Moments in Time … in photographs

 

Photos and information from La Porte County Historical Society Museum

(Click on photos to enlarge)

The Tivoli Theatre in Michigan City (here in 1937) was built in 1922 on the site of the Grand Opera House/Orpheum Theatre, which was destroyed in a 1921 fire. The almost 1,300-seat Tivoli cost over $300,000 to build and featured a stage, orchestra pit and balcony. It originally hosted vaudeville and stage shows, and then movies. From 1957 to 1961, it was the venue for the Miss Indiana Pageant. It closed in 1972 and was razed in 1973.

Charles Arnt (1906-1990), born in Michigan City, was a movie actor from 1933 to 1962. He graduated from Princeton and became a banker after college. He began acting at Princeton, where he founded the University Players along with fellow students Henry Fonda and James Stewart, and finally found success on Broadway. In 1962, he retired from acting and bought a ranch on Orcas Island in the state of Washington.

This strategically loaded truck was owned by the Haviland Transfer & Storage Company, located in its early days at 120 E. Michigan St., Michigan City. The company, owned by F.B. Haviland, was established in 1903. The firm later became Haviland-Callan and now the business continues as Callan & Woodworth Moving & Storage at 900 Ind. 212, Michigan City.

No comments.

Leave a Reply