Susan Weliver, 1942-2021

Susan Ann Weliver, 78, of La Porte, Ind., passed away Sunday, Feb. 28, 2021, at her home surrounded by her family.

She was born Oct. 24, 1942, in La Porte to Joseph Czanderna and Rose Boone.

Susan was a bus driver for many years with the La Porte Community Schools.  She was a member of St. Peter Catholic Church and the St. Theresa Circle.

On March 3, 1962, Susan married Harry Leroy Weliver, who survives with their children, Laura Wood of South Bend, Ind., Kristine (Bartt) Smith of Union, Mich., Angela Creighton of Lexington, S.C., and Greg Weliver of La Porte; grandchildren, Alex Wood, Eli Wood, Charlie Creighton, Rhiley McIntire, Jenalee Weliver, Matthew (Autumn) Weliver, Connor Smith, and Macy Smith; great-grandchildren, Lilah, Gracelyn, Scarlett, Teagan and Taytum; and siblings, Sylvia Henry of La Porte, Michael (Kay) Czanderna of La Porte, Lisa (Larry) Johns of La Porte, Joe (Kathi) Czanderna of Kansas City, Kan., and Patrick Czanderna of Greenville, Mich.

She was preceded in death by her parents; siblings, Rita Waldrop and Jeffery Czanderna; and son-in-law, Tony Wood.

Visitation will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 3, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, La Porte, where a family eulogy will be held at 7 p.m. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Thursday, March 4, at St. Peter Catholic Church, La Porte. Burial will follow at Pine Lake Cemetery, La Porte.  Family and friends may gather Thursday at 9 a.m. at the funeral home.

Memorial contributions may be made to St. Peter Catholic Church, 1101 Michigan Ave., La Porte, Ind. 46350; or Play for Jake Foundation, 612 Monroe St.,, La Porte, Ind. 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below.

12 Responses to “Susan Weliver, 1942-2021”

1. Cathy Farrington

Mar 02. 2021

Sorry for the families loss. Susan was one very special lady and friend. RIP

2. Bette Conroy

Mar 02. 2021

So sorry for your loss. The family is in my prayers.

3. Joyce Odell Kessler

Mar 02. 2021

Harry and family I am so sorry for your loss. I let my daughter Melissa know because you two were her Godparents.

4. Charles & Bev. Noel

Mar 02. 2021

So sorry to hear of Susan’s passing. Lots of good times together in our younger days.

5. Corey and Rita Goers

Mar 02. 2021

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

• Linda and Terry

Mar 02. 2021

I still can’t believe Susie is gone. We have many fond memories of the great times we had with all of you at the family reunions. We sure miss those days. May God bring you comfort and peace and may you forever hold all of the wonderful memories in your heart. ❤️

• Bob & Sue Mohlke

Mar 03. 2021

Harry & family
      So sorry to hear of your loss. May she rest in peace and God be with all of you in this difficult time!!!

6. Frank Zolvinski

Mar 02. 2021

I have some great memories of Suzie, as a Catechist at St. Peters and driving school bus. She always brought a smile to my face. May she rest in peace.

7. Kristi Grott Chadderdon

Mar 02. 2021

I am so sorry to hear this. I loved Suzie! Thoughts and prayers.

8. Melissa Freeland

Mar 02. 2021

I am so sorry to hear of Suzie passing. Please know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you, Harry, and your family. I have great memories of you two, and think of you often. Rest in Piece Suzie you are loved and will be missed.

9. Kim Noe

Mar 10. 2021

I am so very sorry. Suzie was a wonderful person. My girls loved her as their bus driver, she was absolutely their favorite. Love and prayers to all of your family.

10. Jo LeRoy Schlager

Mar 20. 2021

Greg, sorry about your Mom. I went to school at St Pete’s and worked with Rachel at hospital. Knew your grampa and grama too. Your Mom was the best. The apple does not fall far from the tree…Jo