Moments in time … in photographs

 

Photos and information courtesy of La Porte County Historical Society Museum 

The reference room in the old La Porte Library building at 805 Maple Ave., currently occupied by the firm Parkison & Hinton. The lot was purchased on May 1, 1876, for $1,200 by the La Porte Library and Natural History Association. A 25-by-70-foot building was constructed by Folant & Evory and it served as the first library building at the 805 Maple location. The earliest library, established in 1834 or 1835, was located in a corner of the office of attorney and judge John B. Niles.

Clerk Annie Bowman is pictured here at work at Rainsberger’s Variety Store, owned by H.M. Rainsberger. The store was located at 818 Lincoln Way, the current location of Wilson’s Barbershop, across from the courthouse.

The interior of the brand new La Porte Post Office (now City Hall) in 1912.

No comments.

Leave a Reply