Donna Jo Eaton, 1953-2021 (updated)

Donna Jo Eaton, 68, died peacefully in the company of her children at home on Aug. 6, 2021, after a courageous battle with lymphoma and secondary leukemia.

She was born March 19, 1953, in La Porte, Ind.

Donna Jo lived the majority of her life in Union Mills, Ind., where she was married and began her family. She served as a teacher at South Central Elementary for 36 years before retiring and moving to Indianapolis to help care for her grandchildren. Donna Jo was an active member of Bethel Presbyterian Church in Union Mills for over 40 years, where she taught Sunday school and sang in the choir. In addition to performing in church, Donna Jo contributed her musical talents to many other functions in the community, including singing at weddings and funerals. She was a caring and devoted mother, grandmother and friend. She enjoyed reading, singing, crosswords, and spending time enjoying her grandchildren.

Donna Jo is survived by her children, Nathan Eaton (Wendy Eaton) and Abigail Eberhard (Aaron Eberhard); her grandchildren, Bella Eaton, Truett Eberhard and Mathis Eberhard; and her brother, David Wakeman.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Donald and Doris Wakeman, and her sister, Devonna Wakeman.

A memorial service will be held at South Central High School on Saturday, Oct. 16, at 11 a.m. with a receiving line to follow. The doors will open at 10 a.m. and the service will start promptly at 11 a.m. in the north gym with the receiving line to follow. A luncheon will take place following the service at the Noble Township Fire Station in Union Mills at 2:30 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made in Donna Jo’s memory to Bethel Presbyterian Church, 110 Hamilton St., Union Mills, Ind. 46382.

Additional details about Donna Jo’s memorial service may be found at Visit Donna Jo Eaton’s Memorial Website.

8 Responses to “Donna Jo Eaton, 1953-2021 (updated)”

1. Gail Johnson

Aug 24. 2021

My heart cries for your loss, Wakeman clan but rejoices in the faith that Donna Jo is full and whole and in our Father’s arms. I know you will continue to hear her voice.

2. Rob and barb and family

Aug 24. 2021

To the wakeman family, So sorry for your loss.our prayers to the family. Such a great loss RIP Donna jo

3. Howie and Donna Hunsley

Aug 24. 2021

Nathan, Abby and David,

Our heartfelt sympathies to you and your families. Donna Jo was a kind, beautiful and wise soul. She will be missed by so many. I’ll never forget how sweet she was to my mom. Please know we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Howie, Donna and Holleigh Hunsley

4. Drew Buchanan

Aug 24. 2021

Donna Jo was the most lovely person inside and out. I’m so thankful to have known her. She had such an impact on me and so many. It’s hard to believe she’s not with us anymore. RIP sweet Donna Jo.

5. Linda L Chipman

Aug 25. 2021

Donna Jo was my 5th grade teacher for the first half of my 5th grade year. I remember her enthusiasm and friendliness, and reading stories to us. She was one of my favorite teachers. I’m very sorry for your loss and pray that God will comfort and strengthen you.

6. della and dave hatfield

Aug 26. 2021

I was honored yp know
    donna as a friend, a fellow teacher,,
    she was a true joy to know
    I will always remember her smile, her laugh, and her BIG heart.
    Rest easy, dear friend!

7. Dottie Davis

Sep 04. 2021

Nathan and Abby,
    I just learned of your wonderful mother’s passing. My heart hurts for you and your families (including Mary and Carl). I had such a fun time teaching with Donna Jo at SC. She was an inspiring teaching and a wonderful friend. I know she had a strong faith, and I know she is now in the arms of our Father.

8. Linda pardue

Sep 13. 2021

To Nathan and Abby and Donna Jo’s beloved family.
    I truly treasure the memory of Donna Jo. First as my children’s teacher. So was a wonderful teacher: adoring, inspiring, compassionate and dedicated to each child. My kids greatly benefitted. All 3 were saddened by this news.
    Later Donna Jo was my Valued collegiate and dear friend. I will always appreciate and love Her And remember her smile and laugh. . You are in my prayers.