John Adams, 1947-2021

John William Adams, 73, of La Porte, Ind., passed away Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021, at his home.

He was born in South Bend, Ind., on July 28, 1947, to Herman and Lois (Palmer) Adams.

After graduating from the Indiana University School of Education with a Master of Science degree, John devoted his career to the education of children as a teacher, principal and administrator.  During his tenure at Lincoln, Mill Creek, Kingsford Heights, Kesling and Indian Trail schools and finally the Central Office, John built enduring relationships with teachers, parents and students. John retired from the La Porte Community School Corporation as an assistant superintendent after a career lasting 36 years.

John’s love of trains was lifelong and he was an avid model railroader. He thoroughly enjoyed home improvement projects and was sure to pass down his knowledge, just as his father had before him. He was a devoted father and husband who made it a priority to spend time with his sons coaching baseball, attending academic competitions, and complaining about another lackluster Cubs season.

In retirement, John again found himself helping others, this time with their home improvement projects by working part time at the local hardware store. He was a member of the La Porte Yacht Club and enjoyed spending afternoons with his sister, Sandy, and her family on Pine Lake. John enjoyed watching “Dirty Jobs” and “The Big Bang Theory” and will be remembered for his laughter and smile.

On June 8, 1974, in La Porte, he married Marlene Joyce Guernsey, who preceded him in death on March 28, 2014.

He was also preceded in death by his parents and sister, Susan Adams.

Surviving are his sons, Warren “J.R.” Shrader of South Bend and Michael Adams of Indianapolis; four grandchildren, Joseph and Isaac Shrader (Laura Shrader) and Graham and Delaney Adams (Whitney Adams); sister, Sandy Scott of La Porte; and niece, Toni Baldwin-Dufour of Steinhatchee, Fla.

Cremation has taken place with Cutler Funeral Home and Cremation Center, La Porte. A private graveside service for family and close friends will be held at Pine Lake Cemetery, La Porte.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be directed to the La Porte County Small Animal Shelter, 2855 W. Ind. 2, La Porte, Ind. 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below on WNLP as well as at www.cutlercares.com.

13 Responses to “John Adams, 1947-2021”

1. Cati Ault

Jan 18. 2021

Very sorry to see this. He was a great guy to work with and he really enjoyed working with the students.

2. Lynn E Johnson

Jan 18. 2021

I will always treasure my years at Indian Trail. When the new school was built, John blended the staffs of Mill Creek and Stillwell into one close knit group. Some of us are still close friends. Indian Trail was such a wonderful, nurturing learning environment with John as our leader. On a personal note, John was a guide and mentor to me as I became a school administrator. I learned so much from him about leading with integrity. His words to me when I first became a principal, “always do what’s best for kids” are words I lived by. You made a difference to many, John…what a legacy!

• Donna and Scott Holloway

Jan 22. 2021

So sorry to hear about John. Now he is with Dolly. We were neighbors for years. My prayers and thoughts are with Warren and Mike and your families. GOD BLESS.

3. Kim Marshman

Jan 18. 2021

Rest in Peace Mr. Adams! I enjoyed you when you were my 6th grade teacher and my kids adored you as their principal at Indian Trail! You were a great person!

4. Carolyn Johnson

Jan 18. 2021

I knew within weeks when I became his 4th grade teacher (Jan, 1957?) at Hailmann School that he was special. I was not surprised to see him progress in his professional career. Too soon gone.

5. Deb Hunter

Jan 18. 2021

Thanks to John for his decades of service to the students and teachers of the LPCSC.

6. Jill Kitowski

Jan 19. 2021

Sandy, So very sorry to learn of John’s passing. He and Marlene were great neighbors when I lived in Westwood. May God hold you close as you mourn and yet celebrate your brother’s life.

7. Karen Stroh

Jan 19. 2021

So sorry for your loss….sending our love and prayers to the family.
    John was a great guy to work with and a friend!!!!
    KAREN & JACK STROH

8. Sharon Shilt

Jan 19. 2021

So sorry to hear of John’s passing. I worked with him at Westville Elementary. He was a great educator and most importantly, a kind man. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

9. Tracey Morton

Jan 20. 2021

My condolences to his family. I met Mr. Adams when I was in first grade at Westville Elementary. My family moved to Kingsford Heights and I attended KH Elementary and Mr. Adams followed a couple of years later. When I went to Kesling for 7th grade, he came along. It was at that point I asked him if he was following me 🙂

10. Dave Randall

Jan 20. 2021

A man of integrity. A man of courage. A man of strength of character. John will be missed

11. Bryan Tisch

Jan 22. 2021

Mike and family, I’m sorry to learn of your loss. Wishing you the best during this tough time.

12. Don Hough

Feb 18. 2021

RIP John saw you at a class reunion years ago and find you left us for a higher place, will always remember our jr high and high school competitions in sports and the help offered in study halls when needed! Blessings to your family. Don Hough Scottsdale Arizona