Moments in time … in photographs

 

Lover’s Lane at Fox Park, La Porte, is depicted in this postcard from 1915. Dedicated on June 26, 1913, the Fox Park property was donated in memory of Samuel and Fannie Fox by their sons. Some 10,000 people attended the dedication of the 20-acre park, which cost nearly $85,000 to develop. It originally included a 90-by-40-foot neo-Grecian pavilion (torn down in the mid-1960s), an octagonal band shell, tennis lawns, baseball diamonds, and cages with monkeys and two bears. Fox Park also included a beautiful rose garden containing 1,200 plants with 40 varieties of roses.

 

Mail carriers, one on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, in front of the Rolling Prairie post office, circa 1908. If you know the identity of any individuals in this photo, please contact the La Porte County Historical Society at (219) 324-6767.

 

A 1939 Droege-Blankschein advertising postcard features Stetson Air-Light Hats. Droege-Blankschein was “La Porte’s Smartest Clothes Shop” and was located at 822 Lincoln Way.

Photographs courtesy of the La Porte County Historical Society Museum, 2405 Indiana Ave., La Porte. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. For more information, visit https://laportecountyhistory.org/ or call 219-324-6767.

”History is who we are and why we are the way we are.” — David McCullough

 

No comments.

Leave a Reply