Deborah “Debbie” Deckard, 1953-2021

Deborah “Debbie” Deckard, 68, of La Porte, Ind., passed away Friday, April 30, 2021.

She was born April 6, 1953, in Michigan City, Ind., to Duane and Josephine (Schnick) Lantz.

Deborah was a foster mom for many years, a nurse at St. Anthony Hospital for over 40 years, and a member of Scipio Township Fire Department and State Street Community Church. She loved camping, softball, Notre Dame, family, and being from her Pinola community.

She is survived by her children, Michael (Kristie) Deckard, Matthew (Kaelynn) Deckard, Mark Deckard, Alexandria Deckard, Christopher Scalf, and Karissa Deckard; grandchildren, Brooklynn, Samantha, Kendel, Mason, and Morgan; siblings, Jackie (John) Steele, David Lantz, Janet (Bob) Schmidt, Donna (Lynn) Warner, Dennis (Leslie) Lantz, Jeff (Sue) Lantz, Doreen (Dan) Hammons, and Joyce (Robin) Schultz; a special neighbor and grandma to many, Helen Erickson; and former husband, Jack Deckard.

She was also preceded in death by her former husband, Henry Scalf, and friend, Walter “Pete” Sass.

Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 4, at Frank L. Keszei Funeral Home, Essling Chapel, La Porte. A funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 5, at the funeral home, where family and friends may visit from noon to 1 p.m. Pastor Nate Loucks will officiate. Burial will follow in Door Village Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to Scipio Township Fire Department, 0693S CR-500W, LaPorte, Ind. 46350; or CASA Family Advocates, 1005 Michigan Ave., La Porte, Ind. 46350.

Messages of condolence may be posted below.

8 Responses to “Deborah “Debbie” Deckard, 1953-2021”

1. cynthia dorman

May 03. 2021

so very sorry for your loss God Bless you all.

2. Sally

May 03. 2021

A Great nurse, gave her all. Also warm hearted caring person who I was glad to know, my sympathy to her family.

3. Sherry

May 03. 2021

The entire Lantz family is all about the love. We will miss you Debbie. Rest In Paradise. ❤️

4. Patti

May 03. 2021

What a loss for us all. She was love and light in this world. Our hearts are sad for her children and siblings.

• Dave Lowery

May 04. 2021

Ao sorry for your loss. It truly breaks my heart

• Erica Gauger

May 05. 2021

I loved deb
        She always said to me when you gonna come over and go swimming or hang with me
        When are you gonna become a nurse, sadly last time I talked to Deb was the day before she retired and I was moving to Arizona Deb was like a mom to me and I wish I spent more time with her. May she Rest In Peace and prayers for her children and family

5. Amber Olson List

May 06. 2021

I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. I knew Debbie as a kid. I’m part of the extended Pinola and Westville communities. Although I did know Debbie, I was a classmate of Dave, worked with Jeff and knew Janet the best. May she Rest in Peace.

6. Mary Ellen Hofer

May 06. 2021

I worked with Debbie many years ago when she was a nursing student. I was the nurse on a mid nite shift and she was assigned to my floor asa student. As they say, things get crazy during the night and we had a lot of crazy but fun experiences together. I loved working with Debbie. So sorry to see this. Prayers to the family