Moments in Time … in photographs

 

These dapper young men were members of a La Porte men’s social club at the turn of the century. The social aspects of their club likely consisted of evenings spent with a pool cue or sauntering down Lincoln Way. These “men only” clubs often did charity work as well.

Leonard Hoover’s Restaurant was located at 1020 Lincoln Way in 1926. Lenny, seen in the foreground, ran a number of restaurants and taverns throughout his years in La Porte. The building went on to become Hartmann’s Tavern, then Kabelin’s annex.

These signs were part of a group of markers erected by the state highway department at historic spots in the county for the La Porte County Historical Society. From left: Dr. S. Arthur Stewart, society treasurer; Victor Schultz and Edward Richman of the highway department; and Lorenz Schumm, society president. This photo was taken May 9, 1941.

No comments.

Leave a Reply