Moments in time … in photographs: Lenick’s, Lake Shore and a mystery man

Photos and information courtesy of La Porte County Historical Society Museum

(Click on photos to enlarge)

Got a taste for a homemade malt? This photo of the Lenick’s Dairy sign was taken on June 28, 1953. Lenick’s was located at the corner of Brighton and Pulaski streets in La Porte. It was founded in 1908 by Frank Lenick, a buttermaker who went into business after some dairy farmers convinced him to distribute their milk. By 1914, the dairy produced its first pasteurized bottle. Lenick started making ice cream a year later, and in 1934 opened the soda fountain. Fred Lenick, and later his son, Norman, ran the operation until it closed in the 1980s.

The Lake Shore Café was located at the southwest corner of Michigan and Washington streets in La Porte, in the block where the county complex stands now. It was named when the Penn Central Railroad was the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern and ran on the tracks across the street. This photo is dated January 6, 1973.

Does anyone have information about this well-decorated “Mr. Carr”? On several parts of his uniform are the words “Hertfordshire Assistant.” If anyone has information, please call the museum at 219-324-6767.

12 Responses to “Moments in time … in photographs: Lenick’s, Lake Shore and a mystery man”

1. Charles

Jun 09. 2021

Mr. Carr appears to be dressed in Masonic attire from a British lodge “Hertfordshire”.

2. Wonderful

Jun 09. 2021

Thank you so much for sharing LaPorte history with us! Keep the photos coming!

3. lawman

Jun 09. 2021

maybe he was a bartender at lakeshore. that place had great lunches.

4. Rick Henderson

Jun 09. 2021

Great photos. And they’re clickable again! Thanks WNLP!

5. Sharon

Jun 09. 2021

The Lake Shore Cafe…Was that later Schaffer’s Laundry?

• Mike K

Jun 09. 2021

No, the laundry was at the northwest corner of State and Michigan. The Diner was one block north and would’ve been diagonal from present day Ludwig’s.

6. lawman

Jun 09. 2021

i believe Lakeshore relocated to washington st. the old original wooden bar is still in that location .?

• Kasey

Jun 09. 2021

Yes lawman, I believe you are correct. Currently ringers bar and grill has the wooden bar and mirrored back.

7. Barefoot Maleman

Jun 09. 2021

Ahhh, Lenick’s Dairy…The days of a 40 cent malt and an ice cold glass of frothy whole milk for 10 cents. Where many romances began. Even the juke box was classic…

• Sharon

Jun 09. 2021

As a teenager I was a fountain girl at Lenick’s! I concur with you that it was a classic. What I would give to re-live those days. I was making 50¢ an hour plus tips. One day Norm Lenick came in and wanted to talk to me about my work. Oh-oh. Low and behold, he commended my work and said he was giving me a nickel raise!! I was on Cloud Nine!!

• Pat

Jun 09. 2021

Lakeshore Cafe!!💕I have great memories of the snowstorm of 1967. My dad was stuck at KOP, and my mom took 5 kids to the train station in a cab, so we could go to Detroit for a family wedding. My favorite part of this story is, we were at the station for over 7 hours, and my mom was playing Euchre with a group of folks. A total stranger took us 5 kids across the street to the Lakeshore Cafe for Burgers and Fries!

8. Charlie Maslankowski

Jun 11. 2021

I remember this blizzard as a kid growing up. One of my best friends was Jack McMurry and the family lived right across from Holy Family Hospital. He saw people being brought in by tank – yes a tank! That was the only vhicle capable of getting expecting mothers, nurses and anyone needing medical care into LaPorte! I’m sure there are many old enough to have other great stories to share.