elizabeth Spencer; sister, Harriet Nafziger; and son-in-law, Chuck Dawson.

Surviving are her six children, Bonnie (Terry) Collatz of Bernalillo, N.M., Kenneth (Karen) Lau of Hudson Lake, Donald (Chris) Lau, Nora Dawson and Philanese Granacki, all of Hudson Lake, and Everett (Linda) Lau Jr. of La Porte, Ind.; one sister, Maybelle Hoff of Mountain View, Mo.; two brothers, Bill (Caroline) Hires of Columbia, Mo. and Bob (Mildred) Hires of Whitehouse, Ohio; sister-in-law, Dollie Snow of Alsip, Ill.; 17 grandchildren; 26 great-grandchildren; six great-great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.

Cremation will take place. Burial will be in New Carlisle Cemetery at a later date.

Memorial contributions may be directed to the American Kidney Fund, 11921 Rockville Pike, Suite 300, Rockville, Md. 20852, and/or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society at 954 W. Washington Blvd Suite 305, Chicago, Ill. 60607.

Lakeview Funeral Home & Crematory, 247 W. Johnson Rd., La Porte, (219) 362-3100 is handling the arrangements.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.LakeviewFHC.com.

13 Responses to “Theodora “Teddy” Elizabeth Lau, 1927-2020”

1. Sherry Carney

Jun 26. 2020

Thank you Aunt Teddy for your love and many hugs, for your kindness and homemade gifts. Also for making everyone feel special. You will be missed but never forgotten. My sympathies and love and prayers to all my cousins.

2. Donna Scott

Jun 26. 2020

Thinking of you Nora❤❤

• Jim & Joyce Yech

Jun 26. 2020

Aunt Teddy was a one of a kind lady who had soft heart, gentle smile, open arms, and a beautiful soul. No matter who you were you could feel her love. She will be missed more than she would ever know. We were blessed to have her as family.

3. LeeAnn Hilligoss

Jun 26. 2020

My thoughts and prayers are with you Phil and your entire family.

4. Chuck & Sheila Neuman

Jun 26. 2020

So sorry Kenny, Don & Nora. Your mom was a beautiful, wonderful lady. God bless her & all of you & the rest of your family.

• Patti and Chuck Gries

Jun 26. 2020

Thank you Aunt Teddy for the wonderful memories of love growing up with you and Uncle Bud there are so many great times we had staying at your home with my cousins as well. You always made me feel at home and I loved picking blueberries and going to auctions with you as well as just spending time together. You were so crafty and so loving. I will miss you but now you are with your love of your life and I pray you suffer no more and are at peace with God and Uncle Bud . My heart felt sympathy to my cousins I pray for your peace and grace and know she is with you always in your heart. She was a beautiful woman with so much love so grateful to have had her as my Aunt. She will be missed and Loved always. Love to my cousins ❤️

• Traci Suchocki/Hires

Jun 26. 2020

Aunt Teddy you will be missed. Love you so much. My prayers are with all friends and family. God gained an Angel 😇.

• Terry Hoff

Jun 27. 2020

Aunt Teddy,

Fond memories of you and your families’ visits to Missouri. Fun on the farm. You will be missed. Thoughts and prayers to cousins and families.

Jun 27. 2020

• Judy Comeno

Jun 29. 2020

I loved working with Teddy at Hamilton Grove. She was such a loving person. RIP my friend!

5. Jamie

Jun 26. 2020

You’ll be missed grandma. Love you and grandpa forever and always!

6. Gerri Walczak

Jun 28. 2020

Thinking of you and your family at this time. Hugs from the Walczak