Tommy Sornson, 1946-2021

Tommy Lynn Sornson, 74, of La Porte, Ind., passed away Saturday, Jan. 9, 2021, at Northwest Health – La Porte.

He was born Sept. 18, 1946, in Newport, Ark., the son of John Eli Sornson and Alice (Bailey) Sornson.

Tommy was an active member of American Legion Hamon Gray Post 83, La Porte. He served his country in the Army from 1966-1968. Known as “Tommy Baseball” to many, he excelled first in baseball, then softball. In 2013, he was inducted into the National Softball Hall of Fame, and in 2015, he was a member of the 65-and-over World Championship team. He bowled on multiple league teams, achieving the elusive, perfect 300. Everyone knew not to bet too much when he had a hot night at poker.

Aside from his love of sports, Tommy also loved gardening. Those who knew him also knew never to take a bite of a pepper that he claimed “wasn’t hot at all.”  His family and friends will miss the tomatoes, squash, peppers and cucumbers every summer. Most of all, they will miss his infectious smile and positive attitude toward life’s challenges.

He is survived by his daughter, Dawn (Teresa) Cribelar-Sornson of Indianapolis, Ind.; his sister, Diana (Don) Rogowski of La Porte; and his mother, Alice Sornson. His 25 nieces and nephews will also miss him immensely.

Tommy was preceded in death by his father.

The family will receive friends Wednesday, Jan. 13, from 4 to 7 p.m. at Haverstock Funeral Home and Cremation Services, La Porte. A life celebration will be held at the funeral home Thursday, Jan. 14, at 3 p.m. with Dan McDonald officiating. Cremation has taken place.

Due to COVID-19, masks are required for those attending the service.

Memorial contributions may be made to the La Porte Park and Recreation Department to continue the strong tradition of baseball and softball in the city, or to American Legion Post 83, both c/o Haverstock Funeral Home, 602 Maple Ave., La Porte, Ind. 46350,

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.haverstockfuneralhome.com.

12 Responses to “Tommy Sornson, 1946-2021”

1. Roger Lilly

Jan 12. 2021

I grew up in the same neighborhood and after service got a job at National Can on fail road, and who do you think I ran into my friend Tom. I saw him this last summer at Artchies Restraint and had a great talk, I will miss him so very much. Prayers to the family during this very hard time, heaven has a new angel.

2. Pam salo

Jan 12. 2021

Sorry to hear about Tommy thinking about you praying for your family

• Rick Morris

Jan 12. 2021

Getting this news took a piece of my heart. I loved hanging around Tommy he was so cool to talk to. His knowledge of softball was unmatched by anyone I knew. His goofing around made me laugh all the time , until he put rubbed Habanero pepper on the top of my beer. Hehe. Tommy and I would golf and I wouldn’t want the round to end because of how fun he made playing it. The laughs we had during the round was awesome. All this is taken away now.
      Tommy from heaven until we meet again. You will definitely be missed by many. Love you RIP my great friend.
      This took half of box of tissues.

3. Chip ONeil

Jan 12. 2021

It was my great pleasure to know Tommy and play baseball for the LaPorte Sportsmen with him. There wasn’t a position he couldn’t play. Wherever needed he did it and he did it Pete Rose style. He was super competitive but always with an infectious smile. He took us young pups just out of high school and showed us the ropes. I truly value those Sportsmen days with him and all our teamates. May you rest in peace, Tommy. Amen.

4. WWJD

Jan 13. 2021

RIP

5. Zane and Kim Wade

Jan 13. 2021

Diana and family our thoughts and prayers for you all . Our community is going to be missing a great guy, Tommy always had a smile on. He didn’t go half assed at anything he did, he went out to win at everything. It was a pleasure to know you big guy. Rest In Peace.

6. Charlie Maslankowski

Jan 13. 2021

Tommy was an amazing ball player who did everything full bore, including the fun side of sports. So full of positive energy along with natural humbleness and that contagious smile. RIP “Tommy Hustle”!

• Bill & Marla Lange

Jan 14. 2021

Tommy made so many people want to play softball as long and as well as he did. He was as wonderful a person as he was a player. He will leave a huge void in so many lives!

7. Mike and Pam Higley

Jan 13. 2021

RIP old friend, I was a team mate of Tommy’s from high school to adult softball on the OJ’S Not only a great guy but one hell of a ballplayer! Tommy will be missed.
    Mike

8. Randy Wiesner

Jan 13. 2021

RIP friend. Diana and your family prayers and thoughts are with you. Tommy was a great ballplayer, but he was a better person. He will be missed.

9. Scotty Ford

Jan 13. 2021

Tommy played baseball for my dad (Pete Ford) . I watched him play for the Sportsman for many years growing up. My dad always said that Tommy was one of the best ball players he ever coached. I remember Tommy making some incredible player at short. He was a gamer who wanted to play everyday. I’ll miss him!

10. Bob Braden

Jan 13. 2021

Grew up with Tommy in the Terrace, we were born in the same little town in Arkansas. Tommy was always at the ball diamond when we were kids.We had mutual relatives,the Bailey’s, but could never figure out how we were related. We use to joke about that all the time. Rest in peace Tommy