LP County Fair Board cancels July Morgan Wallen concert

Morgan Wallen

The La Porte County Fair Board has canceled its July concert deal with country singer Morgan Wallen, it announced in a press release today. Earlier this month Wallen was caught on videotape using the “N” word.

The fair board’s Feb. 22 press release states:

“In recent days, the fair board has spent significant time reviewing its options with respect to the Morgan Wallen concert scheduled for July 14. This has included conversations with numerous officials within the community, including the La Porte County Commissioners, County sheriff, County Council president, as well as their respective attorneys. After much consideration, the decision has been made to cancel this concert. For those that purchased tickets, full refunds will be issued and are expected to be processed within 10 business days. We appreciate everyone’s patience as we address this and, as always, appreciate your support of the La Porte County Fair.”

Neighbors’ videos captured Wallen yelling the derogatory word and other profanities outside his house in Nashville, according to national media reports. He and his friends had been out on the town and were being very loud, neighbors said.

Wallen apologized publicly after the incident: “I’m embarrassed and sorry. I used an unacceptable and inappropriate racial slur that I wish I could take back. There are no excuses to use this type of language, ever. I want to sincerely apologize for using the word. I promise to do better.”

In 2019 Wallen won a Country Music Association Award for New Artist of the Year.

40 Responses to “LP County Fair Board cancels July Morgan Wallen concert”

1. Scott

Feb 22. 2021

Hurtful word to say. Too bad it’s in so many rap songs.

• citizen

Feb 22. 2021

Oh my word! This is crazy. Now you have to watch what you say in the privacy of your own home. Yegads! What is this world coming to? All this just for saying one word.

• Bob

Feb 22. 2021

If you are not happy what the fair did, then you don’t have to attend. That’s what’s great about our country. Morgan who??? Bring back Willie Nelson.

• Slicer

Feb 23. 2021

I don’t think any rappers were invited to play at the fair, so it’s a moot point.

• Wiley

Feb 24. 2021

I hope they had to pay him. The fair deserves to lose their shirt for embracing the cancel culture and making such a cowardly decision.

2. MeNotYou

Feb 22. 2021

While I do not agree with his actions, I am more saddened by LaPorte joining the “cancel culture” movement. We are losing our humanity when we forget how to forgive.

3. Kendrick

Feb 22. 2021

That’s not an excuse that it’s used in rap songs. The word has different significance when a white person says it to a black person. He is a grown man using a term he had no business using. Great Job LaPorte!

4. Jerry Gray

Feb 22. 2021

The other words who used are socially acceptable. Truly a sad commentary about society.

5. G.Gottio

Feb 22. 2021

Yes so many rappers use this word in many songs. I suppose if he was of color it would’ve been alright

• Scott

Feb 22. 2021

So Kendrick- Your saying if you’re the right color it’s perfectly fine to say that ugly word. OK gotcha 👌

• J

Feb 22. 2021

Is that not clear enough for you Scott? I agree with Kendrick 100%. How can you possibly argue that it’s comparable for a black artist to use the word as a part of their art (a reflection of their reality) and a white guy using it in an obviously hateful way. It seems to me that some of you are more bent out of shape about not being able to be openly racist without repercussions than you are about this guy getting “cancelled”. Times are changing for the better when it comes to this type of hate being called out. Be on the right side of history.

• Kendrick

Feb 22. 2021

Scott. When you grew up in this world you learn words that are acceptable and what’s not. People say he made a mistake. It’s clear that he uses that word often. You don’t accidentally say the N word. Everybody knows the significance of that world especially coming for the majority compared to the minority. Blacks suffered through slavery, discrimination and wrongful convictions where they were called the N word. I think when something happens often we would dropped the F bomb. He got caught and it’s time to move forward in this world. People like Morgan Wallen is the problem and people who stand up for them talking about “cancel culture” are the bigger problem. This is coming from a black man in your community.

• Citizen

Feb 23. 2021

It’s been a rough year for everyone. He apologized. With so many other people that made apologies and then it was considered to be good enough and forgave the person and give them another chance. What else will LaPorte take away from this community entertainment wise. People need some good entertainment outlets for sure!

• Dan In LP

Feb 23. 2021

I agree with you 100%, Kendrick. Well said!

• Adrian

Feb 23. 2021

Ok I get the Fair boards decision so now what will they feel compelled to book a gangsta rap gig or maybe hip hop to make double sure they’re politically correct ?

• Dan In LP

Feb 23. 2021

Why not? It is funny how the only performances at the LP County Fair have been country music or classic rock groups (of the rockabilly variety). Why not mix it up with some other varieties of music?

Morgan himself said he didn’t want his fans to come to his defense. I am a fan of his music, but I WON’T come to his defense. He was wrong, and mistakes have consequences. My grandfather used to tell me that sometimes an education is expensive. He is experiencing that now. We all have the freedom to say what we want, but what we say is not immune to public scrutiny and opposition.

Also, it is 100% different if a black man says that word as opposed to a white person. There are certainly some who say it should be removed from their vernacular as well, but that doesn’t give white people the right to use it as a term of disrespect or hatred. Ignorance is not an excuse.

6. lawman

Feb 23. 2021

Dan the reason its rock and roll or country is because THATS what the majority of people want to hear. so you go ahead and bring in a hip hop band and see how many you draw-the idea for the fair board is to make money is to make money!!!! not be politically correct like the recent surges around the country.

• Dan In LP

Feb 24. 2021

You are making an assumption here, lawman. How do you know that country and rock is the only music genre people will travel to see? My assumption is that the fair board only WANTS TO OFFER those genres.

Hip hop isn’t the only alternative either:
      -Indie
      -Alternative
      -Pop
      -Modern Rock
      -Funk
      -Blues

There are many great bands/artists in each of these genres as well.

Just saying, mix it up!

7. Bob worley

Feb 23. 2021

How many people use that word and don’t mean no harm it’s just a word my big thing is why is it fair for a black gentleman or woman to call a white person honky or cracker and nothing is said about that the problem with this world anymore is everybody’s feelings get hurt get off the little girl panties let’s put on the big boys and girls pants

8. Slicer

Feb 23. 2021

Since this is a public concert hosted at the fairgrounds, which the county owns, it was the right decision. If a private club still wants to host him after saying what he did, that’s on them. But, the county has an obligation to create environments that are welcoming to all of its people. Kudos to the fair board, who made a difficult but appropriate decision.

9. Kendrick

Feb 24. 2021

Bob people like yourself are the problem. Let’s be honest. Would you offended if anybody call you a honky or whatever? You are the majority. Its degrading when a white person says it to a black male. There is a thing called slavery, segregation and etc. People aren’t getting their feelings hurt, people are tired of all this white privilege. Maybe get off your high horse and talk to some blacks and see how they feel about it. All we want in this world is to be treated equally and to have the same chances as the whites. If you don’t think it is true then I hope you go do your research.

• Sick of Whiners

Feb 24. 2021

Kendrick, it sounds like you are projecting your discriminatory views onto others. White privilege? What is that? I’m a 40 something Caucasian male. I’ve been in the workforce since my sophomore year in high school. I amassed student loans so I could go to college and I worked while in college. My student loans were paid off by me, not forgiven by the government. Everything I have today was earned. Nothing was handed to me on a platter. Instead of spouting off your discriminatory views on social media, perhaps you should devote your time and energy towards earning what you want.

• Kendrick

Feb 24. 2021

*tone deaf. I agree with the board decision. I hope we can have progress in this world instead of people thinking it’s giving into “cancel culture”. Just do what’s right and treat others the way you want to be treated.

• Kendrick

Feb 25. 2021

Nobody is looking for handouts. What Blacks want is equality and the same chances whites get. Blacks have always been behind in society and its time for things to change. Its not only Blacks.. Hispanics, woman, Asian, etc. You paid your loans that’s great. You work that’s great. I earned a scholarship in athletics. You have to work for those. Don’t let your political ways get in the way of some guy like Morgan Wallen who got caught saying something he shouldn’t say. Should his career be over. NO. Should he be held responsible for his actions? YES. Nobody is going to accept an apology that his manager typed up. We need action and he needs to show that by reaching out to poor communities and also promoting equality and change. This isn’t about ‘cancel culture’, this is about doing what is right and being the change to make this country a better place. So I’m confused.. what do your student loans and work have to do with Morgan Wallen?

• Sick of Whiners

Feb 25. 2021

Kendrick, I’ll spell it out for you. You specifically are as prejudiced towards Caucasians as you claim Morgan wallen and others are towards African Americans. There is a critical difference though. Morgan wallen was man enough to admit he was wrong.

• Kendrick

Feb 25. 2021

That’s crazy considering I live in this community where I have a great reputation and am married to a White woman. I grew up and around people and I’m not prejudice because I was raised not to and stand firmly on my beliefs. So your point isn’t valid . What am I wrong about?

• J

Feb 25. 2021

Whiners – seriously just stop. Your white privilege is absolutely disgusting. Kendrick I am truly sorry that there are people like this in the very community you call home. A lot of disgusting people here in the comments.

• Dan In LP

Feb 25. 2021

“Whiner”, why are we so hesitant to forgive student loans for poor & underprivileged populations, but so willing to give tax abatement after tax abatement for MULTI MILLION/BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATIONS? Oh, that’s right, because they are the job creators…Well they spend $30-40K to save $30-40 Million..Sorry for getting off topic here. Just so tired of fake news.

Kendrick, keep fighting the good fight. I hope one day we all can judge people “Not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character”! Unfortunately, too many on this forum would never want that to happen.

• Sick of Whiners

Feb 25. 2021

J, you are just as prejudiced as Kendrick. Your use of the phrase “white privilege” is as hurtful to Caucasians as that evil word that started this whole thread.

10. Jeff Barnard

Good job, LP fair board!
    Perhaps he should also be imprisoned? I wonder if that is possible?
    He certainly doesn’t deserve to be forgiven and continue to have his career. When someone has the indecency to say something vile, that individual should forfeit all his rights to “Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”.
    No county fair board should ever allow someone to perform after saying something so egregious; he should now forfeit his entire career and suffer for the rest of his life.
    He apologized?
    Who needs such sophomoric ideals as forgiveness, redemption and the ability to make amends publicly? That’s for fools.
    He said a hateful thing and now he needs to suffer for the rest of his natural life.
    I’m with the rest who are glad he’s being punished out of his livelihood.
    So what?

• Dan In LP

Feb 25. 2021

He will bounce back, after paying his debt in the court of public opinion. Remember this is also the guy who hosted a concert this fall in a Georgia Bar violating mask/population/social distancing mandates. Unfortunately, his popularity has gone to his head, he thought his “good ole boy” attitude would make him immune to public scrutiny. He was wrong.

• J

Feb 25. 2021

Whiners you are out of your damn mind. If you don’t understand what white privilege looks like then you’re not intelligent enough to argue with. I promise you that you weren’t born a racist bigot though. That you must have picked up from whoever raised you. It’s sad.

• Sick of Whiners

Feb 25. 2021

J, I haven’t said anything racist or bigoted. I have simply called out your and Kendricks prejudices.

• J

Feb 25. 2021

Whiners, in your unsuccessful attempt to equate
            the term “white privilege” to using the n word, you are inherently minimizing the meaning and deep-rooted pain that black people associate that word with. Telling someone they have white privilege isn’t hateful in any way. The things you’ve said here are. It’s unfortunate that there are too many people that still think like you. Do better.

• Sick of Whiners

Feb 25. 2021

J, you are wrong. “White privilege” is extremely hateful and prejudicial. It is just as bad as the other word. It marginalizes Caucasians and suggests the only reason they can be successful is because of their skin color.

11. lawman

Feb 25. 2021

Dan in LP-for a guy who says other peoples posts are ”opinion” i don’t see a lot of FACTS in your posts-just YOUR opinion!

• J

Feb 25. 2021

Look who’s talking “lawman”! You seem hell bent on spewing your opinions on almost every post on this website. Like every post here that has even the slightest chance of political discourse, I seem to always find your name right in the middle of it all. Don’t you have anything better to do? It’s pathetic.

• Dan In LP

Feb 28. 2021

Lawman, in your efforts to quickly condemn my statements, you missed my comment that they were “my assumption”. Please read again…

12. Sick of Whiners

Feb 25. 2021

Kendrick, your statement about “white privilege” is a prejudicial attitude. You think that all Caucasians have it easy. You do not accidentally say “white privilege,” it is clear that you say that often and that you obsess about skin color.

13. lawman

Feb 25. 2021

J – at least I get you going!