Robert Sensow, 1942-2021

Robert Frederick Sensow, 78, of La Porte, Ind., passed away Friday, Feb. 19, 2021, at his home surrounded by his family.

He was born Feb. 26, 1942, in La Porte to Fred C. and Bernice Gertrude (Vardaman) Sensow.

Robert retired from NIPSCO as a CDL instructor and formerly worked with Pullman Standard Railroad, served as Chief of Police with the Long Beach Police Department, and was an officer with the La Porte County Sheriff’s Department. He and his wife owned Plain & Fancy Antiques on Johnson Road, where Bob fulfilled the role of “Plain.” He was a loyal longtime member of First United Methodist Church of La Porte, Blue Knights Motorcycle Club and La Porte County Sheriff’s Mounted Posse. He was a 4-H Horse and Pony Leader for over 20 years, was a committee member of La Porte County Pioneer Land, and belonged to the Northwest Indiana Carriage and Sleigh Association, Equestrian Saddle Club and NIPSCO Retirees Club. He was a 1960 graduate of Union Mills High School in Union Mills, Ind.

Bob enjoyed spending time on his beloved family farm in Union Mills. He was known by his friends and loved ones for his witty and unique humor. His booming voice will be remembered by many as the announcer at 4-H Horse & Pony events at the La Porte County Fair for many years. He was sometimes known as “Buggy Bob” because of his interest in horsedrawn buggies and sleighs. As the organizer of the horse-drawn sleigh rallies in LaPorte, he was often seen in his top hat and red scarf.  He enjoyed spending time around the dining room table playing dominos with his grandchildren – games which often became quite competitive and lively.

On May 16, 1964, Robert married Loralee Aldendorf, who survives with their children, Robert “Kip” (Wendy) Sensow of Union Mills, Lora Lee-Ann (James A. “Andy”) Edwards of Aledo, Tex., and Amanda Charlotte (Benjamin) Tonagel of La Porte; grandchildren, Jeffrey Vervynckt, Cassidy Sensow, Kobe Robert Sensow, Lyla Edwards, Charlie Tonagel, Gray Edwards, Sawyer Tonagel, Brooks Frederick Tonagel, and Greta Tonagel; sister, Margaret Childress of La Porte; and his dog, Penny Girl.

He was preceded in death by siblings Karen Sue Sensow and Richard Sensow.

Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 23, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, La Porte. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24, at First United Methodist Church, La Porte, where visitation will be held from 10 a.m. until the service. Pastor Bob Vale will officiate.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to First United Methodist Church, 1225 Michigan Ave., La Porte, Ind. 46350; or the La Porte County Small Animal Shelter, 2855 W. Ind. 2, La Porte, Ind. 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below.

38 Responses to “Robert Sensow, 1942-2021”

1. John & Judy Hannon

Feb 20. 2021

Lori & Family, So sorry to hear of Bob’s passing, we will sure miss his sense of humor & all our motorcycle trips and evening rides in the summer nights it was a lot of fun, he was a good friend…he will surly be missed. You are in our prayers, John & Judy and Family

• David and Joan Luther

Feb 20. 2021

Lori you are in our thoughts and prayers at this time.

• Joel and Cheri Swan

Feb 21. 2021

We are feeling sad that we could not be with you and Bob at church. Sense COVID. We will miss his gentle giant friendly nature. Love and grace to you and kids.

• Diana Elshire

Feb 22. 2021

Dear Lori and family,
          So saddened by your loss of Bob. You were blessed. Another Angel in God’s Heaven….

Sincerely,
          Diana Elshire

• Davelle DeMarco

Dear Loralee and family,
        We are saddened to hear of Bob’s passing. He was a giving and helpful friend to many. We will miss his jovial nature and sense of humor. May good memories always bless you and your family.

• Karen and Carl Schultz

Lori and family,
      We are so sad to hear of Bob’s passing. He was always such a happy person and fun to be with. I will remember his laugh. Our love and prayers are with your family.

• John and Marcia Stroud

Feb 25. 2021

So sorry to hear about Bob’s passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

2. Carla Antos

Feb 20. 2021

Lori, loving thoughts and prayers to you and your family on Bob’s passing. What a wonderful gentle man who will be missed. I loved his sense of humor and his smile. I’m sorry I won’t be able to attend Bob’s viewing since I’m in Ft Wayne this month watching my new granddaughter. I will be thinking of you and your family. Love Carla

3. Julie Becknell

Feb 20. 2021

Loralee & Family, so sorry to hear of Bob’s passing. He was such a wonderful man & will be greatly missed. He was always so friendly & had a “twinkle” in his eyes. Please know you are in my thoughts & prayers

4. Sue and Neil Sult

Feb 20. 2021

We are so very sorry to learn of Bob’s passing. We have so many memories of great times with you and Bob. Praying for God to comfort you and give you and your family strength. I’m so very, very sorry we will not be able to come up to LaPorte to be with you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Love you Lorie.

• Karen Kleist

Feb 21. 2021

Lori, Norm & I are so very sorry to hear of Bob’s passing. We will keep you and your family in our prayers.

5. Elizabeth (Singleton) Habdas

Feb 20. 2021

Dear Lori and family, I am so sorry and saddened to hear of Bob’s passing. I have always admired you two, a loving devoted couple. I remember when we all were first married what fun good times we had . Bob’s laughter and sparkle in his eyes were always such a gift to be with him. God has blessed you and he with beautiful memories, I’m so glad I could be a part of them. God comfort you Lori and your family. Love and prayers, Betty and James

6. Mike Kellems

Feb 20. 2021

I’m incredibly sorry to learn of Bob’s passing… I was fortunate to have had several chats with him over the years about the “good old days” when he served as a police officer. I found Bob to be a genuine person full of god old fashioned wisdom and thoroughly enjoyed listening to his stories.

My thoughts and prayers are with Bob’s loved ones.

• Kathy Tucek

Feb 21. 2021

I’m so sad to hear of Bob’s passing this morning, Lori, Amanda, and the entire family. But I am so thankful to have sweet memories while visiting Amanda. I will always remember his gentle nature and laughing a lot when at the house! He was always so friendly and kind. I am praying for all of you this week, for comfort and peace from the Lord…”Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” Matthew 5:4

7. Stephen Leliter

Feb 21. 2021

I remember how nice the Sensow family was at Crichfield School many years ago. The thousands of times going down Johnson Road I would glance at the property and hope the family was doing well. Sorry for your loss.

8. Richard Pate

Feb 21. 2021

Bob was a good friend and co-worker. He was always smiling and willing to help. I’m so sorry for your loss. He will be missed.

• DIANNE & Mick Bunton

Feb 21. 2021

Lori and family we are so sorry to hear of Bob’s passing.
      We have lived in YOUR neighborhood for 42 years.Bob has always been the mainstay and pillar of JOHNSON Rd.
      He will be missed, such a nice person

9. Les Todd

Feb 21. 2021

Lori…very sorry for your loss. You & Bob are a great couple.

10. Bob & Sharen Kooyenga

Feb 21. 2021

Lori, Kip, Lee Ann, Amanda and families.
    Sharen and I want to tell you how sorry we were to hear about Bob’s homegoing. He was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather. I am so glad that he and Dick were able to share some good years together. We will be praying for strength and comfort for all of you in the days ahead. We LOVE all of you and will continue to keep you in our prayers. See you soon.
    Bob & Sharen

11. Judy H Griffin

Feb 21. 2021

Sorry to hear of the loss of this wonderful man. He will be missed.
    Sending love, hugs and prayers.

12. Sue Pagels

Feb 21. 2021

Brian and I are so very sorry for your loss Lori and family. Always a kind and gentle man.

13. Dan and Karen Earl

Feb 21. 2021

We are so sorry to hear of Bob passing.prayers to to you and your family!

14. Carolyn Stevens

Feb 21. 2021

So sorry for your loss. I used to work with Bob at the NIPSCO Training Center. It was back when coworkers were like family! Loud, silly and full of laughter. Never a dull minute when Bob was in the room!! We’d go to the fairgrounds at lunch to wave at the announcer at the horse corrals. He’d wave and say something witty over the loud speaker! That was Bob!! He will be missed…

15. Virginia Behenna

Dear Loralee and family,

what a great man! oh how I loved his laugh, it could make anyone smile ! What a legacy he will leave behind ..
    deepest sympathy to all of you ❤️

Gin (Lamb)Behenna

• Dana Davis

Feb 21. 2021

Loralee and family, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. When I used to stop by Plain and Fancy, he was always so welcoming and kind. We still have items he worked his magic with. Loved having conversations with him. May wonderful memories be of comfort to you.

DANA L DAVIS

16. Jen VanMeter (Conboy)

Feb 21. 2021

My family and I are so saddened to hear of your loss- we have so many great 4-h memories with you all ❤️Prayers for comfort and peace

17. Cheryl wenzel

Feb 21. 2021

Lori, I’m so very sorry to hear about Bob. I have many memories visiting you both at antique shop in your barn. I loved all my treasures and will remember his smile and laughter he brought to the conversations . Keeping your family in my prayers❤️🙏🏼 Cheryl Wenzel

18. Anna Eskridge Lenardson

Feb 22. 2021

Peace to Bob and to all of you. Have always thought of your family as loving and full of life. What better way to honor Bob, father and grandfather by going forward with him in your hearts and the memories that you hold and share and continue loving and living life to the fullest. My prayers are with all of you.

19. David & Debbie Nielsen

Feb 22. 2021

Lori and Family,

We were so saddened to learn of Bob’s passing. Our deepest sympathies to you and your family. We hope that your many wonderful memories will sustain you at this difficult time.

We have many fond memories of us all doing the LaPorte Antique Show at the fairgrounds.

Bob was a wonderful man who will be sorely missed by all family and friends.

20. Susan Taylor

Feb 22. 2021

Lori so sorry for your loss. He will be greatly missed.

21. Prosper family

Feb 22. 2021

Lori and family, we are so very sorry for the loss of Bob. He will be greatly missed and both of you are the best neighbors. We are here for you anytime

• Prosser family

Feb 23. 2021

Lori, we are so very sorry for your loss. Bob will be greatly missed. You both have been great neighbors. We are always here if you ever need anything.

22. Chuck Soderquist

Feb 22. 2021

Loralee, please accept my condolences.

23. Douglas Warner

Feb 24. 2021

Bob was a gentle giant and fun to know. He was my CDL teacher at Nipsco we had a great time and he never had to sing Jesus take the wheel. There was a loose nut behind the wheel but he was ok with that. He was a good man and I am proud to say I was a friend. God bless the family Bob has gone home. In love Douglas Warner.

24. Diane Ohime Whitt

Feb 24. 2021

Lori so sorry to see Bob has passed. I was on FB and happened to see his service. God’s peace to you and your family.

25. Frank & Sharon Humphrey

Feb 24. 2021

Lori,,our sincere condolences to you and your family. May Bob rest in the loving arms of our Lord.

26. Amanda Tonagel

Feb 26. 2021

Thank you all for the condolences on the passing of my dad. He was a wonderful man and will be missed greatly!