UPDATE: State vaccine registration site is reportedly working now

UPDATE SATURDAY:

La Porte County Commissioner Joe Haney reported Saturday that problems with the state ourshot.in.gov website are resolved. That means people who have been having trouble scheduling appointments to receive their COVID-19 vaccinations should be able to do so without long delays.

Haney stated on his Facebook page: “OurShot.in.gov has resolved their technical issues and is up and running for La Porte County right now. Appointment dates are currently open from Feb. 13 forward!”

Haney had explained on Friday: “There will be more appointments opening for the end of January and thousands for February. Simply put, no appointment is being made without a corresponding dose being ‘in the pipeline.’ … The state is sending us an additional allocation of 100 doses for next week, so there will even be new slots opening for the end of next week.”
Also, besides the county site at the fairgrounds in La Porte and Franciscan Health in Michigan City, Healthlinc clinic in La Porte will begin giving the shots. Friday’s announcement from Healthlinc:

“Starting Monday, Jan. 18, HealthLinc will have COVID-19 vaccines available for individuals 70 years and older, healthcare workers and first responders. LIMITED APPOINTMENTS are available. Please call 888-580-1060 to schedule your appointment today.”

Healthlinc is located at 400 Teegarden St., La Porte, in Founders Square off State Street.

More information on the vaccination availability is below in earlier updates.

———

UPDATE THURSDAY:

WNLP gleaned a bit of updated information from a county commissioner’s Facebook page. In a video interview with Commissioner Joe Haney, health department Covid Vaccine Clinic Site Manager and Public Information Officer Peggy Rose stated that kinks are still being worked out with the state’s ourshot.in.gov site but might be resolved by the end of the day. Haney added that the site problem was originally statewide but is now affecting only certain counties and they are being addressed.

Rose also gave this explanation about appointment availability on the site: “The State of Indiana receives a certain allotment of vaccine on a weekly basis and based on the amount of doses we receive, the state then builds out the registration site that coordinates with the amount of dosages that we receive.”

The vaccine clinic site at the La Porte County Fairgrounds’ Community Building is operating for those who have been able to make appointments for that site. Rose said that as of Jan. 25, the fairgrounds clinic’s hours will be 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays. You must make an appointment; walk-ins cannot be accommodated.

UPDATE WEDNESDAY:

While the La Porte County Health Department hasn’t released an official statement about it, a reported problem with the state scheduling website is preventing many eligible La Porte County residents from scheduling appointments to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

Other than responding to a few people on its Facebook page, the health department – which is in charge of organizing and releasing instructions, details and a public site for the vaccines – hasn’t publicly explained the state website problem and when it might be resolved.

The department’s Facebook response Wednesday to one citizen’s complaint: “Please be patient with the website to sign up. They are working hard to get it straightened out and hopefully you will be able to get back in and make appointments for next month.”

The only other information that has reportedly come from the health department has come through a few other local organizations and officials. The Healthcare Foundation of La Porte issued this message on its Facebook page Wednesday: “The vaccine portal for the La Porte County Fairgrounds is not currently live. Please be patient and allow time for the portal to be made accessible and appointments to become available.”

There was no answer at the health department phone extension Wednesday afternoon.

The health department has instructed citizens eligible so far (those 70 and above, medical personnel, first responders and assisted-living facility residents) to schedule an appointment by going to state website ourshot.in.gov, then click on “Click here to find a vaccination site and register.” But if people get that far, the site often reports there are no appointments available.

WNLP will post updates as more information is available.

———-

Original story Wednesday:

Hoosiers in their 70s have now been added to the groups of people eligible to schedule appointments to get the COVID-19 vaccination, according to state officials.

The 70s age group is the latest to be added to the others, which include those 80 and above, assisted-living facility residents, medical personnel and first responders.

To schedule an appointment, go to state website ourshot.in.gov, which also has information about vaccination sites. Then click on Click here to find a vaccination site and register. Call 2-1-1 if you need help registering.

In La Porte County, the main vaccination site is at the La Porte County Fairgrounds’ Community Building. You must make an appointment; you cannot just show up at the facility and get your shot.

26 Responses to “UPDATE: State vaccine registration site is reportedly working now”

1. Linda

Jan 13. 2021

How far out are they scheduling the appointments? I clicked all the way into June, and still no appointments available.

• Ray

Jan 14. 2021

The Laporte Site screwed us too. We finally got a decent time in Plymouth.

2. Jerry Lyman

My wife & myself are over 70. I need conformation & time for Covid vaccine

3. Nam Vet

Jan 13. 2021

I have visited this website to schedule an appointment on 5 different occasions and have gotten the same results. I have checked every date until June and I keep getting the same answer….CHOOSE ANOTHER DATE NO APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE. This just bolsters my view of government in general….not matter if it is Federal, State or Local government it will be screwed up and a fiasco. My advise is to not waste your time and efforts on this worthless website and hold out until the local pharmacies and the hospitals are allowed to administer the vaccine. Stay healthy and practice the safety measures necessary!

• Karen

Jan 13. 2021

After 4 hours on the phone and another hour in between on the computer, LaPorte, Porter and Starke counties are full. My last phone call confirmed these are full. But we did get appointments in South Bend for this month!

• Diane

Jan 13. 2021

My Mom is 94 and we are trying to get her scheduled for this shot at the LaPorte Fairgrounds. I understand the site to schedule is having problems, is there a number to call to schedule her Covid shot. My husband tried to get through for over three hours the other day to no avail. We are in our 60’s, and I heard from her doctor today that they are now scheduling individuals in their 70’s. Please help.

• Carol

Jan 14. 2021

I also had trouble with the site. I was able to get an appointment in South Bend for the 25th. I think there are still openings there.

• Another Nam Vet

Jan 13. 2021

Try a neighboring county. I was successful in Marshall County. Good luck if you don’t mind driving. Airborne!

4. Kevin

Jan 13. 2021

Has anyone been successful in scheduling an appointment from the website? It’s stuck at Select a time for your appointment.

5. Diane

Jan 13. 2021

I also have tried to get an appointment as far as into May with response of ‘choose another date’

6. lawman

Jan 13. 2021

i got an appt in plymouth for feb 2 there were still alot available at 5pm wed. some in south bend too. yes-you have to punch in each day separately. seems to me a button to show ANY availables would help the process.

7. BJH

Jan 13. 2021

In 2 days I spent 6 hours trying to get into the website. Not happy.

The fairground is a good choice to administer the vaccination. Now it’s time to make up for lost time and get more slots in La Porte asap.

8. Judy B. R.

Jan 13. 2021

9 p.m. Wednesday – I was able to get an appointment for mid-February, in South Bend. For that location, that was the first available.

9. LSG

Jan 13. 2021

I spent 5 hours on the phone and computer the other day to get an appointment scheduled. Finally got one!!

10. That 70s Friend

Jan 13. 2021

Call 211. I called today and the recording said the wait would be greater than 60 minutes, but I got a live person after only 10 minutes. I have an appointment the 2nd week of February at Franciscan. Very easy.

11. Rockit

Jan 14. 2021

This entire situation and the hysteria surrounding it is comical.

• Lydia

Jan 14. 2021

I had no issue setting up an appointment for my mom last night online. Local appointments were taken but i was able to set it up in South Bend for Feb 16th. Yes appointments are filling up fast. This is a good problem we are seeing! I’m happy to help anyone that needs assistance making an appointment.

12. Jill

Jan 14. 2021

I signed up mid-afternoon and got an appt in South Bend for January 19th – next Tuesday

13. Chuka

Jan 14. 2021

Just registered 6:32 a.m., LP and MC appts all full. Able to get appt end of Jan in Valpo! Took 4 minutes to register, computers up and running!!

14. Jean

Jan 14. 2021

I went to the website. There they showed vaccine places.. at first I clicked on fairgrounds site and I got nowhere! Then I tried again and on the map of Indiana I clicked on Franciscon Alliance in mc. No problem after that. It just took a few minutes.

• Jean

Jan 14. 2021

Of course… this was yesterday around noon, they may be full by now. They were going fast yesterday

15. John

Jan 14. 2021

I went all the way through to the very last day of the year, but NO appointments were available. This is ridiculous. Why have a sign-up website if it isn’t going to be working right?

16. amy leonard

Jan 14. 2021

I am trying to schedule my mom an appointment and it is not working as well.

17. Sharon

Jan 17. 2021

I have tried since Friday and didn’t get through except if I wanted to get the second dose! I even tried this Sunday!

18. Brad